Chapala.com Webboard

La Familia head arrested

JayBearII

From The New York Times:

MEXICO CITY — The Mexican police said on Friday that they had captured the leader of the Knights Templar drug gang, a former teacher who taunted the authorities by conducting interviews from hiding and releasing videos in which he talked about his close relationships with his state’s political bosses.

Servando Gómez, known as La Tuta (the Teacher), was one of the most-wanted drug kingpins still at large in the country. He had been thought to be hiding out in the remote western part of Michoacán, his home state. But he was captured in the state capital, Morelia, early Friday morning without a shot being fired, the police said. He was eating a hot dog at a street stand when he was apprehended, local news reports said.

Mr. Gómez, 49, who is also wanted in the United States for methamphetamine and cocaine trafficking, rose through the ranks of a gang known as La Familia, which terrorized Michoacán state with kidnapping and extortion. As its leaders were killed, the gang renamed itself the Knights Templar, and its violence prompted frustrated citizens to form vigilante groups.

Aw, come on...this is a tremendous victory for the federal government in fighting organized crime. The feds promised to destroy the Templarios. The feds promised to hunt down and either kill or arrest its leaders. The feds promised to follow the trail of public corruption in Michoacan no matter where it led. They did all those things. Why detract from their glory? Why fault them for having done something right?

Aw, come on...this is a tremendous victory for the federal government in fighting organized crime. The feds promised to destroy the Templarios. The feds promised to hunt down and either kill or arrest its leaders. The feds promised to follow the trail of public corruption in Michoacan no matter where it led. They did all those things. Why detract from their glory? Why fault them for having done something right?

They did? Sure. :D

As long as government stupidity makes drugs hugely profitable, narcos will multiply like rabbits.

This is by far a better motivation for organized crime than prohibition. Do you recall how that turned out?

:)

Alex, is that a tremendous victory like capturing "El Chapo" was? So, then tell us , what impact has their capture had on the drug trade from Mexico NOB, killings, extortions, etc. ? I'm just gonna make a stab... NONE, right? Big victory for the government, now they get to name new "drug lords" to hunt down. Does it seem to you like this government is going in circles? I think this "capturing" has lost all merit for the government. Nothing will get rid of its stench.

Alex, is that a tremendous victory like capturing "El Chapo" was? So, then tell us , what impact has their capture had on the drug trade from Mexico NOB, killings, extortions, etc. ? I'm just gonna make a stab... NONE, right? Big victory for the government, now they get to name new "drug lords" to hunt down. Does it seem to you like this government is going in circles? I think this "capturing" has lost all merit for the government. Nothing will get rid of its stench.

So I guess you're saying that the effort that went into capturing these guys was just a big waste of time. What do you suggest we do now...turn them loose?

The templarios are worse than most cartels. Some cartels are happy with the drug trade and leave the rest of businesses alone. Not the Knights templar. They have come real close to causing a civil war in the next state over. Civil defense forces have risen up out of the sheer need to prevent their sons and daughters from being raped, killed, and extorted. The avocado, lime and iron businesses in Michoacan are at the mercy of the Templarios. Any successful business was at risk of extortion. La Tuta has finally been caught this is great for Michoacan. This is also great for Jalisco - Knights Templar were starting to spill over into Jalisoc and Colima. We are very close to the problem area. Now how about releasing Dr. Mirales? How about catching the fake civil defense leader Pappa Smurf? The capture of La Tuta is a big deal, a blessing for the people of Michoacan. Good news for sure. Good riddance Tuta!

So I guess you're saying that the effort that went into capturing these guys was just a big waste of time. What do you suggest we do now...turn them loose?

This is just another government-caused problem, like the crime created by prohibition. I'm glad they caught the guy but no one should realistically think this will make much difference. They have Chapo and Sinaloa rolls on.

Government should focus on controlling the crime that affects the Mexican population directly, such as extortion and kidnapping and corruption and let the Americans fight their own self-created drug war. Maybe instead of spying on you, me and everyone else they can use the NSA to root out the druggies

Well, Alex, at least, you agreed with my opinion on "nothing changes". I'm with MC on this, in that, the Mexican people would be better served by the EPN government, if they would make a real push nationwide to make a "significant" dent in extortion, kidnapping, and corruption. But, until EPN realizes that corruption is "not" a "born in" trait of Mexicans, I doubt anything will be done. Business as "normal".

And, let the American people like you, me and MC do our own thing, with our own government, on the drug war. Stop taking that American dollar, EPN, for the "drug war" and use Mexican money to save your own people from corruption. "Man Up !"

Archived