Chapala.com Webboard

UBER cab info for GDL and DF

solajijic

Our upcoming trip to DF involves staying a bit far from public transport so we want to use UBER but need some guidance and hints on how best to make it work for us.

I would also like to use it so that I could go into Guadalajara, park centrally, and use it to roam around.

We haven't used UBER in the US because we use Zipcar.com when we get to cities where we don't need constant transportation.

So any hints and helps will be appreciated.

We use Uber's service constantly in the DF. It's the best taxi service in town. The UberX (the least expensive vehicles they offer) cars are late model, well-kept, unmarked (no indication that you are in a taxi), air conditioned, and very comfortable. The drivers are required to pass a physical exam, a mental health exam, carry insurance, etc. The price is excellent; Uber recently lowered its fares across the board. The base price for any trip is approximately 40 pesos, with additional charges for longer trips.

Go to the Uber web page (http://www.uber.com) to enroll. The Uber app will show up on your smartphone. When you want to request taxi service, the Uber GPS will locate you immediately. When the Uber car nearest you is found (pretty much instantaneously) you will receive a photo of the driver, his or her name, the make and model of the car that will pick you up, the license plate number, and the driver's cell phone number. Uber will tell you how long it will be before your car arrives--normally, it is at your door in under 5 minutes. The driver calls you when he arrives.

All payment is done via your credit card, which you authorize for that purpose when you sign up for Uber. No cash is involved, making the car secure.

We are confirmed Uber fans. I'm glad to hear the service has arrived in GDL.

Since it involves drivers and cars, why is Uber cheaper? The electronic connection is obviously a cost saver but is this the main one?

Does one tip Uber drivers?

The taxi people have seen to it that there is no bus service at the airport (they did this in Manzanillo too) I can just imagine how fond of Uber they are. :)

Uber recently LOWERED its rates. In our experience, an Uber car is generally less expensive than a street or sitio taxi. Many Uber drivers use their own vehicles. Some use Uber vehicles.

Do not tip Uber drivers unless your driver provides an extraordinary service for you: takes a Costco-size load of stuff into your house, for example.

The taxi services are definitely not fond of Uber. Why? In the first place, Uber service is far better than a taxi. The cars are brand new. Security is better, since 1) no cash changes hands, and 2) you know who your driver is and he knows who you are. The driver wears a jacket and tie and offers you a bottle of water and your choice of music. If you inadvertently leave something in an Uber, you can call and the driver--if he finds it--will bring it back to you.

Wow thank so much for the info Liana. Your info is always so helpful. I am convinced. It is funny because the night before I saw the post about Uber I was complaining to the hubby about how there were so many places in Guad I'd like to explore but the driving keeps me from it.

I tried to use Uber on my android smartphone. It would show me where in the world I am, but no way to request a ride. Info???

Bunyan, had you already gone to the Uber website on your computer and signed up? That's the first step.

If you call a taxi, more often than not, it is in poor condition. Uber cars are new. I just downloaded the app to my iPhone and registered a credit card to the account. So next time in GDL, we are set.

As for cost differences in taxis and Uber cars, in NYC the cost of a taxi medallion is $100,000 and that limits availability. That cost has to be recovered.

The taxi unions have pressured the politicians and people at Movilidad to stage sting operations where they ask for service from Uber drivers and then impound their cars. This happened a few weeks ago in Guadalajara. Their argument was that the Uber drivers didnt have benefits required by law such as IMSS and there was nothing guaranteeing the security of passengers but that is a joke as Uber is at a much higher level than taxi drivers who have ratty cars, are rude, smoke, overcharge, etc. and get no benefits.

I would be interested in how such a sting operation fits with Uber's fine print when registering for the service. You can't just call up Uber and request a ride without registering for the service and providing a credit card to pay for it or PayPal.

Since it involves drivers and cars, why is Uber cheaper? The electronic connection is obviously a cost saver but is this the main one?

Does one tip Uber drivers?

The taxi people have seen to it that there is no bus service at the airport (they did this in Manzanillo too) I can just imagine how fond of Uber they are. :)

Official taxis cost more than Uber, because Uber drivers do not have to follow the rules for professionals.

Uber drivers do not have to licensed as professional drivers, just qualifying like any other driver.

Uber drivers do not have to carry the same levels of insurance as professional taxis.

There are limits on where professional taxi drivers can drive, while Uber drivers can drive wherever they want. Many Mexican cities do not allow ordinary taxi drivers to enter the airports, while as ordinary Mexican drivers the Uber guys don't pay for their commercial use of the airports, while legitimate taxis pay a special license fee to use and access airports.

Since the Uber drivers are not employees, there are no taxes withheld from what we pay them, which seems to create yet another group of Mexican earners not paying taxes.

Since Uber drivers are not employees, they represent yet more Mexicans whose real employer (Uber - taking a cut of tips and taking a cut of the taxi fee) does not pay employee benefits like IMSS.

Uber is set up to dodge pretty much all fees, avoid paying any employee benefits, avoid professional licensing, avoid providing commercial insurance protection, avoiding commercial insurance costs, and avoid taxes, which should make them super cheap.

So, Uber and their drivers use the public roadways near full-time for professional and commercial services, without paying for the privileges,

which makes Uber cheap.

Official taxis cost more than Uber, because Uber drivers do not have to follow the rules for professionals.

Uber drivers do not have to licensed as professional drivers, just qualifying like any other driver.

Uber drivers do not have to carry the same levels of insurance as professional taxis.

There are limits on where professional taxi drivers can drive, while Uber drivers can drive wherever they want. Many Mexican cities do not allow ordinary taxi drivers to enter the airports, while as ordinary Mexican drivers the Uber guys don't pay for their commercial use of the airports, while legitimate taxis pay a special license fee to use and access airports.

