Chapala.com Webboard

Death Certificates here in Mexico

latraviesa

My husband passed away in Jocotepec in 2011. Many things are happening and I now need more ORIGINAL Death Certificates. One thing needed is a form, which I did not receive at the time of his death, concerning an American dying abroad. This will be done in Mexico City for me but they are asking for a 'new, original Death Certificate'...I have one left....3 different things have popped up and now everyone wants and original. I live in Guanajuato state. The only original DC I have states the death is 'under investigation'...this is also causing problems. I demanded an investigation, hired a lawyer, whose name I cannot recall, and nothing, of course, was ever done.

I´ve been to the American Consul here in San Miguel. All they can tell me is to phone the Registro Civil either here or in Jalisco and ask them how to get another original, new DC...I don´t even know WHAT to ask for...this doesn´t make any sense to me....know one here can answer my questions...any answers out there?

What you want is an "Acta de Defuncion" (death certificate), and you get it from the registro civil in the municipality where the death occurred.

When I was trying to get copies of my father's death certificate, I first went to Chapala. They found his info on the computer, but then said that since he died in Guadalajara, I'd have to go there. I did, and it was easy and fast. And cheap, as I remember.

Don't know how you do it long distance. If you don't know anyone in Jocotepec, maybe you could hire a facilitator from there to to it. It really is a simple process.

Hi, my office can help, we can also get an apostille on each one as well as translate them to English as official translators.

Archived