Chapala.com Webboard

In general, are digital images of signed contracts accepted?

valbogyo

I know when I was buying my house, both myself and the seller signed various offers and counter offers and these were signed, scanned in and emailed. I also have a friend that accepted an offer of employment, in Mexico City, and she signed her contract and then it was scanned in and emailed.

Why I am wondering is I was told today, from a friend who was told this by a retired American lawyer, that only the hard copies are considered a legally binding document.

I have a hard time believing that, but would want to know the experiences that others have had when doing business in Mexico.

They need to have a "Digital signature" which is legally accepted by authorities such as county register´s offices etc. and is software that any company can buy and use in the US or other countries.

http://landing.adobe.com/en/na/products/document-cloud/announce.html?promoid=KMKXE

I can report this: to make changes to my debit card a couple of weeks ago, I had to send a registered letter to my bank in Canada with my signature on it. No faxes, emails, or digital signatures allowed. And we think things are off-kilter here.

In Mexico generally no.

I worked in the microfilm industry for years and microfilm can be certified "archival and legal" because under analysis it can be determined if changes have been made. When the digital imaging domain arrived we fought it tooth and nail as being not being "archival" because once things are converted into bits or bytes, they can be altered leaving no traces. However, in one court case digital records were not accepted, so they simply went to another room in the courthouse and printed the info out on hard copy and then it was ok?

SAT has electronic signatures where the application process consists of a retinal scan, fingerprints and photo.

With that said, everyone gives the two key files and password to their accountant who then digitally signs returns and reports. All that thorough process and then you really arent signing what has your name on it.

Public documents at the state and federal level have a digital signature which is valid with codes to verify the authenticity of the document.

Courts want to see live signatures on documents to admit them into evidence

Archived