Chapala.com Webboard

floor lamp

lobita

I need to buy a standing (pedestal) floor lamp, and I freely confess that I am picky about styles. So I need a selection, as a place with just one or two options is unlikely to fit the bill.

1) Are there any lighting specialty stores between SJC and Chapala?

2) I'll be hitting Costco on Lopez Mateos next week. Is there anything in that area that would have a selection?

(I checked Home Depot MX online, and if their store selection is similar, it won't be a good place for floor lamps -- only 4 options, none of which will work with our decor.)

There is a lighting store next to Sunrise Cafe in San Antonio on the carratera just before the Oxxo on the way towards Chapala - sorry I can't remember the name, but they have a large selection of floor lamps and may even be willing to bring something from Guad if you can describe what you are looking for. There is another lighting store in Plaza Bugambilas in Ajijic and they also have a good selection of lights.

I got two great floor lamps at the lighting shop in Plaza Bugambilias. A little taller than usual, but with nice straight-line shades. Special may still be on: one for 30% off, or buy one get one for free.

I looked for quite awhile for floor lamps and found nothing I liked locally-very limited selection. Too rustic, too quaint, too modern. I didn't want wrought iron. I recommend going to Guadalajara.

A great place for floor lamps back home was always Home Depot. Here, not at all. But you might try Beg, Barter, Buy and Sell on Facebook. I saw one there just a couple of days ago that wasn't wrought iron. https://www.facebook.com/groups/785666514831385/?ref=br_tf

... I'm actually not at all opposed to wrought iron stands, although I would prefer something beyond just a simple black rod. However, I assume I would have to come up with my own shade if I had a lamp custom-made, and I have no idea where to go for *that*, which puts me kind of back at square one again.

I checked Barbara's Bazar, but I'm afraid that even had I found the perfect lamp (and I was 'meh' about all of them) it would have been way out of my price range. 30% off doesn't help that much when the base price is $4800!!

Today I'll try the store in SAT again; they were closed on Saturday.

... I'm actually not at all opposed to wrought iron stands, although I would prefer something beyond just a simple black rod. However, I assume I would have to come up with my own shade if I had a lamp custom-made, and I have no idea where to go for *that*, which puts me kind of back at square one again.

I checked Barbara's Bazar, but I'm afraid that even had I found the perfect lamp (and I was 'meh' about all of them) it would have been way out of my price range. 30% off doesn't help that much when the base price is $4800!!

Today I'll try the store in SAT again; they were closed on Saturday.

Ilumina + Decora will make custom shades for you.

Not only will they make shades for you, but they will show you a catalog of lighting fixtures and lamps, which they can order.

Also, if you put this into your Google search engine (Fabrica de lamparas, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico), you will get all sorts of information and maps on places to search, or to have a lamp made to your specifications.

Having finally made it to Illumina + Decora in SAT during open hours, I can confidently say that -- although I have not yet purchased anything -- something on hand there will work for me. Prices are reasonable, selection for floor lamps is small compared to tabletops or hanging, but decent, and better than anywhere else nearby. I could pick a (slightly askew, slightly unstable) locally-made wrought iron base for $360 plus an ecru lampshade of my choice for something under $200, or a factory lamp with brushed nickel finish and more quality construction for $1150.

I'm trying to keep things simple and quick; plus this is for a rental house in which we have only one more year, so I doubt I will go and try to get anything custom-designed. However, it is good to know, for future reference, that I+D has a wide variety of basic lampshade sizes available separately from the bases.

Thanks to k2tog for the pointer and explicit directions.

I just saw two listed in the chapala.com classifieds. They are also listed on insidelakeside in the Sale/Rent/Wanted/Free section with picture.

Archived