Chapala.com Webboard

Giving up Residente Temporal

milned

We have Residente Temporal visas with a #2 on the back and an expiration date of 10/2015. Soon we are returning to the states for medical reasons, but hope to return as snowbirds (staying 5-6 months). Current plan is to turn in our car sticker when we cross the border in a couple of weeks and get a tourist visa when we return. No plan to ever become Permanente.

What are the pros and cons of doing this? Any reason we should not do this? Also, if we wanted to renew in October, can this be done in the states or do we need to be back here by then? Thanks for your comments.

If you are not going to be in Mexico more than 180 days in a typical year, do not want IMSS or Seguro Popular and no plans on owning property in Mexico not much of a downside.

The "2" on the back means little now. It simply means two renewals and the last one could have been for 2 years, meaning next renewal quite possibility Permanent. Some have a "1" on the back and they may have renewed for 3 years.

You can not renew in the states as MX consulates are not a part of INM.

Sonia

I think that you must formally surrender your visa on your way out of Mexico. Otherwise, you could be subject to a fine for not renewing, and also be in violation of INM for having two INM documents upon your return with an FMM + Visa, even if the latter is overdue. Be safe and do it right. Then come back on an FMM tourist permit legally.

And, keep a copy of the paper work you turn in at the Border, just in case, and have them write a note on it that you turned in the original and date and signature. :)

Does anyone know if we can surrender our Temporal visas at the Nogales truck crossing? I understand that not all border crossings deal with this. Correct?

The two guys that used to hand out FMM's at Nogales KM21 looked as irresponsible as could be and still hold the job. If surrendering your Visa correctly is important I would not trust them. A real INM office is all I'd use

I'd like to know, I'm nearing the end of my second temporale. All the talk seems that I'm forced to go permanente. I have no requirement to do this and i see no benefits. Nationalizing the car is a huge expense for what? I can go up to Tejas and have a lot of fun for that kind of money. Then come back in and start another 4 years.

By going to Permante, you won't have to show financials or pay any more renewal fees. That is a big benefit to most people here!

Plus, you can come and go at will, work if you wish and not worry about being able to meet future qualification requirements. With a Mexican plated car, you can cross the border without paperwork or deposits & fees and will possibly be less of a target of los transitos.

But, will you actually be able to nationalize your car? Will it be exactly the right age, NAFTA manufactured and will you go through the USA export procedure, etc?

Frankly, you will be better off selling it NoB and buying another in Mexico. Then, there is no “car thing“ at the border.

I'd like to know, I'm nearing the end of my second temporale. All the talk seems that I'm forced to go permanente. I have no requirement to do this and i see no benefits. Nationalizing the car is a huge expense for what? I can go up to Tejas and have a lot of fun for that kind of money. Then come back in and start another 4 years.

You mean get another "temporal" in the states, don't you?

Upfront, there is usually the option of letting it expire and within 55 days applying as a TR vs becoming a PR. You have to prove ~$1500 / month of pension sourced income and pay a fine and usually an interview. Financials need to be translated by a certified translator. That is the process in SMA. Spencer may have some variables for Chapala INM.

saludos

Sonia

Ps contrary to what one who always likes to discredit me, I am talking about how to avoid becoming a PR after meeting the 4 year requirement without leaving Mexico as noted by the post by "UPFRONT". And the fine is approx 2300 pesos here in SMA. Plus you pay INM the 1 year TR fee, plus photos, certified translator fees and a facilitator if so inclined. The process is no different than a Temporary Resident visa expiring and not renewing as a TR before expiration date.

I have processed these so not "news to me". :-)

And every time you want/need to get a new Temporal, you'll have to re-qualify in your country of origin, at least under the current system. That requires providing the same financial and other documentation, going through the same bureaucratic drill, doing all that at the closest available Consulate, etc. Plus, who knows when the present rules/requirements are going to change again? Going Permanente at least gives some sense of being "done with it". Hopefully.

EDIT: Then again….MAYBE NOT! That's what I thought, but based on Sonia's post above this one I could be very wrong. We were posting at the same time and I hadn't seen her post.

Upfront, there is usually the option of letting it expire and within 55 days applying as a TR vs becoming a PR. You have to prove ~$1500 / month of pension sourced income and pay a fine and usually an interview. Financials need to be translated by a certified translator. That is the process in SMA. Spencer may have some variables for Chapala INM.

You can do this inside Mexico? Never leaving this country and ending up with a shiny new Temporal? Huh. News to me.

And every time you want/need to get a new Temporal, you'll have to re-qualify in your country of origin, at least under the current system. That requires providing the same financial and other documentation, going through the same bureaucratic drill, doing all that at the closest available Consulate, etc. Plus, who knows when the present rules/requirements are going to change again? Going Permanente at least gives some sense of being "done with it". Hopefully.

EDIT: Then again….MAYBE NOT! That's what I thought, but based on Sonia's post above this one I could be very wrong. We were posting at the same time and I hadn't seen her post.

