Chapala.com Webboard

YEAH IT'S TRUE...FREE CALLS TO CANADA AND THE US!!!

klm

Guest bennie2

the 800 #s have another code like 880. it costs 6 pesos per minute. i called the bank seevral times. computerguy: what is the difference between INTERNATIONAL & GLOBAL? both terms mean the same. one is 1000 mins, the other is 350 mins. can you clarify?

Guest bennie2

dumber than dumb? wordplay? global & international are the exact same thing. BUT there is a big difference between 1000 mins & 350 mins. best to go there in person for the secret definations. after what happend in the US w/MCI nothing surprises me.

On Telcel dial #264 and get a bewildering, rapid fire Spanish series of choices. I think it's #2 but was dazed. This allows you to list 3 numbers you frequently call. No charge for 5 minute call to MX, US or Canada. Can't remember if that's daily, weekly or millenial. Hard to get details as so many words so fast. Will have to call back and listen better. Have your 3 numbers ready to input. However it works as a 'friend' has been calling me frequently from Cocula.

To dial US 800 = 880; 888 = 881; 877 = 882; 866 - 883.

I've been around for 6+ years and am still a 'newbie' unlike other with a year here and more than 1300 posts. Agree with moderators.

Guest bennie2

my assumption is that most people in the US/canada have cell phones, not landlines. so it would be free, but go to telmex. i have a weird feeling that maybe either canada/US would charge the other end for the incoming call because its FROM mexico. i certainly would find out & cover the bases. ive been calling a friend extensivly in US but she also has landline. some of us are old fashioned.

my assumption is that most people in the US/canada have cell phones, not landlines. so it would be free, but go to telmex. i have a weird feeling that maybe either canada/US would charge the other end for the incoming call because its FROM mexico. i certainly would find out & cover the bases. ive been calling a friend extensivly in US but she also has landline. some of us are old fashioned.

Interesting point about land lines. It isn't "most" who have dropped their land lines but things are definitely headed that way.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/hotline-on-call/americans-continue-to-drop-their-landline-phones-20131218

December 18, 2013 More than two in five American adults live in households without a landline telephone, the most recent measure of society's movement toward mobile phones—a phenomenon that continues to roil political professionals, particularly pollsters, who rely on phone interviews to determine the views of the broader population.

Thirty-eight percent of adults in the U.S. live in households that have only a wireless telephone, while 2.2 percent have no phone at all, according to new data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention during the first half of 2013 and released Wednesday. A shrinking majority of adults, 52.8 percent, have both a landline and wireless phone, while only 6.9 percent live in a household with just a landline phone and no mobile phone.

Guest bennie2

MC i have 2 friends in the US who still keep landlines. their cell is only for something special. (like calling a taxi if they are out. or somekind of important issue). the rest do not have landlines @ all.

It'll be a loooong time before everyone drops their landlines. Cost is a huge factor. Where you live and cell coverage is also pretty important. Age, too: lots of seniors like the stability and quality of a landline, because as far as I'm concerned, cell phone quality is light years behind.

Guest bennie2

newsflash: my january bill arrived today. plan is the 389 pesos. called the US (landline) for 90 minutes, called cell phones about 60 mins. NO CHARGE. counts as a local call. my national lada is unlimited & free that is also just a local charge. vonage is on "hold" again. pay them about $6-$7 usd per month taxes. i can recieve calls, & call into my voicemail. (if i make a call they charge 50cents a min, but i use telmex). i may give vonage up entirely. having a US number was a good thing but maybe for me its unnecessary. my friends can email, i call them back on the mexican line. since this is too good to be true, i may just hang on to vonage a few more weeks untill april 10th. (thats when the feb. bill comes). agree about landlines, they are the best. (especially if the phone is not electric)

It's the details I'm more interested in. EG:

By reading further along in the fine print online I found some good info: look at the bottom of page 2. (This is the footer "2" listed under the $389 package): http://downloads.telmex.com/pdf/infoRelevante_PaqueteConectes2.pdf

And as far as "unlimited" long distance, I get this from the small print, too: If the customer consistently exceeds 1,000 minutes of international long distance and / or 500 minutes
global long distance per month, the surplus minutes are charged at the current rate of base plan that the customer has contracted.

