Chapala.com Webboard

Spoke to Hector about concerns

HarryB

Guest bennie2

ajijic_hiker, 100% correct. there is only a sidewalk in floresta. the rest is dangerous. i havnt walked there since way before the coke truck place was built & walmart. after floresta there are no sidewalks @ all. (but @least its flat & there is room to get away from cars). what was originally built for walking or horses (several blocks n town) is now used for cars & trucks. as for up where you live? no way. thats the worst. theres no way anyone can walk there @ all. the huge highway for car culture.

Told Harry and he said....Excellent point! First time anyone suggested it. The Libramento isn't Ajijic, but, I'll talk to hector today and see what we can get rolling.

Hector said the libramento sidewalk was a worthy project and good idea. he said the first step would be a petition from the community showing support for the project.

For what it's worth: my wife (from Leon), says that bennie is "right on" about Leon. She remembers when they destroyed many small houses , but also some very nice mansions, to create blvds, malls, Sam's, WalMart, and other areas for new constructions. She said that this happened over the years as the population and businesses increased. Now, a sleepy pueblo is a full blown "ugly" city of approaching 1.5 million people, and still growing, and still destroying neighborhoods for new construction. Last time in Leon, we couldn't get to many places we normally go because the streets were "torn up" and new construction was being done. Old things torn down, replaced with new, all over Leon.

Where did bennie post about Leon?

• 2 weeks later...

On April 22, 1992, a series of explosions in the sewer system (caused by leaking gas pipeline) in downtown Guadalajara destroyed 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) of streets. By independent accounting 200+ people were killed, nearly 500 injured and 15,000 were left homeless. The estimated monetary damage between $300 million and $1 billion. The center of Tlaquepaque was evacuated.

I was there shortly afterward and there was a tearing down of old places to expand streets. Never witnessed 60% destruction of city. BTW, 4 Pemex people implicated but never convicted. What else is new?

In mid 80's I helped establish Sister City Program with Leon, Gto. Yes, it's changed a lot. Now more pedestrian friendly closed streets. In places some of character has changed to be replaced by more local/tourist friendly environment. A better trade off, IMHO, than unplanned mass destruction alluded to by some. On downside, street in front of a friend's house has been changed to one way the other way. Now must circle a few blocks to get there.

Archived