Check with Spencer on your options when a Residente Temporal is expiring completing 4 years. He has described how the Chapala and Guadalajara offices have allowed foreigners to allow the 4-year-old RT to expire, and then the foreigner goes into the INM office and requests a new RT visa. The foreigner pays a small fine as the "regularizacion" fee, and then pays the normal fees to get a fresh RT with 4 more years of eligibility, all without leaving Mexico.

So far, I have not seen any reports of other INM offices doing this, just Chapala and Guadalajara. Americans and Canadians in other parts of Mexico have successfully gone to Belize to get new Residente Temporal visas after 4 years, so the Mexican Consulate in Belize has not required the foreigner to return to their home country.

Finally, Sonia is talking about changing from an expiring Residente Temporal over to a Permanente inside Mexico. This has been the normal procedure for RTs in Mexico since November, 2012.

I went with a client to Aduana in Queretaro and he did not renew his car permit and even had visa expire once. They did not care. He we legal now and that is all they wanted to know by seeing his visa. They issued a letter stating car is legal to the date his visa expires.

If a person wants to not go Permanent that is there choice. I am not here to question your reasoning. My approach is how do you do it legally with least effort not to scare or discourage.

Sonia

I won't be able to buy a new car. Want to keep my existing vehicle. And in 4 or 8 years I might goback up north. I came in on a visitor visa and have renewed temporaie twicet. Why cannot I do the same thing.

If asking what I think, the answer is you can extend car permit at Aduana. At least In Queretaro you need original and copies of your passport, title, visa and page from which windshield car permit was removed. When we go it takes 10 minutes max. If not within the time restraints deposit may be lost.

Sonia

• 4 months later...

I'm in the same frame of mind as Upfront. I gave up my temp visa when I left MX last month. I will be driving my US plated car back to MX in August. I plan to keep the 6-month visa and drive to the border every 6-months to renew. I want to keep my US plated car. And I don't mind driving it to TX every 6 months to renew. I don't want or need a new temporal or permanente visa. So, have these rules changed? I would like to know.

You can certainly still do that.

It might be beneficial for people to be aware of what the section entitled "Plazo de Permiso" says on this SAT webpage to the effect that vehicles may only be imported for a total of 180 days per 12 month period. So even though its possible for you to leave and bring yourself back in almost immediately, that may not be possible for your vehicle until another six month period has passed. Is it enforced? Who knows, but if it is that could be a problem.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/internacion_temporal/Paginas/default.aspx

As a "perpetual tourist" I have seen the 180 days per year rule many years now. I have first and second hand knowledge that it is not being enforced. They used to say the same thing about the FMM also. In the past they might ask you what you will do for them if they make an exception for you.

It might be beneficial for people to be aware of what the section entitled "Plazo de Permiso" says on this SAT webpage to the effect that vehicles may only be imported for a total of 180 days per 12 month period. So even though its possible for you to leave and bring yourself back in almost immediately, that may not be possible for your vehicle until another six month period has passed. Is it enforced? Who knows, but if it is that could be a problem.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/internacion_temporal/Paginas/default.aspx

If you understand the webpage it is a system for Mexican Nationals where they have nationalized US or Canadian vehicles to be used only in the "Free Zone" and have special "pedimento" [import document] and plates indicating they are nationalized for this zone only that are for the "Frontera" región and cannot drive the vehicle into the interior of Mexico without paying $400.00 pesos for a temporary permit to do so, no deposit, and nothing to do with foreign plated vehicles. This is common knowledge in Baja. They can enter and exit the interior and return to the "Free Zone" multiple times in 12 months as long as they do not stay over 180 days in the interior.

Up until last year the IVA tax in the Free Zone was 11% and it was 16% in the interior so SAT always wanted to check you leaving the Free Zone heading south with your stuff, even with the special duty and taxes when nationalizing vehicles there. On the Texas, New Mexico and part of the Arizona border they have a narrow Free Zone inside Mexico and that was the main reason for the 22 kilometer check points. They are closing them one by one since the 16% IVA went into effect.

As a "perpetual tourist" I have seen the 180 days per year rule many years now. I have first and second hand knowledge that it is not being enforced. They used to say the same thing about the FMM also. In the past they might ask you what you will do for them if they make an exception for you.

There never was/is a 180 day in a 12 month period INM [Mexican Immigration] rule/law. That is simply a rumor.

OK this appears to be the correct page for foreigners and under "Vigencia" it would seem to indicate that if you get a new migratory document FMM you can get a new vehicle permit. Good to know, my mistake, case closed.

http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/automoviles.aspx

"El plazo autorizado para retornar los vehículos que hubieran sido importados temporalmente por extranjeros será el de la vigencia de su condición de estancia otorgada por la autoridad migratoria."

There never was/is a 180 day in a 12 month period INM [Mexican Immigration] rule/law. That is simply a rumor.

There is a couple at lakeside who in past few mon he was turned back at Laredo and told to go to Consulate and obtain a visa after entering several times consecutively as a tourist. This he did. I have communicated with them extensively and believe they became clients of Spencer.

I doubt it hardly ever happens but know it may.

saludos

Sonia

Archived