Chapala.com Webboard

Nationalizing a 2004 Cadillac in Laredo - got a quote

holdrja

We have an old Cadillac CTS in Texas that we were thinking of taking to Laredo and nationalizing, then driving it down to leave at our home in Chapala. I've been emailing occasionally with Erick Medina to find out if & when the plug will be pulled, and we can start nationalizing cars again.

I heard from him a couple of days ago: "Well I have the cost to nationalize your Cadillac, and I honestly think its ridiculously expensive. But there giving me a price of $4870"

And he's right, I'm not going to spend that much to bring an 11 year old sedan down to Chapala, even if it is a Cadillac. Erich said that the CTS is classified as a luxury vehicle and thus they charge a high rate for it. Sigh.

But it does at least sound like there's some movement on the frontier again, for nationalizing your (older, NAFTA) car.

FYI never seen a price even near that and the border is normally less in cost than process I use. I have not priced a Cadillac in some time but a 2007 Cadillac CTS was 29500 pesos total. And more recently a 1999 Cadillac DeVille 23,600 pesos.

Did the broker state how long to nationalize? The very few private cars being nationalized at the border that I am aware of are only US registered and 2006 and 2007.

We are all hoping for a break through in nationalizing. Thousands and thousands of cars on US side at various border crossings waiting. These are nearly all owned by commercial operators.

Thanks for posting.

Enjoy the long weekend.

Sonia

Archived