Chapala.com Webboard

Leaving Mex by car

tomgates

Others will have to help you with the location of INM at that crossing. There definitely will be one in the southbound lane, but there may also be one in the same area where cars are processed. I haven‘t crossed there in years, and there may have been changes.

Laredo has multiple bridges to cross at. Which one are you taking?? At Columbia INM, Banjerjito and Aduana are all in the white building on the west site of the southbound lanes of the Mexican Border Plaza just before you get on the bridge to USA.

IMN at Bridge II is not the easiest to find, the first time, or in the dark because the way there is somewhat convoluted.But it is large and staffed 24/7. Columbia is more direct but comes out about 20 min N of Laredo and is not open 24/7. It's also deserted for a stretch coming off the quota.

For Bridge II, come into Nuevo Laredo and follow the clearly-marked signs after the cuota for Puente Internacional II; it's a few miles, then the sign will have you turn right onto Blvd Luis Donaldo Colosio (and I think there are signs pointing to the zoo, as well as speed traps galore from hereon in due to the various soccer fields etc. Stay well within the ridiculously low posted limits...it's mordida country.) You'll end up dead-ended at the Rio Grande. You actually want to turn to the left (where the bridges are) but doing so takes you to the tolls and bridge, which you don't want yet. To get to INM you need to make a right at this dead end, make your first retorno to get onto the far lanes (there are 2) that hug the river (not the internal lanes in the same direction which block you from where you want to go) heading in that direction. (When in doubt, hug the river. You follow it and are almost under the access to the Mexico/US bridge.) On your left in about 1/2 mile or so and past various soccer fields, parks etc you can see up on the left hill where the incoming buses have to stop at INM. You make a left turn into the large parking lot (it is a one story white building), park, and go into the building. There's a money exchange directly ahead, bathrooms upstairs, and the door to the INM area is to your right. Get on line and, if there is a long line, let someone in a uniform know you are filing your FMM de salida como residente permanente. That will shorten the line for you as, at that point, everybody funnels into the available agent(s). We've sometimes had no wait, on one occasion the wait at a holiday period was over 4 hrs.

Note that no pets are allowed in the building so if this applies to you, take the docs (including your completed FMMs) for the dogcatcher in the car and when, the agent asks, tell him that the other person is in the car with the pets. I've done this every time, successfully, albeit sometimes begrudgingly.

That "hard right" in your picture cost us 300p one night, or a trip to the local police station. That is a "no right turn" we were informed. You go straight about 5 minutes and then use a retorno.

That "hard right" in your picture cost us 300p one night, or a trip to the local police station. That is a "no right turn" we were informed. You go straight about 5 minutes and then use a retorno.

I've done the 'hard right' many times with no repercusions. But since, 50 yards from the border, I don't need to contribute any more to someone's economy I'll just do the Retorno thing in the future!

Hi,

Sorry someone paid $300MX for a turn. There is no sign stating no right turn as of October 2014. If it was on a green light there clearly is no offense. I can only guess it was a traficante looking for mordida.

Always ask for a ticket. Say you are sorry and ask for the ticket. Say if you committed an offense you will pay the fine and to please give you the ticket.

If it was an illegal turn (which it clearly is not), and if you had a Mexican drivers license the fine would would have been under $100mx, 1/2 if paid in a week. If you didn't have a Mex drivers license the police would have most likely just said don't do it again, as the ticket is impossible to enforce.

• 2 weeks later...

I am Permanente, and last year (heading NB) crossed at Nogales in my Mexican plated car and did nothing, except show my passport to US customs. Was I supposed to do something else (in Mexico) to be legally leaving ?

• 5 weeks later...

Well, now the second time crossing at Laredo and no one was interested in turning INM paperwork in, going out or coming back in. We are permanente and Mex plated car.

Archived