Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Driver's License

Recommended Posts

If you have a permanente visa do you have to have a Mexican driver's license and can you only drive a Mexican-plated car?

If so, how can I get a Mexican driver's license without taking the driving test?


No, a Mexican-state issued driver license is not required; yes, permanentes cannot drive foreign-plated cars (at least in Jalisco).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your Mexican drivers license is a state license, so if you live in Jalisco, you will have to get a Jalisco license, which does require that you take the written and driving tests. Both are easy.

You do not need to change your license just because you are Residente Permanente, but you may only drive a Mexican plated car.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any license is accepted, state law requires a test and federal law says permanentes cannot drive foreign plated cars UNLESS importer is in the vehicle or is their spouse / parent / child or brother / sister

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...