Chapala.com Webboard

Internet Speed Tests

I received an email this morning from Windows Secrets that lists a whole buncha speed test sites. Interesting to note that one in particular always seems to give a result with higher numbers than, for example, speedtest.net. They say it's because the tool is not using Java or Flash, so there is no slowdown from software to interfere. However, Ookla (used on speedtest.net) say they already adjust for that. Here's my result from both sites, first speedof.me:

speedof.me_15-03-05.png

Next speedtest.net:

4190940306.png

So if I really wanted to brag about my service at lakeside, I'd show the speedof.me results. I cannot determine the accuracy of either result, though....

If you are interested in the article, which describes how tests work and provides links to eight diffferent ones, click here: http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/tools-for-testing-your-internet-speed/

ComputerGuy, what lakeside area are you located in again to get these impressive speeds? I think you mentioned in another thread but I can't recall right now.

The speed that one gets here seems to be a crap shoot based on a number of factors, location being one of the most important. :-/

Interesting - here is what I just got. Looks like the difference may be that Speedtest picked a server in Zapopan and the other picked a server in Dallas. But both are pretty fast!

This is the Telecable $599 plan - in Ajijic Centro one block above the highway. I also have Telmex and the Telecable services is 5x to as much as 10x faster. In the past had more trouble with Telecable dropping off but quite stable now. I keep thinking about getting rid of the Telmex service but will probably keep both "just in case".

4191488933.png

150305021821-69477.png

ComputerGuy, what lakeside area are you located in again to get these impressive speeds? I think you mentioned in another thread but I can't recall right now.

The speed that one gets here seems to be a crap shoot based on a number of factors, location being one of the most important. :-/

I'm in Riberas, a couple of blocks toward the lake from Mom's Restaurant. I have lived between here and Mirasol, and always get very good speeds (except during problematic periods, of course).

WOW, there really is a big difference between the $398 peso package and the $599 package. We have the $389 package and got the following speeds on all the tests (the last test wouldn't run)

Download (Mbps)

It seems to differ, depending upon where you live and the local infrastructure, and not on the package you buy.

We had the basic $389 package for a decade and the speed and reliability increased greatly over the years, even exceeding that of friends who paid more. We were in Chapala Centro.

Right on RV. It depends upon where you live. I use Telmex ADSL for my internet connection. Because I live very close to the Ajijic Telmex office (they say I live 1080 meters from where my telephone line connects to the internet (DSLAM card) I have always gotten good to better service (speed and reliability) than those who live further away. I have always subscribed to what was the middle package which costs $599 per month.

Shown below are typical speeds for this time of day 4191876276.png

Now that is wireless. Should I connect to the modem via cable, the speed increases by maybe another 5% to 10%.

Archived