Since the Uber drivers are not employees, there are no taxes withheld from what we pay them, which seems to create yet another group of Mexican earners not paying taxes.

Since Uber drivers are not employees, they represent yet more Mexicans whose real employer (Uber - taking a cut of tips and taking a cut of the taxi fee) does not pay employee benefits like IMSS.

Uber is set up to dodge pretty much all fees, avoid paying any employee benefits, avoid professional licensing, avoid providing commercial insurance protection, avoiding commercial insurance costs, and avoid taxes, which should make them super cheap.

So, Uber and their drivers use the public roadways near full-time for professional and commercial services, without paying for the privileges,

which makes Uber cheap.

Your post is filled with erroneous information. For example, Uber can take you to any airport, just like any taxi or car service. Uber, like any other car service that isn't part of the airport taxi union, can't pick you up at an airport without risking a penalty. Uber requires that its drivers carry insurance. Most Uber drivers are employed by Uber and use Uber-owned vehicles. In my personal experience, the majority of Uber drivers have been professional drivers for the government, for private businesses, and for private individuals prior to switching to Uber. Uber costs less because Uber is more competitive with standard taxis.

I have no horse in this race; I simply see Uber as a top-flight alternative to the general run of taxis. What's your reason for Uber-bashing?

Most Uber drivers are employed by Uber and use Uber-owned vehicles.

In the linked article from El Informador Uber stated that it did not own any vehicles or employ any drivers.

As far as I know, Uber and others like it, are "ride sharing" services. The people that sign up with Uber are individuals and presume would pay taxes as individuals. They might even be able to depreciate their vehicles under US tax provisions. Not sure how it would work in Mexico or other countries. ML--I don't think Uber owns the vehicles, individuals own them.

As far as I know, Uber and others like it, are "ride sharing" services. The people that sign up with Uber are individuals and presume would pay taxes as individuals. They might even be able to depreciate their vehicles under US tax provisions. Not sure how it would work in Mexico or other countries. ML--I don't think Uber owns the vehicles, individuals own them.

In Mexico City, Uber owns many of the vehicles used here. Individuals own the majority.

Your post is filled with erroneous information. For example, Uber can take you to any airport, just like any taxi or car service. Uber, like any other car service that isn't part of the airport taxi union, can't pick you up at an airport without risking a penalty. Uber requires that its drivers carry insurance. Most Uber drivers are employed by Uber and use Uber-owned vehicles. In my personal experience, the majority of Uber drivers have been professional drivers for the government, for private businesses, and for private individuals prior to switching to Uber.

Uber costs less because Uber is more competitive with standard taxis.

I have no horse in this race; I simply see Uber as a top-flight alternative to the general run of taxis. What's your reason for Uber-bashing?

Please re-read the details of what I wrote.

The comment that Uber drivers have insurance, ignores that commercial taxi insurance costs more and has different coverage - an added cost and added benefit that Uber drivers don't have to pay for, similar to no IMSS being paid for the drivers.

Uber drivers, as private individuals in private basically unmarked cars, do go into airports for pick ups, while in many Mexican cities, taxi drivers cannot drive into airports for pickups, as only specially licensed taxis, who have paid extra fees, are allowed into airports.

I was not Uber bashing, I gave detailed answers to Mainecoon's question of why Uber is cheap, compared to regular taxis.

Does Uber require a professional chauffer's license for ALL drivers? Does Uber pay IMSS benefits? Does Uber collect income taxes on its workers?

If any of us could operate a business using regulatory loopholes, that allowed us to duck at least 4 significant expenses required of our competitors, we'd all appear to be more competitive.

We use Uber's service constantly in the DF. It's the best taxi service in town. The UberX (the least expensive vehicles they offer) cars are late model, well-kept, unmarked (no indication that you are in a taxi), air conditioned, and very comfortable. The drivers are required to pass a physical exam, a mental health exam, carry insurance, etc. The price is excellent; Uber recently lowered its fares across the board. The base price for any trip is approximately 40 pesos, with additional charges for longer trips.

Go to the Uber web page (http://www.uber.com) to enroll. The Uber app will show up on your smartphone. When you want to request taxi service, the Uber GPS will locate you immediately. When the Uber car nearest you is found (pretty much instantaneously) you will receive a photo of the driver, his or her name, the make and model of the car that will pick you up, the license plate number, and the driver's cell phone number. Uber will tell you how long it will be before your car arrives--normally, it is at your door in under 5 minutes. The driver calls you when he arrives.

All payment is done via your credit card, which you authorize for that purpose when you sign up for Uber. No cash is involved, making the car secure.

We are confirmed Uber fans. I'm glad to hear the service has arrived in GDL.

Will this work on an iPad?

(Answering my own question: apparently not available for iPad, as it uses GPS, which my iPad doesn't have.)

In Mexico City, Uber owns many of the vehicles used here. Individuals own the majority.

If you read the last paragragh in the article Intercasa linked you'll see that Uber clearly states that they do not own any vehicles or employ any drivers,that they only provide a technological service,are they lying to avoid paying licensing fees and taxes?

The online news magazine Sin Embargo has posted the first part of a two-part story (in Spanish) on Uber under the byline of Daniela Barragan.

It's pretty clear from the story that Uber is focusing on drivers using their own private vehicles. There's no explicit mention that Uber owns any of the cars providing its service in Mexico City. The emphasis is on the benefits of security, both for users and drivers.

Article title is: Uber ¿El Principio del Fin del Monopolio de los Taxistas? ("Uber: The Beginning of the End of the Monopoly of Taxi Drivers?")

http://www.sinembargo.mx/28-03-2015/1294507

FWIW,

-- Don

Archived