Chapala.com Webboard

Car Ground Cleatance

El Cartero

What car do you have with what ground clearance that you are or not having problems with topes, say from Ajijic go Jocotopec? Seems to me there was a high one in Ajijic, maybe on Hidalgo that was higher than most. Thanks

When I moved down 16 years ago I thought a convertible would be fun and brought a Chrysler Sebring. This car has a long overhang on the front that always scraped as I entered the Caraterra. I believe the long nose was more important than the inches of clearance. Now I have since had two Honda CRVs with 6 inch clearance and no long overhang front or back and am much happier. It never drags on topes or entering the caraterra.

There is a poster in Puerto Vallarta who has an off road truck with those giant tires/wheels. There was one tope on the highway which always attracted a transito. He made a point of speeding up, to the point of getting 'air time'. One day the transito had enough, and he gave him a ticket for what translates as "abusing a tope"! I am glad I have wide 31 inch tires, which I run at an all round 22 psi.

I have a 2006 Buick Allure, and have no idea of the clearance... just that it's very low. However, I got so tired of hitting even medium topes that I got the suspension system force-raised about 5" at a local shop, and have had no problems since. I still crawl over the damned things, though.

2014 Honda Fit, no problem, altho I am annoyed by the topes on the Ajijic/Joco line where the state police set up their long-abandoned checkpoints (pray that we do not need those again) AND one rough tope going into Joco, which has a broken edge and thus is a big thunk! I am lucky that I do not need to drive from Ajijic to Joco regularly. If I did, I would probably have gone ballistic or been reduced to a blithering :() by now.

We also had a smart car and were often asked how it handled topes. Just fine, as it has 15 inch wheels and normal tires and ground clearance too. Folks who want low slung cars with low profile tires will have problems, however, not just with topes, but also with baches. Low profile tires subject rims to damage, since they offer little cushioning. They also make for a harder ride.

Archived