Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing personal items to Mexico

congodog

My husband is planning to come to Chapala on a tourist visa in a couple of weeks for a very short trip for the purpose of getting us a rental ahead of our move to Chapala in May. He wants to pack up the car and put some stuff in storage. He went to the Mexican consulate here to get information and was told that he can only bring personal items to Mexico under a tourist visa, not "household" items. We'd hoped he could bring a big carload of stuff so we'd have less to bring in a month or so, but doesn't sound like he can bring much now. We aren't planning on bringing any furniture with us when we move, but we do want to bring some momentos, some sheets and towels, some kitchen items (knives, small appliances, pots and pans) as we'd been told quality kitchen items and bath and bed linens aren't easy to find down in Chapala. Can anyone give us perspective on what they were able to bring down with just a tourist visa?

Thank you!

Put the stuff in suitcases and bury under others pack the car , but, not too much . Get the 6 month visa . After all he's going to be here half a year. When they ask say he's going to Chapala and smile alot.

Actually, I have the same question. We were thinking of bring some household items on our first trip. We have the same plan as OP. We will be on a tourist visa as well. Or, must we obtain a different type of visa?

No furniture, but kitchen items and some food items. I have the list of what's prohibited food wise. In case any one wants to comment on the food items, I know many food items can be purchased there, but we have reasons for what we want to bring.

If you can just say "damn" if they take something away, bring it, chances are you will have no problems. If losing it will affect your well being, leave it behind for the next "official" trip.

I drove down here with a tourist visa. I had a station wagon with rooftop carrier, both loaded. I had clothes, household items, linens, books and other personal stuff. At the border, my paper work was looked it and I was waved through, no questions asked. At various check points along the way I was just waved through. If your husband was coming down for six months he would be expected to bring the kinds of things you are considering.

What Xena said - when we were planning our move from Canada to Mexico in 2010, my husband had a similar experience driving down on a tourist visa with a carload of stuff. No problem. The border officials were not even interested in his carefully documented list of ítems and he sailed through with no paperwork needed except the temporary import sticker for the car.

We brought down a full car load on three consecutive trips and only received very light scrutiny. They wanted to check car papers and then might ask what is in a certain box but the only time we ever had them look was at the border coming in once and then just barely. They never asked us for a bribe to let things go through but I have heard of people who were. They might call it an import tax or duty...but it is likely just a simple payment to look the other way. We always crossed at Del Rio into Ciudad Acuna and always had a very quick and easy passage. We now have permanente visas but don't need to bring down anything else!

Archived