WAIT: Hold the presses. I see the rates have changed. Does the flyer at Telmex store show that the new lowest rate is now $333? http://downloads.telmex.com/pdf/infoRelevante_PaqueteConectes2.pdf 56 pesos less. That is just a weird effort to scrape back some of their income, by barring anything but your local 100 calls. If the federal government forced TelMex to provide free long distance, they have already found some kind of loophole.

I received a flyer from Telmex USA in the mail.The flyer states:

The $389 packet has something new!!

Now it includes:

1 Your basic line "rent"

2 Your basic internet package

3 100 local calls without time limit

4 200 minutes of calls to cellphone with 044 or o45

5 unlimited minutes long distance in mexico (01-plus 10 digits)

6 unlimited minutes long distance international USA or Canada (001 plus 10 digits)

7 unlimited minutes long distance world-wide except Cuba, Special services, african islands, and pacific islands.

calls to 020, 090, 800, 880, telcard are NOT free Calls to inmarsat (ships), iridium (satellite phones), are NOT free.

Special services include calls to countries where cellphone calls are charged to the caller.

Guest bennie2

for january 1-30th 2015: i had 89 minutes to the US. charge was zero (00). i had about an hour of cellphone calls. charge zero (00). my entire january bill was about 443 pesos. the small extra charges were for going over 100 local calls. im just about to terminate my vonage. i have repeated this post for those who havnt seen my other. im so happy i may even go out for sunday brunch.

What about people who call you on your Vonage?

And that, in a nutshell, is why we're keeping our Vonage. It costs nothing for our family to call us because the phone thinks it's next door to them.

BTW, the family is reporting back that cable internet calls appear to be of much better quality than telmex internet calls...I think it's because of the better upload speed.

Guest bennie2

right now the vonage is on "hold" people can call me but i cant call them, also can call into my messages. (i posted this but will repeat). this is allowed about 6 months per year for $6.60 cents per month (taxes only). i dont get many calls. im going to cancel the service soon. my friends can email me & ill call them on telmex. the vonage # is on my websight but no one uses it, they use email. soon its byebye vonage. btw, the connection is good w/telmex.

The connection with Telmex is good at YOUR end. Ask your friends what it's like at THEIR end.

Anyway, Skype beats the pants off any phone call and it's also better with cable because of the upload speed too. Can talk and see the whole family.

But sometimes, ya just gotta use the phone...even if it's to tell someone you want to Skype and to go and turn their computer on. We have one son who has Skype on his cell phone and we often catch him when he's out walking the dog...almost like being there and then we get to see first hand why we left the snow and the cold behind us.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Telmex store in Ajijic, across from Plaza Bugambillias to try to get to the truth.

The clerk told me you get 500 long distance minutes which would include Canada and the US (I didn't check for other countries). This does not include 800 numbers. He said all long-distance calls to Mexico are free.

I checked their website which says this:

1. Minutos Ilimitados de Larga Distancia Internacional a Estados Unidos de Norteamérica y Canadá con la marcación 001 + 10 dígitos,

But then it says this:

1. g) Tarifas promocionales de larga distancia automática saliente a los siguientes destinos:

1. Minuto de Larga distancia para hablar a Estados Unidos, Canadá y Sudamérica de $1.00 más impuestos en $1.19 (un peso 19/100 M.N.).

El precio del paquete es de $505.76 más impuestos. El precio publicado incluyendo impuestos es de $599.00

My Spanish isn't great but when I called customer service, she told me it's not 500 mins, it's unlimited.

I'm so confused.

A friend works on the phone 7 hours/day in Canada and would like to be a Snowbird but she NEEDS to know the truth before packing up lol

I'll repeat my previous repeats:

- $389 plan gets you unlimited long distance up to 100 calls.

Footnote adds: for the $389 plan, you get 1,000 minutes max of long distance internationally and 350 minutes globally.

And for the $599 plan, it is 600 minutes to mobile phones, some gobbledygook about conference calls, 1,000 long distance minutes and 350 international long distance minutes, and special rates for those other countries that are not included in "the World".

I get the feeling no one is properly trained at this point...

Archived