Chapala.com Webboard

Do you know of a municipal responsibility that you feel isn't being met?

HarryB

1. Hector and I have been told many times we can't get anything done. We've had our failures but also our successes.

2. If Hector is corrupt, please show me his new car or his new house?

3. Hector put in to the state for a light at Revolucion/ Carretera more than a year ago.

4. Perhaps you missed it. PRI has a candidate and it isn't Hector's brother. Hector works for his village and his people!

5. Remember a picture is worth a thousand words and Hector isn't giving up. He's not looking at the clock. He is working!!!

6. hector made mexican nice with both Guad pharm and Amutio and the first ignored him and the latter offered one bag of cement. I'll get him to write a letter and perhaps if you are in there spending your money you could suggest to the managers they do something before someone gets hurt?

7. A month or so ago hector sent a pothole letter/list of locations with a copy to the press. Since then a two man team has been working on potholes.

8. I'll ask hector to see if he can take down some of the signs. . You don't need no stinking permits here - all you have to do is payoff!

9. Last July during a meeting with Pres. Huerta I reminded that his party and members of his administration tore up the Ajijic plaza. He said the money had been approved (State money) AND THEY WERE JUST WAITING TO RECEIVE IT. To date no work!

10. Traffic lights are a state responsibility . Where they go or don't go is a mystery to me . See #3 above

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hector is PRI and you are suggesting he is incompetant and corrupt? PRI is the ruling party in Jalisco and federally. Have fun insulting them politically if you are not a citizen. My property tax increase was 21.4% from a whopping $954 pesos last year. Horrors!

Believe it or not, you aren't typical for Ajiic which if memory serves me right, you don't live in anyway.

Try to look at the bigger picture instead of just yourself and see if you can grasp the implications over time of taxes and water charges going up at the rate of 5-10 times the rate of inflation.

The problem is not the absolute amount, though for some of us it is getting significant after the latest double digit increase. The problem is the rate of change and how it impacts people on fixed incomes. The other problem is that as the taxes spiral upwards at these rates, we have less and less to show for it.

For certain, a defeatist attitude will accomplish nothing. If the graffiti volunteers took that attitude, every town from Ajijic to Chapala would be covered with gang banger vandalism. If those who support the local childrens' homes took that attitude, most of them would be closed or in dire straits.

There are those who do and there are those who sit on the sidelines and knock those who do. Which one are you?

Guest bennie2

harry, if the hardware store will pay for the bag of cement, why didnt hector take that $. who knows if they still will pay for it? even fixing 1/2 of that sidewalk is better than nothing. i have seen some really bad falls happen there. no "manager" gives a damn what a customer says. they get the paycheck & thats that. theres nothing wrong w/the plaza. maybe pot holes & sidewalks are more important.

Revolucion north of the carretera is loaded with potholes its entire length. They have been "repairing" it with sand which will be a joke come rainy season.

It definitely won't last until rainy season. Those band-aid fixes last about a month or so. For the number of times they've "fixed" them in 8 years, they could have used a bit of cement to keep the cobblestones in place and saved a lot of work and probably money in the long run.

Calle Revolution....please fix the few remaining pot holes..but more importantly..before there is a tragedy which could be any day and many times...A TRAFFIC LIGHT AT THAT PLACE!!!

Why is there a traffic cop some market days but not all market days?

Why is there a cop at Farmacia where there is also a LIGHT??

Questions, pleas, begging..............but nada changes.

If we all sit back and think 'this is a third world country' or 'nothing will ever change, so why bother'...where would this place be? Or the world in general for that matter. One has to be pro-active about everything is this new world of ours........not only here in Ajijic, but all of Mexico and NOB too.

Many people and organizations have come here and made marvellous changes..helped the local economy...and the Mexican citizens...we are not 'heroes' but average Joes wanting to make our new home/city of choice a bit better no, SAFER in many ways.

