Chapala.com Webboard

Fostering a dog

What a great thing to do. I know that both of the places you listed, plus Anita's in San Juan Cosala post needs for foster parents. We have four rescue dogs, and one was at Lucky Dog for a long time. She really could have used a foster parent to help her get over fears of home life. She has finally become comfortable with tile floors, human movement and noises, and human touch. Being shy and fearful probably made her harder to adopt. We love her and are so grateful to Lucky Dog for caring for two of our babies until we were matched up to them. The other two adopted dogs came from cages at a vet's office and at the Riberas animal shelter. So, you might try one of the vet's offices. Sometimes they have dogs in cages waiting for homes or room at one of the shelters. Life in a cage is really sad, so these babies may be a great option. The vet down from the animal shelter on Riberas often has some babies in his small cages.

Carol

I volunteer at he Ranch ... . The Ranch ((lakeside spay & neuter) policy allows 'temporary adoptions' only in the rare medical situation where a dog needs special 24-hr attention for a few days before going home to the Ranch or is clearly not happy and not adjusting to a group setting . In the latter case the expectation is that the dog will not be returning to the Ranch and the foster parent assumes the responsibility for actively searching for a permanent home for the dog as soon as possible.

All dogs deserve a forever home and that is our goal , but life at the Ranch in the meantime is a good one - our dogs have lots of space , good care and lots of love. In our experience bouncing a dog from place to place doesn't benefit either the dog or the Ranch .

Other rescues of course may have different policies

I too volunteer at The Ranch but have had conversations with representatives of the other two dog shelters. We pretty much all agree that fostering is NOT a "rent-a-dog" program but a much needed option in certain situations. I have fostered a bunch NOB and a couple of times down here for the Ranch. My goal has been to return a better behaving dog than the one I got. Of finish the medical treatment. Or both.

I have PMed you with Ranch information

Thanks to each of you. You have answered my questions. My first dog, no longer living, was from the Ranch almost ten years ago. My current dog was one of the last to be adopted from the Animal Shelter before their dogs went to the new Lucky Dog shelter. I have been toying with the idea of getting a companion for her for about a year. I am going to stop in at the wonderful Dr. Luis also my vet and talk with him about the dog he has being a good match for my unusual girl. Thanks again. I love dog people.

I did go in and see Dr. Luis this morning. The only dog he has that has not been spoken for is a beautiful, but extremely ill Weimaraner with recurring cancer in two places that he thinks he is going to have to put down as no one has come forward to offer assistance with the very expensive treatment that would be required to save its life.

Archived