Chapala.com Webboard

Water Purification Help

mtatl

Searching the forums here I have not been able to find any recent (less than a year or more) postings about companies/individuals that maintain water purification systems.

I need someone to replace a UV lamp and service the system in general. The previous owners were kind enough to date the lamp install and a year is up.

Anyone had good experience(s) with someone recently?

Thanks

When comparing water systems it is very important that you make an apples to apples comparision.

There is more to a filter than just it's size. H2Ole uses the typical 2 filter system plus a UV light. One filter being paper type and the other being carbon. Some people sell a filter with carbon sprayed on the filter element. H2Ole uses a solid carbon cartridge, it's heavy and more $ but then again we are talking about your health here.

I seem to recall some talk about different UV lights and their effectiveness but the details elude me (senior moment).

Would be a good question to ask all vendors.

You should look at a vendors training and ongoing education on water purification systems.

My vote goes to H2Ole

Yes, H2Ole. I have used others but like them best. Do remember that the filters have to be changed fairly often--about every 4 months, at least at my place, but sediment in the water varies according to where you are located and other factors. Good to put a reminder on the calendar.

H2Ole is a good outfit. Remember not all filters are the same. I like the block charcoal filters which H2Ole stocks. Jackie is always on time. Don't forget to test for minerals as a water softener stopped the white stuff all over the tile work. Your mineral content depends on what well you get your water from. Soap now works at our casa now. I suppose you could shop all over and save some money but I trust H2Ole and will continue to use them for service and advice. I had a bulb transformer go out and I called and he fixed it within hours. By the way do you know if your light is working??? Just a hint to check it out and yes if the bulb still works you need to replace it after one year. The light slowly loses output over time.

We also recommend Jackie at H2Ole, we also had Jackie install a Zeolite filter, expensive $9000± mxp but it backwashes automatically to your water quality requirements. I'm in Riberas sh-ty water here, spent lots of pesos for paper filters that lasted a week with our simapa water.

If you watch how they service your system a few times you can easily do it yourself. I change my own filters and bulb. In doing so I see how dirty the filters are and how often they need changing.

My dogs drink my "purified water" or unpurified or the salt water pool or the fountain or mud puddles.

At my previous house on the ocean the dogs drank anything until the city well got invaded by some ocean water and they wouldn't touch city water.

We give the cats, and puppies when we have them, only bottled water. Here at home my water is treated so my furry family and I drink tap water

However when I take the dogs to the lake they drink that water . My dogs also drink the water from the pool My pool has a pure water system so I am told I am swimming in drinking water I have not tried it.

One thing dogs can get from the lake is giarda. My dogs are vaccinated but it is one of the parasites that can be found in the lake, meanwhile they fight to eat the dead fish from the lake and do not seem

to get sick on it either.

We have a large sediment pleated filter and a smaller carbon filter with the UV light. Had our water tested prior to the installation of the carbon filter and the water was perfect, so I suppose it is better now. I should mention that we have a large ajijibe with the intake about 18" off the bottom. The ajijibe is about 12' x 12' by 12' deep.

H2Ole did the work.

Moving your pump or pump intake 18 to 24 inches off the bottom of your aljibe will require fewer filter changes. You save money, we make customers happy.

I have a "Water Fixer" 4-gpm "whole house" UV purification system in my motorhome, purchased in the U.S. in 1993. I service it myself, including replacing annually the UV lamp (which in recent years I've purchased at Handy Mail). It uses a 5-micron pleated paper "pre-filter," followed by a 0.5-micron carbon block filter, which I replace every six months or so as necessary. The manufacturer of the unit insists that the 0.5-micron filter is essential to clarify the water sufficiently for the UV to kill viruses, etc. The problem is that I have never found at Lakeside any place that sells a 0.5-micron carbon block filter. Consequently, I have to go to Guadalajara to purchase 0.5-micron carbon block filters at Enar, Ninos Heroes 3050, which sells its own brand Enar filters, labeled in microns, mainly for commercial installations. (I can readily buy 0.5-micron filters in the U.S., of course, but the gentleman at H2Ole said that he couldn't get a 0.5-micron filter because his supplier doesn't sell them, and he wasn't interested in purchasing them from Enar.) I've often wondered if a 1.0-micron carbon block filter available here would work just as well as the 0.5-micron one does, but as I've never been able to attribute any illness to water that has come from my unit (which goes to kitchen and bathroom faucets, water heater, refrigerator ice maker, shower, and also toilet), I haven't dared to try it.

You might try D'Aqua also on Niños Heroes just this side of Chapultepec. I bought a complete system there and saved substantial money by making the drive.

I think this web page lists a .5 micron carbon block filter. http://www.d-aqua.com.mx/catalogo/cartuchos/carbon-block/2-10

If you send them an email they'll respond confirming the quantity you want and total cost.

The reason you have 2 or more filters is that if you have particles in the water, the pathogens can be shadowed from the UV light. It is important that you be sure the filters are finer than the bugs.

I have a 10µ paper filter followed by a 5µ block carbon filter followed by a .1µ solid carbon filter. Probably overkill! About half way through the season, the water pressure goes way down. The first time I replaced the finest filter. That did nothing, so I switched the new filter to the middle one and that solved the problem. I now have 4 pressure gauges, one before the paper filter and one after each filter. That way when I run a large water consumer I can tell by the gauges which is plugged. I find that very helpful.

Archived