Chapala.com Webboard

97.9 FM - Mexican Golden Oldies

CHILLIN

Now that summer has finally arrived to Lakeside, it is nice to enjoy this Mexican old time radio station. Lots of boleros, ballads and romantica - all in Spanish of course, but always melodic performed by superbly talented musicians.

It is beamed from Guadalajara on the FM band, 97.9, or streamed via the internet. It is a commercial station, but the adverts are short and easy going.

here is the internet link:

http://www.notisistema.com/formulamelodica.php

This is the only station I listen to. It's not just oldies. Most are Mexican pop ballads, some very current. Many right now are by Juan Gabriel, Mexico's dearest from a new sold out album, Los Duo. It's #1 in Mexico and several South American countries, and in the US on Latin Billboard. Gabriel (stage name) has written hundreds of songs under his real name, Alberto Aguilera Valadez. I think a third of what you hear in Mexican pop has been written by him. He's finishing up a tour in the US this month.

Other singers played on the station are Marco Antonio Solis, Jose Maria Napoleon, Jose Perales , Joan Sebastian (all song writers), Vicente Fernandez and his son, Alejandro, Isabel Pantoja, Rocio Durcal (deceased), Lucero, Ana Gabriel (no relation to Juan) Thalia, Roberto Carlos, Natalia La Forcade, David Bisbal, Gilberto Santa Rosa. These singers, and some of them well known songwriters are not all Mexican. Some are from Spain, Puerto Rico, South America, Italy..

This is the only station I listen to. It's not just oldies. Most are Mexican pop ballads, some very current. Many right now are by Juan Gabriel, Mexico's dearest from a new sold out album, Los Duo. It's #1 in Mexico and several South American countries, and in the US on Latin Billboard. Gabriel (stage name) has written hundreds of songs under his real name, Alberto Aguilera Valadez. I think a third of what you hear in Mexican pop has been written by him. He's finishing up a tour in the US this month.

Other singers played on the station are Marco Antonio Solis, Jose Maria Napoleon, Jose Perales , Joan Sebastian (all song writers), Vicente Fernandez and his son, Alejandro, Isabel Pantoja, Rocio Durcal (deceased), Lucero, Ana Gabriel (no relation to Juan) Thalia, Roberto Carlos, Natalia La Forcade, David Bisbal, Gilberto Santa Rosa. These singers, and some of them well known songwriters are not all Mexican. Some are from Spain, Puerto Rico, South America, Italy..

They must play music by El Principe de la Cancion Jose Jose, right?

Him, too, when his voice was good. I don't know if he's still singing. Too much tequila did bad things to his voice.

He actually is still performing but his voice is not good. He will be in concert in Guadalajara in May at the Teatro Diana. I saw him last year in Guadalajara and although his voice is not great he put on a two hour show and the audience loved him. For Mexicans he will always be El Principe de la Cancion. By the way, I got to go back stage after the show and greet him. I have met him in the past but this was very special as my friend and I got taken to the very head of the long line waiting to meet him. Not too shabby for two gringas!

Wow. Wish I could do that with Juan Gabriel, who, many years ago, wrote Lo Pasado, Pasado for Jose Jose. The good ones all have special names: Juan Gabriel is "The Divo of Juarez." I went to Gabriel's concert in Oakland, CA last Sept because I figured the guy was on his way out after being hospitalized pneumonia earlier in the year. The rest did him good as his voice was in fine form, and he's continuing to perform non stop. At 65, dunno how long he'll last, though.

Camillo Sesto (Spanish) is another one who has stopped performing as his voice is pretty much gone. He must be in his mid to late 60s but has had so many face lifts, it's hard to tell.

The Mexicans love their musical heroes. I'm surprised more gringos down here aren't into the the music as well. If some of these cantors would come to lakeside and perform, I'd be there in a minute.

I had never heard of Juan Gabriel until 2001 when I read "Travelers' Tales Mexico". One of the many well written stories was about attending a Juan Gabriel concert, I'm thinking Tijuana, but perhaps Juarez, behind the writer were three "working class" men drinking beer. They were loudly swearing, a lot of colorful words questioning Juan Gabriel's masculinity and sexuality. When Juan Gabriel took the stage, and had the audience in his hand, as only a true professional can do, the writer turned around and saw that the "machos" were blubbering like babies!

Juan Gabriel is a true Mexican treasure. A singer and songwriter. Many of the songs Rocio Durcal (RIP) recorded were Juan Gabriel songs. One of my favorites, and I think one of the saddest songs ever written, is "Amor Eterno" which he wrote for his mother at her passing. Juan Gabriel composed the songs for and produced the last album Jose Jose recorded called "Tenampa." Tenampa is the name of one of the cantinas at Plaza Garibaldi in Mexico City. Juan Gabriel sang a duet with Jose Jose on this album.

I would still love to see Juan Gabriel in concert regardless of the fact that he is possibly past his prime.

Camilo Sesto is also a "cantautor" (singer/songwriter) who composed songs under the name Camilo Blanes. Interestingly, apparently his son is now recording under the name Camilo Blanes.

I wish the station would play more, or any, of the voices of Lila Downs, Mercedes Sosa and Lhasa de Sela. The last two died in 2009 and 2010. Lila Downs has a classically trained voice, all three can somersault through the full musical range. Lila Downs takes on a lot of indigenous causes (Her Mother was Mixtec, from Oaxaca) and Mercedes Sosa was from Argentina and at one point was banned from singing there, and exiled. Before she died she managed to record some songs with Lila Downs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_HpCjH17M

As far as I know, Juan Gabriel is gay, though he's never broadcast it. But who cares. He still has a great voice (albeit abused with so many concerts) and a charismatic stage presence (he still wiggles his bottom and teases the audience). Yes, he is a treasure all through latin america, and has a remarkable ability to write memorable songs in several genres. In the past he has performed at the October Palenque Festival in Guad. The seats are expensive, though maybe not as much as those in his USA tour. I paid $200USD for the Oakland, CA concert, about 1/3 of the way down from the stage and up a bit, and had to use binoculars.

Archived