Chapala.com Webboard

Please help the hungry and homeless old people of Jocotepec

The Casa de Corzon in Jocotepec is having an Open House Party on Saturday 14th, from 12-4. It is sponsored by the Royal Canadian Legion. who are providing food, drinks and music. Funds are desperately needed to renovate the Casa, which provided food and shelter for the homeless old folk of Joco. The Casa building was damaged by land subsidence last month, and now the old folk are back sleeping on the streets. Casa de Corazon also provided facilities for medical check ups, and a community room for socializing and to listen to audio books. There are about 15 "shut-ins" ( people who are unable to leave their houses because of age or illness) in Joco, and volunteers from Casa de Corazon provide food and care to these unfortunate people. They have no money or families to care for them.

We, the foreigners, who live here or spend winters are cared for by the Mexicans, who welcome us into their community and treat us with kindness and affection. They clean our houses, wash our cars, serve us in restaurants, and provide care when we are sick. The foreign community gives back in many ways, but these old folk of Joco seem to be forgotten. We give homes to animals, but these old people are forced to live on the street like animals. We help the children get an education, to give them a good start in life, but these old people are at the end of their lives, the end of their usefulness, and they are forgotten.

Please, can you help?

Casa de Corazon needs 20 people right now to pledge 200 pesos a month to help with the provision of food

Donations are needed to rebuild the Casa, so that the old people sleeping on the streets will have a home again. The Civil Engineer estimated 300,000 pesos. Many of us have spent much more than that on our houses.

Please, come to the Open House, see for yourself what is needed, and be generous in helping these old ones to have a roof over their heads again, where they can live in safety, and be provided with food, clothing and dignity at the end of their lives

If you can't come the the Open House, but want to help, please e mail Rose Ann Wagner at roseannwagner@hotmail.com. There are rides available, call Rose Ann on 387-761-0896

Casa de Corazon is a registered charity.

Directions to Casa de Corazon from Ajijic. Drive into Joco to the Plaza, not taking the turn to Guad, and with the plaza on your right, and you will have to turn to the left to follow the road, Hidalgo. Pass through the first traffic light and at the second light turn right, then one block turn left, one block right and you will be in Privada Josefa Ortiz de Domingues, you will see the Casa de Corazon at the end

Posted by Ros Freed e mail rosfreed@yahoo,com

I second the motion. Have already pledged / given my 200 pesos per month for the rest of this year, and hope to attend Saturday and see what more I can do.

Totally agree with Ros -- we all jump in to help children and animals ( and good that we do), but in fact seem to overlook those most like ouselves by way of the fact that we, like they, are much closer to the ends of our lives..... only, Gracias a Dios, are not in the same unfortunate position as these needy, elderly folk.

Also, if you have unwanted/excess clothing, furniture, household goods of any kind -- why not donate? What the Casa can't use they will sell, but in many cases they will find a use for these items.

First, this is a very needed facility. As a structural engineer, I was asked by a donor to visit the facility and to give my opinion of what need to be done. The area of Joco that this facility is in apparently has expansive soils of some types underlying the area and adjacent buildings show signs of the same issues. This facility was extensively repaired in the early 2000's. Unfortunately, they did not consider the root cause of the problems and in some cases made the situation worse.

I looked at what plans were available and spoke to a lady about the history of the facility. This is a fairly large facility with many buildings. According to the lady, the Chapel and an adjacent building are on 3 meter deep foundations. During the 2000 repairs, the contractor added some steel bracing between these buildings I assume to act as a strut to connect them. In my opinion, this is the exactly wrong approach to take. Since the soil movement is not uniform across the site, the buildings should not be tied together at all. Walkways and tiled areas should not be continuous and should have expansion joints (gaps) between each other and adjacent buildings. In addition, existing structure between buildings should be examined to see if these "struts" can be removed.

In other words, I think future damage can be minimized by allowing each building/walkway to move independently from each other.

I am all for getting this facility back in operation as quick as is possible. But I hope they do it the right way.

I have been helping with 500 pesos a month for a few years. Less than $ 50 US/month is not going to affect my lifestyle and I hate the fact that people are cold and hungry. Especially old and infirm helpless personas de la Tecera edad.

Although I am aware of the problems and issues with Casa Corazon, I am unable to go to the opening this Saturday. I do bring food to the asilo when I can, give dinero when I have extra, and have donated services.

I hope many of you attend, and if you cannot, will make a commitment to support this worthwhile cause. It is a tragedy that the government does not do enough to take care of these elderly and incapacitated Mexicans, most of whom are women, who through no fault of their own are living on the street or in conditions that would appall most of us.

I'm glad to learn a structural engineer has looked at the place and offered professional advice.

• 4 weeks later...
The Casa de Corzon in Jocotepec is having an Open House Party on Saturday 14th, from 12-4. It is sponsored by the Royal Canadian Legion. who are providing food, drinks and music. Funds are desperately needed to renovate the Casa, which provided food and shelter for the homeless old folk of Joco. The Casa building was damaged by land subsidence last month, and now the old folk are back sleeping on the streets. Casa de Corazon also provided facilities for medical check ups, and a community room for socializing and to listen to audio books. There are about 15 "shut-ins" ( people who are unable to leave their houses because of age or illness) in Joco, and volunteers from Casa de Corazon provide food and care to these unfortunate people. They have no money or families to care for them.
We, the foreigners, who live here or spend winters are cared for by the Mexicans, who welcome us into their community and treat us with kindness and affection. They clean our houses, wash our cars, serve us in restaurants, and provide care when we are sick. The foreign community gives back in many ways, but these old folk of Joco seem to be forgotten. We give homes to animals, but these old people are forced to live on the street like animals. We help the children get an education, to give them a good start in life, but these old people are at the end of their lives, the end of their usefulness, and they are forgotten.
Please, can you help?
Casa de Corazon needs 20 people right now to pledge 200 pesos a month to help with the provision of food
Donations are needed to rebuild the Casa, so that the old people sleeping on the streets will have a home again. The Civil Engineer estimated 300,000 pesos. Many of us have spent much more than that on our houses.
Please, come to the Open House, see for yourself what is needed, and be generous in helping these old ones to have a roof over their heads again, where they can live in safety, and be provided with food, clothing and dignity at the end of their lives
If you can't come the the Open House, but want to help, please e mail Rose Ann Wagner at roseannwagner@hotmail.com. There are rides available, call Rose Ann on 387-761-0896
Casa de Corazon is a registered charity.
Directions to Casa de Corazon from Ajijic. Drive into Joco to the Plaza, not taking the turn to Guad, and with the plaza on your right, and you will have to turn to the left to follow the road, Hidalgo. Pass through the first traffic light and at the second light turn right, then one block turn left, one block right and you will be in Privada Josefa Ortiz de Domingues, you will see the Casa de Corazon at the end
Posted by Ros Freed e mail rosfreed@yahoo,com

Ros, if you could open a Pay Pal account, perhaps some of us who had to com back to NOB could donate. Also, I have a few pesos I could mail to you if you would pm me or post a mailing address. It's only 300 pesos, but every little bit counts, right? I had to come back to California for health reasons, but my heart will always be in Ajijic. Thanks

Archived