Chapala.com Webboard

Driving cats to to Mexico

Zeb

I have done some reading about the requirements for bring pets across the border. Some of the posts are not recent, so I am posting the question. Also, I was unable to link to the gov link that was provided--not sure why.

We will be driving across with our two felines. I have read that often papers are not checked, however, I want to be prepared. Our cats were last vaccinated in 2012 and the vaccines is good through August 2015. They are both healthy. However, now that we will be moving with them, the rules change.

From what I understand, we need

1. Health certificate from a vet OR USDA and

2. Proof of vaccines with some date on it (the date part seems unclear to me)

If anyone can update us with what is needed......

Here is the Senasica website, if you have trouble go to the senasica. gob. mx website, look for the "mascotas" link, change the language to English and read the requirements. Mexico's pet requirements are much more stringent than the return to the US where only current rabies shots are required.

http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=623

Note that the APHIS form must be completed by an authorized vet (not all are) and the information must be entered onto the online form (no longer handwritten) and printed. And NO abbreviations...not month, not any. And there is a very short window from signature to border crossing before the form expires.

We've traveled for years by car with our pets; only once (this December) were we asked for the pet information. I travel with a folder with everything in it, with the APHIS forms on the top, followed by their vaccination histories on letterhead and we had no issue. As you noted, better safe than sorry.

After you complete it once, the process is super-simple.

And you might want to ask your current vet if it would be wise to update your vaccines prior to your trip and if anything else is recommended for here. August is only 5 months off, and you don't say when you are heading down...

Brought our cat in via the aeropuerto and they insisted on proof that the feline had been dewormed before making the trip. All we had on the vet certificate was that it had been checked for worms and was clear. They made us wait while they summoned a vet to come give it a pill at the aeropuerto before they would release it (and pay close to $100!!).

Following that brought another cat down by car and had all the necessary paperwork and was not even asked for it at the border crossing (Laredo). Go figure!

Ok. I just read and printed what what on the link provided, so thank you for that.

What is APHIS? We plan to arrive April or May, so that vaccine which will expire in August then should still be good. Since there is no exporter and importer, at least not professional ones, then that would just be our address and where are headed.

As to number 1, contacting SAGARPA-SENASICA,as we are driving, I'm thinking maybe none of that will happen at the Pharr or Laredo border crossing?

Then number 2 --the pet arriving without bedding, cloth material or accessories, as those will be destroyed and the pet will be sprayed! Oh my gosh, my poor cats. I have planned to have a pad in their kennels as it's a long drive.

I had read that people just get waived through with none of this as Ezzie stated.

Like you indicate, best to comply with the law and avoid complications or ill-health for your cats.

APHIS is Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, a division of the USDA that oversees animal welfare. Their APHIS form 7001 is the one that is referred to in the paperwork above and is the one used to transport pets internationally; remember, it has to be completed online by a certified vet (there is a list). You can find the template of the form at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/APHIS7001.pdf

We've never flown pets into Guadalajara because of horror stories a few years back about people whose pets had unpleasant experiences. Some people who had successful entry into the airport did so by having their Lakeside vet meet the plane and take possession of the pets, thereby facilitating the process and intervening in any potential spraying or inspection that might be stressful to the pets.

As for driving, I've never had an issue with bedding or crates, likely because one is a private vehicle, where theoretically any material could carry prohibited pests (think travel blankets, pillows, etc.) On commercial transport, however, bedding and stuffed toys can carry parasites, insects, etc. so it is not unreasonable that these materials are prohibited. So, these items trigger a visual inspection...removal of the items...and then everything else becomes suspect to the SAGARPA inspector. Best not to draw attention to oneself by violating a law...

The well-being of my pets warranted me erring on the side of (over)caution. The one time we were checked, we provided every paper to show full compliance with the export-import laws. Hope this helps.

If I am not coming in from United States then do I not need to go to APHIS. I know there was a choice between two forms to do. So the one on Vets stationary you have him fill it out online and then he prints it on his letterhead. Then you make a extra copy of it. I am in Ecuador and will fly from there to Mexico. Can both my cats be on the same form. Do I have to bring these to the Mexican embassy in Ecuador which is Quito. I just want to make sure I go thru the proper steps. It is very confusing to me since most are coming from the states and they might have extra things they have to do. I know it said the one form done with Vet's letterhead didn't have to be endorsed.

