Chapala.com Webboard

My three favorite restaurants in Ajijic (currently)

Travis

Since there were about 50 new restaurants that opened in town this year, I thought this thread might be fun. Do please notice that I used the words "my favorites" and not "best". My list is based on the fact that I eat during the daytime, and I very rarely eat a big meal at night.

Chile Verde - (Hidalgo, just west of Colon)

Chopsticks - (behind El Torito on Juan Alvarez)

??? Probably Bruno's

Chile Verde is the closest thing to well-prepared, home-cooked-style Mexican food that I've ever found \ in Ajijic. There are only three tables in the place, but just order take-out or have it delivered to your house by the lovely people who run it. (The soups/caldos travel best. Delivery available between La Floresta and Rancho del Oro.)

Chopsticks is really well-prepared Asian/Vietnamese food in a spotless restaurant owned by truly gracious people, Quee and Betty. (I think I probably spelled his name wrong.)

Everybody knows Bruno's, and it's the only one that's open for dinner. But that lunch menu is great, and so is their dinner menu!

So what are your current favorites?

1.Yves' ( Very Special Place, Yves' has it all! Our "Go-To" restaurant. Enjoy a beautiful setting, genuine hospitality and consistently good food and drinks. White burro? Bonus!! )

2.Pollo Don David ( also known as Dusty Chicken- out of this world chicken al carbon take-out between Walmart and SuperLake)

3.Tabarka ( try the super-fresh scallops or grilled calamari )

• 1 month later...

You mean nobody's favorite is the new Cocinart on 16 de Septiembre #4d (in part of the old Red Piano building) with a solidly fine regular menu at very reasonable prices and specials every week with cuisine from different countries: i.e. China, France, Italy and this week; Morrocco?

Hamburgers and lamburgers on the menu.

It's my absolute favorite. No contest. Today, my husband had Nicoise salad made with real tuna from a fish, not a can, and all the rest of the trimmings. 70 pesos. I had a huge plate of spaghetti that's a cut above any other place I've tried here, on the regular menu. Outstanding sauce. 55 pesos. About a third of that plate gravitated to my spouse's.

The chef used to be at Pedro's GO.

Next on the list: Yves, especially for dinner, and Chopsticks for lunch.

On the way West past the Jocotepec sign, so not really eligible on this list, but wonderful food: Arileo. New lunch menu; a real value.

Pretty amazing that, until Gringal brought up Cocinart, not a single response here has included any "new" restaurants. (Although I'd be hard pressed to name 10 new ones, let alone 50, lol... guess it just seems that they are opening all the time.)

I'll second Cocinart, and I'll add the re-opened Richard's Restaurant in Chapala. There's also really a favorite which is Arileo Steakhouse, about a year old now. Then another would be Pien Thai, which also is not new but changed to Thai not long ago.

1. Tepetate Pien Thai (Hidalgo 31-A)

2. Gossips

3. Chopsticks

Currently loving these above 3 for their flavors, seasonings and spices, and also love the Coconut Shrimp perfectly done, with a light coconut coating at:

4. Monte Cristo

1. Ajijic Tango

2. La Taverna de Quattri Mori

3. Bruno's

I know...

4. Alex's Pasta Bar

5. Cozumel

6. El Ankla

Happy eating!

Valerie :)

You mean nobody's favorite is the new Cocinart on 16 de Septiembre #4d (in part of the old Red Piano building) with a solidly fine regular menu at very reasonable prices and specials every week with cuisine from different countries: i.e. China, France, Italy and this week; Morrocco?

Hamburgers and lamburgers on the menu.

It's my absolute favorite. No contest. Today, my husband had Nicoise salad made with real tuna from a fish, not a can, and all the rest of the trimmings. 70 pesos. I had a huge plate of spaghetti that's a cut above any other place I've tried here, on the regular menu. Outstanding sauce. 55 pesos. About a third of that plate gravitated to my spouse's.

The chef used to be at Pedro's GO.

Next on the list: Yves, especially for dinner, and Chopsticks for lunch.

On the way West past the Jocotepec sign, so not really eligible on this list, but wonderful food: Arileo. New lunch menu; a real value.

Maybe it isn't mentioned as much because it doesn't have a proper bar so the drink selection is limited.

While I think I might qualify as a happy "drinker", I seldom drink until after 7 pm which is usually after my main meals. The restaurants I mentioned were recommended for the food, not the drink. I can say, though, most have terrific cocktails and wine.

Enjoy!

Valerie :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here is our selection:

El Ancla (Great Filet Mignon Portabella/with capers bacon, Pasta, good burgers, Taramisu, Caesar Salad & Flambe Desserts made at table) We enjoy that there are no crowds, parking is a breeze, & waiters are always very attentive. A peaceful place to dine with consistent quality. A hidden gem, found west of the Tuesday Organic Market, on your left after the speed bumps. There is an anchor symbol in their name (376 106 2011)

Tango (When we don't mind being surrounded by many) The Filet Mignon for Two is excellent for a mere 230 with sides to share! Delicious!

El Sarape Very good Mexican. Love the Chimichangas.

La Nueva Pousada, very nice place to go with out of town guests, with a view of lake.

Archived