Chapala.com Webboard

I am thinking of putting in a pool and patio this spring and am seeking advice and recommendations for:

1. Pros and cons of Chlorine vs salt vs ecosmart,

2. Pros and cons of tile vs pebbletec vs shotcrete or other

3. Recommended contractors

4. Ease or difficulty of maintenance

5. Anything else helpful and informative

Thanks in advance for all constructive comments.

Look into the pure water pool system It can be hooked up to the regular chlorine pool system . Your water is crystal clear without the need for damaging chemicals. Matt at 331041 3456 has installed a number in this area and can give you all the info. I had it installed in my pool and cannot believe what a big difference it has made. You can google pure water pools as well.

Gustavo built my pool and patio 333157 3048. This is my 3rd house and the 3rd pool I have had built This is by far the nicest. He speaks english.

My contractor build a pool in the last month in riveras, is like 45m2, in good price, like $15000usd, is a good desing and a beutiful pool, include solars panels for pools, He's an Arquitec, He can make a desing for pool and patio, you need to check prices, because some's contractor they charce to much, He's name is Raul, and He's number is 333 459 5533, bye.

The best pool I have found in this area, by far, is the salt water treatment, solar heated pool at The Blue Door (La Puerta Violeta) in San Juan Cosala (B&B spa). You might want to talk to the owners, Peggy and Larry, as to how they maintain the pool. Directions: Go west from Ajijic past the fish restaurants on the water and turn left at the boulevard where the swim floats are. At the end, turn right along the dirt road and La Puerta Violeta is on the right just across the arroyo. Google them for a phone #. Granted, they run a B&B and thus have a full staff. It is all about daily maintenance. But to me, salt water process is best--no chlorine smell on you after you swim. I am not comfortable with chlorine. BTW, a plug for The Purple Door: they offer daily rates as well as overnight accommodations. It is a lovely spot to take your visiting family or escape for a day or overnight. Peggy is from Hong Kong and is a wonderful cook.

Sue what is the "pure water pool system"? Do you have a link to information about it?

As to Home Solution I've dealt with them many times about various pool supplies. They are nice helpful people but I wonder if they have had any experience building pools and patios.

...based in our own experience. Believe me, at least you are ready to spend Aprx. 2500 mx peso monthly in electricity...plus more than 1000 mx peso for the pool guy and maybe more on chemicals....I do not recommend to have a pool....Good Luck!

Sheldon & others,

You really don't have to have a big monthly outlay with a pool.

Options to save big $$ on electricity include high efficiency pool pumps and / or using solar electricity. Options to save on chemicals (chlorine) include salt systems, which also provide a very nice pool water environment for both skin & eyes.

While these do have upfront costs, (full disclosure, we offer all the items mentioned) the 2 to 4 year paybacks make it very worthwhile.

...based in our own experience. Believe me, at least you are ready to spend Aprx. 2500 mx peso monthly in electricity...plus more than 1000 mx peso for the pool guy and maybe more on chemicals....I do not recommend to have a pool....Good Luck!

Sheldon this is my 3rd home and pool here in Ajijic I never experienced your costs even in the first house without solar electric. The pure water system does not require chlorine just a little muriatic acid if the PH gets high so the costs of having sparkling clean water is negligible. The higher efficiency pumps make a huge savings as well. I do not have a cover so rely solely on my solar panels to heat the pool and even with the water cooling at night the pool has been warm enough for swimming since mid February. I get between 9 and 10 months of comfortable swimming In my opinion if you like to swim it is well worth the cost. Also my last home I paid 100 p a week to have the pool vacumed. This pool is bigger and I pay 600 p a month to have the pool vacuumed twice a week.

Seems to me that people who have pools and are planning on building one do not worry about the money end. They are interested in a nice pool area. Those who are concerned with the costs, do not build one. The OP never said anything about costs, he is interested in quality.

I agree with Sheldon. If you LOVE to swim and expect to use a pool several times a week, by all means get one. Otherwise when you sell, there are as many (or more) people who will not look at a house with a pool as there are who will look at the house because it has a pool. Keep that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally checked out those systems that use copper ions instead of chlorine (like Purewater and Chlorine free pools?) on swimming pool forums and it looks they may keep the water clear but not clean. Shocking how poorly they work. They go on to say

"Metal ion systems are not allowed without an EPA-approved sanitizer in any commercial/public pool in the U.S. nor in Australia or in Canada or many other countries." But for a private pool you can do whatever you want.

• 4 weeks later...

We also have the EcoSmarte pure water system for our pool and I love it. We had it changed over from a chlorine system.

One of my requirements when buying a house was it having a pool. I have a medical condition which requires me to swim on a regular basis.

We have solar panels for the electricity and 8 solar panels for the pool. Current pool temp is around 90F / 32C. We added a cover to keep it warmer longer; I cannot swim in a cool pool as my pain increases.

http://www.ecosmarte.com

When using the copper based system, here are a few things that are very important:

PH should be around 6.8; use muriatic acid to lower the PH; I buy the industrial strength one; available at HandiMail.

Use the Quimipool brand of algicide; available at HandiMail.

You must add calcium chloride on occasion. I get mine at Costco; it's called Dry Home. Add the Dry Home to a bucket of water, dissolve and add to pool. I usually do about 20% of the container at a time. At Costco, the one on the west side of Guad, you will find it on the 2nd last row, just before the pet food/cleaning supplies.

The copper plates must be cleaned about once per month, in a solution of water and muriatic acid.

The copper won't be high enough if you don't add calcium chloride.

All 3 products are relatively inexpensive, maybe about 500 pesos total. During the hotter months, you will use more. So at most, it would cost a whole 500 pesos/month but on average, I'd say about 300 pesos/month for chemicals.

PLEASE, do NOT use just any algicide. You need an BIO one which the Quimipool brand is.

The copper plates will need replacing about every 2 years.

We have the Goldline Aqua Rite salt water chlorinator going on 7 years now. Clear water and ample chlorine running the pump about 4 hrs a day. Have had to replace the control module and turbo cell so have one each as spares that you would buy NOB and bring down. Juan Pablo, Albercas Del Lago in Riberas, can do all the equipment. Don't give him a lot of money in advance however.

Archived