Not like where we came from necessarily but just improved..and pot holes, broken sidewalks and lack of traffic lights or broken ones are part of that change........what is so wrong or difficult to understand about that?

Why the negativity about fixing, improving, helping in general? Maybe that energy could be used more productively.........

Guest bennie2

they need the guard near big guad pharm even w/the light. the cars do not obey the light, neither do the motorcycles. the busses will also speed thru sometimes. (in spite of a very long light for the cars. a very short light for those who cross). i wont cross on holidays or weekends.

Yes you have a point...then...laffingly...they need a cop at EVERY intersection and traffic light in town!! The crazies are barely slowed down by even the cops presence....... I've nearly been a victim..on foot..while the cop and lights were in place!!

You take your life in your hands every drive out the door......

They need to enforce fines..haha...as in the north..we have increased insurance rates, points to lose, big finesif we screw up driving.... there is nothing to deter the actions and road rage seen here...so it continues!!

Calle Revolution....please fix the few remaining pot holes..but more importantly..before there is a tragedy which could be any day and many times...A TRAFFIC LIGHT AT THAT PLACE!!!

Why is there a traffic cop some market days but not all market days?

Why is there a cop at Farmacia where there is also a LIGHT??

Questions, pleas, begging..............but nada changes.

There is a traffic light, a traffic cop, a push-button walk signal and a painted crosswalk at that intersection because it is a school crossing. If you are having difficulties entering the carretera at Revolucion, then you should take advantage of the traffic signal and use this same intersection even if it takes you two blocks out of your way.

Road rage? I've seen very little of that here. Even if traffic is solid I rarely have to wait long before someone lets me out. And I try to do likewise.

Driving "creatively?" Yup. Why do you think we have all those topes?

I tell people that driving here is like playing a video game. Things, people and cars pop up unexpectedly. There are craters in the road to dodge. Driving at night is insane. And so on.

I guess it doesn't bother me much since I ride a moto. All the long term moto riding survivors I know including me are paranoid. We assume the other driver is going to do something crazy.

Good thing quality bodywork is cheap. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We've talked to transito about market day and they say there is always a crossing cop there. Perhaps if someone took the energy to call them when there isn't , it might put them on notice? Enforcing the noise laws also takes some effort by the public. Call the cops. Ask them to have the enforcement officer come. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Guest bennie2

as for noise: the loud speakers are huge, much louder than they were years ago. they should be ticketed. sorry if i mentioned this before, but trucks/cars w/out mufflers. a mexican business owner was going to city hall, i dont know the outcome.

There are many good suggestions here, but only one person other than Harry and Hector who seems to be willing to volunteer his time and money to fix any of these problems, and that is Ajijic Hiker! I commend you for your hard work on the benches! Thank you!

Have you ever been to a real third world country Jerry?

It seams like people don't even know the definition of a third world country. It's a Cold War political term meaning a country that is not either aligned with the US and NATO countries or Soviet Union. EVERYONE else is third world. It simply means a neutral country in the Cold War, it has nothing to do with quality of life, poverty, corruption, etc.

Folks all you did was bitch to ourselves. How many of you posted What Harry asked for in post number one??

Good question! Sometimes I wonder why Harry keeps going at this. Luckily for us he is tenacious and eventually stuff gets done.

I understand why people get discouraged. We all know that our property taxes are too low (even with the increases) to do anything substantial, that corruption sucks up a lot of what money there is, that state money is promised and then disappears, that projects are started and not finished, that things are built and not maintained, that potholes are repaired at the wrong time of year and using the wrong materials, that a very visible minority of drivers violate traffic laws seemingly at will with no penalty.

This is all a bummer, but IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Ajijic Hiker knows that grafitti will keep appearing but he paints the benches anyway, and we all benefit. It's better to paint a single bench than sit and curse the grafitti. No point blustering over what "should" happen. All the whining in the world isn't going to fix it. Face reality, then either pitch in or shut up. Or move somewhere where things are more like you want them to be.

Archived