Chapala.com Webboard

Resturant #4

purplebeads

We tried to find the owner/manger last evening but no one knew where she was. This was our first time at this restaurant and would like to offer some suggestions.

First of all, we are not angry but when some is annoying, we feel it should be let the person(s) know.

The wait staff was very friendly and helpful.

One thing that really is annoying is making reservations and being placed by the kitchen. At no time was this place even nearly filled. When we asked for a change, they were very gracious. No one wants to sit where food is being prepared and the noise and businesses. It wasn't like we were the last to be seated.

Second, the food has lovely presentation. Perhaps this was our fault but we didn't ask what the price would be for lamb. Considering the other entrees, it didn't seem necessary. But over $400 p , given lamb may not be cheap was way overboard for the amount we got. No exaggeration 3 pieces and absolutely no more than 3 tablespoons!!! of meat

We may be experts but creme brulee , we thought had a rich custard base . This was more a thick mousse. and again the portion was the smallest we have ever had.

Again, this is just advice. We are not trying to start a war on the board with the likes and not likes.

Rack of lamb is expensive here. The lamb entree at Ajijic Tango is like $350p so $400 at Four is about right. I usually get the duck or the shortribs and they are the best in town by a long shot. Same with the french onion soup and I think they are one of the few that serve it. Four has the best food in town IMO. During the transition from Kim to Yann & Gabby, two of the sous chefs left Four and one is at Adelita's and the other is at Arillio (sp?) if you want some other nice dining options without the cost of Four.

Rack of lamb is expensive here. The lamb entree at Ajijic Tango is like $350p so $400 at Four is about right. I usually get the duck or the shortribs and they are the best in town by a long shot. Same with the french onion soup and I think they are one of the few that serve it. Four has the best food in town IMO. During the transition from Kim to Yann & Gabby, two of the sous chefs left Four and one is at Adelita's and the other is at Arillio (sp?) if you want some other nice dining options without the cost of Four.

Rack of Lamb at St. Remy is 290 pesos

I like to have what I pay for and Number 4 is not the right place fo me. I pay for eat and not to see how nice look the plate.

I have been twice to give them another opportunity and I was surprised for second time too.... hehehe

Never ever again even if they change the owner, administration or whatever.....

Sorry, to disagree but 3 " lamb ribs for over $400p and 3 tsp of meat is not about right!!

Their rack of lamb entree is $350 not $400

Ok, not going to say anything else, I expressed my point initially. BUT we were definitely charged $450p. and the email to the contact on the web site was not satisfactory. I do not see that as a bargain and will not be back. So as someone said to each his own!

Good point El Saltos. I just finished prepping a rack of lamb I bought at Costco (New Zealand lamb). They are $499p/kilo with the average rack costing $375p so half a rack could be costing the restaurant about $200p if that puts things in perspective. Here is how I marinate mine: trim all the fat and membranes from it. Cut in half or 4 2-rib sections. Chop 2 cloves garlic and some fresh rosemary, black pepper, dry mustard, about 1/4 C red wine and a bit less olive oil, less still worcestershire and soy. I use Qt size ziplock and marinate overnight. I grill on a gas grill for about 13 minutes for med rare, turning every couple minutes.

Enough of trashing #4. It's a very different place that almost all other restaurants here. We've been there many times and alway found the food, service, ambiance, and entertainment to be first rate. Compared to similar places in Guadalajara, it's a bargain. YMMV

I agree. Went there last night just for an after dinner drink as my daughter and her girlfriend are visiting(we ate at Yves) #4 is different from other vllage restaurants. I believe it is in a class of its own. We wanted somewhere with a special feel to it. The atmosphere is so nice and the waiters and Jan were extremely welcoming and very attentive. The music was excellent maybe a little loud for most but we enjoyed it. I think to each his own is the correct conclusion.

Archived