Chapala.com Webboard

How to use an I phone in Mexico

Remi

I live full time in Mexico but I am going to the States and want to buy an iPhone that I can use anywhere in the world, including the U.S. I see online where you can unblock i phones for free. Has anyone done this? Anything I need to know? Where do I obtain a sim card and phone number for it? Do I need to be on a plan for the sim card? I am curious stupid!!!!

Also, I've been told the iPhone 5 series is larger than the 6, which I like. Any disadvantages? On a sim card can I still hook up to wifi for free? What about the GPS? Does anyone have advice about the best/cheapest place to buy an I Phone? Anything you can tell me to help, I will appreciate. I am a Mac person and understand most on a Mac but know nothing of the IPhone, it's capabilities and what is necessary. Thanks.

eBay auctions is a great place to start, you can see what is available and by looking at "completed" listings you can see what they actually sold for. I have bought both an iPhone and a HTC One on eBay and have been happy with both phones and also the price.

The mimi-SIM's for newer phones may not be available at the little local phone stores like the standard for IPhone 3. May require a trip to the local Telcel office. Just get a pay-as-you-go Amigo plan. Your time/megs will go fast if using the Internet

We use an Iphone 4 & 5 in México. The 5 was purchased new at the apple store already unlocked and ready to use. The 4 was unlocked by the factory after we had completed our US contract with AT&T.

We found out after using an Iphone 3 that was unlocked but not by the factory, that the applications don't always work properly and some not at all if the phone is "unofficially" unlocked.

They are expensive to buy new. You can find them for sale on eBay or craigslist. You might want to specifically look for factory unlocked Iphone 5.

Telcel and Moviestar have the microchip to use. To access the internet you need WiFi and/or you can purchase a plan that includes data. I'm currently using Moviestar. I'm not locked into a contract. For 250 pesos I have all the data, text and airtime I need. Also, when we visit the US we use a microsim that AT&T offers for $2.00 per day. No charge for the SIM card. It does not include data so we just use WiFi when we're there.

I recently upgraded from an iPad 4s to an iPhone 6. I bought the new cell phone, unlocked, on eBay and shipped it to a friend who was coming to Mexico City, where I live.

Before I purchased the new iPhone 6, I did quite a bit of research. I found that many people who purchased the iPhone 5 when it came out have already upgraded to the 6 due to dissatisfaction with some of the features on the 5. Complaints range from fragility (the allegedly tough screen shatters when dropped, for example) and short battery life to problems with the phone's housing and poor camera quality.

The 4s uses a mini-chip. The 5 and 6 use a nano chip. Here's an Apple link so you can see the difference: https://support.apple.com/el-cy/HT5554

I was very happy with the 4s in all of its functions except the camera. Once I saw photos taken with the 6, I was incredibly impressed both with its retina HD screen (crystal clear) and the photos themselves. Here's another link to the Apple site giving you comparisons among the various models of iPhone 5, 5c, 6, and 6 plus: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

I wouldn't buy an iPhone as outdated as the 3 or 3s. Too much new technology has been added to the latest models.

One other thing: if you use a Mac computer, it is all but impossible to figure out how to sync your Mac with an android phone. It's a constant headache; I initially owned an android and switched to the iPhone because of incompatabilty issues.

If it were me, I'd skip the 5 and go directly to the 6. The 6 is bigger than the 5, but still very manageable. The 6 plus is too big for me, but it might be just right for your needs.

I live full time in Mexico but I am going to the States and want to buy an iPhone that I can use anywhere in the world, including the U.S. I see online where you can unblock i phones for free. Has anyone done this? Anything I need to know? Where do I obtain a sim card and phone number for it? Do I need to be on a plan for the sim card? I am curious stupid!!!!

Also, I've been told the iPhone 5 series is larger than the 6, which I like. Any disadvantages? On a sim card can I still hook up to wifi for free? What about the GPS? Does anyone have advice about the best/cheapest place to buy an I Phone? Anything you can tell me to help, I will appreciate. I am a Mac person and understand most on a Mac but know nothing of the IPhone, it's capabilities and what is necessary. Thanks.

Buy on eBay or any phone store. Get you sim card and number at any Telcel store. WiFi is free at hotspots, GPS is included. As a Mac person you will have an easy time. They're expensive but if it was me I'd buy an iPhone 6.

Archived