I have a copy of the PHIS form. I did call a vet to get health certificate and I really think it's outrageously expensive. Here's my question. Does anybody have the form they used (which is already completed)? I would really like to see what that looks like. I really take issue with $80 per cat.

First, technically rabies shots in Mexico are only good for 1 year. There are a few Vets locally giving 3 year shots but if you received any pushback, it might be regarding the shots. Also have the Vet mark that the cat had had flea/tick drops within 30 days. Depending on the Vet, health certificates can be very pricey. They charge that much because they can. They would probably say that 15 minutes of a Vet Tech's time to pull records and fill out the form so they can sign it....

When I have traveled with cats, (including driving to Mexico) I find that large flat people diapers or puppy piddle pads work best on the floor of the crate. If the cat potties in the crate - and it will - just toss out the old and toss in a new one. And the moisture is kept away from the cat until you can change the pad. Actually what I did was buy a small plastic box that fit across the rear 1/4 of the carrier. I drilled holes in the crate and in the side of the box and fastened the box with pipe cleaners. I put a small amount of cat sand in the box. And the cat was happy. And sometimes she used the box.

I didn't know anything about a $80.00 per cat charge. I am wondering how much it cost to do paperwork on their letterhead and sign things etc.

When I called the vet, it wasn't a note on their letterhead. Evidently, it was going be forms, etc. Not that I consider that worth it. I think it's too much money.

• 1 month later...

Ok. I just read and printed what what on the link provided, so thank you for that.

What is APHIS? We plan to arrive April or May, so that vaccine which will expire in August then should still be good. Since there is no exporter and importer, at least not professional ones, then that would just be our address and where are headed.

As to number 1, contacting SAGARPA-SENASICA,as we are driving, I'm thinking maybe none of that will happen at the Pharr or Laredo border crossing?

Then number 2 --the pet arriving without bedding, cloth material or accessories, as those will be destroyed and the pet will be sprayed! Oh my gosh, my poor cats. I have planned to have a pad in their kennels as it's a long drive.

I had read that people just get waived through with none of this as Ezzie stated.

You had better check again- the SAGARPA website under Mascotas specifies that innoculations be current and for them, that means within 30-365 days. In other words, not more recently than 30 days of entry (in order for the drugs to have taken effect) and not more than one year. They don't care that your rabies shot has a 3 yr window when given 2 yrs ago, they require it not be more than one year, so you will have to have all shots done again and paperwork to prove it (including the little sticky labels off the vials applied to each animals certificate). If you don't do this, expect trouble... and they can really cause trouble.

I had all my ducks in a row, all forms completed in triplicate, etc, but they still found something to make an issue with, and extort a whack of cash out of me. That was still far preferable to what they could have done, refuse entry to the animals, put them in quarantine, or worse. There are horror stories, mine was one. Two of my cats, who had been in perfect health prior to travel, died soon after arrival. It is very stressful, especially in the cargo hold, and there are numerous nightmare stories of crates literally falling apart and animals getting loose, never to be seen alive again. You can't be too careful, or prepare too much. This site can help: www.dryfur.com

You had better check again- the SAGARPA website under Mascotas specifies that innoculations be current and for them, that means within 30-365 days. In other words, not more recently than 30 days of entry (in order for the drugs to have taken effect) and not more than one year. They don't care that your rabies shot has a 3 yr window when given 2 yrs ago, they require it not be more than one year, so you will have to have all shots done again and paperwork to prove it (including the little sticky labels off the vials applied to each animals certificate). If you don't do this, expect trouble... and they can really cause trouble.

I had all my ducks in a row, all forms completed in triplicate, etc, but they still found something to make an issue with, and extort a whack of cash out of me. That was still far preferable to what they could have done, refuse entry to the animals, put them in quarantine, or worse. There are horror stories, mine was one. Two of my cats, who had been in perfect health prior to travel, died soon after arrival. It is very stressful, especially in the cargo hold, and there are numerous nightmare stories of crates literally falling apart and animals getting loose, never to be seen alive again. You can't be too careful, or prepare too much. This site can help: www.dryfur.com

How absolutely awful!

We were fortunate. We drove. No one asked for any documents although I did have health certificates for them.

Archived