Chapala.com Webboard

Car question

bmw1150rt

I have a friend that has a 1993 car down here with Canadian plates. He is a permenant resident of Mexico and just wants to dispose of the car. Any ideas as to how he could go about this?

In the US you can take a vehicle to a auto salavge yard and scrap it. I have seen ads for home pick-up for scrap auto's but in Mexico I have no idea.

Thanks

Sure you can scrap it here since you are a permanent resident and will never want to bring another vehicle in on a TIP under your name.

Just make sure first that it can never be "fixed up" and driven on the roads again by someone else. Best way is to take a sawzall and hack it into many smaller pieces and recycle the scrap metal.

If you are unable to do this, at least make sure that all of the VIN numbers and plates have been removed from it so that it can never be traced back to you. Don't trust this to someone else, make sure you witness this being done.

In Canada & US now most of the scrap yards will not take a whole vehicle for parts unless you surrender the title/ownership to them along with the vehicle.

When the car was temporarily imported, the owner signed an agreement that prohibited disposing of the vehicle in Mexico. Since it is Canadian, it cannot even be easily disposed of in the USA. It is time for a road trip to Canada and a flight back to Mexico.

The advice above is mostly tongue in cheek. Never allow a car that you imported to escape your control. It can come back to bite you. Spencer can help you get a ‘Retorno Seguro‘ to allow you 5 days to get it out of Mexico. Maybe you could scrap it in the USA; I do not know.

I don't think the advice was tongue in cheek nor was it meant to be. If I had a 1993 vehicle with Canadian or US plates and was permanente, I would take Ezzie's advice in a heartbeat and know of others who have already done so. If a vehicle ceases to exist it cannot be returned NOB and no one with Permanente should even consider trying to bring another foreign plated vehicle here and trying to nationalize it. Many have learned this the hard way. More than one way to solve a problem in Mexico.

Sell it and if someone buys it who lives in a state with UCD organization such as in Guanajuato state they can get an UCD permit, insure the vehicle and drive it within approx. 100 miles.

And, if you wish to argue re: selling, please call Aduana's lawyers in Mexico City first.

saludos

Sonia

The importing was not computer-synced back in 1993. I brought in a car several years after that, drove it for years here (had an FM3) until it was not longer drivable, a total rust bucket, removed the plates, gave it to one of my young workers for parts. Took photos of the car, the vin#s, photos of it being towed away, got a letter from my mechanic stating that it was no longer drivable nor fixable, wrote a paper stating that I was giving the car for parts to my worker, he signed it, I signed it and I took it to a notary with copies of his ID and mine and had it notarized. Flew back to Canada and brought in another vehicle, armed with the documentation on the defunct car. The old car never came up on the computer at the border.

Possibly check TIP status here:

https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob.mx/aduanas_cpitv_internet/index.aspx

Computers and systems may not have been very sophisticated in past but now I see letters as recent as this week from Aduana reminding people they have a car in Mexico and that they communicated with INM as to visa status.

Sonia

Archived