Chapala.com Webboard

What to do if you die

ComputerGuy

• 2 weeks later...

Lacking an excellent plan, like Jaybear‘s, if you feel the grim reaper rapidly approaching, try to get to the door and open it so your pets can get out. Then lie down in the open doorway. Maybe....just maybe, someone will see you.

This is good advice. My dogs sleep and mainly live outside but they come in to watch TV in the evenings. For 20 some years if my dogs are inside and I'm the only person around I leave the front door ajar so they aren't trapped inside for days if I suddenly die.

Many folks thought that I was jesting; I was not. One might survive a heart attack by the simple expedient of getting that door open, if possible. If you live on a street with pedestrian traffic, you stand a very good chance of being seen and assisted quickly.

I have Mexican friends who have visited me every day and take me out for lunch or movies (thank God I am that lucky).

They know that I'm on cardiac medications and they know to phone my cardiologist first if the find me dead (I don't want the police to be more involved than they have to be). They know where my health insurance papers are (to be used if I

require health care) and I have prearranged the cremation and purchased the niche. I have one very good Mexican friend

who knows where all the bodies are buried (finances, etc.) and I have a Mexican Will and Power of Attorney as well as a U.S. will. My Mexican friends have been caring for my needs and they have a list of whom to contact (email addresses)when I get my ticket punched. I'm planning on staying here locally after my demise. They also have a list of phone numbers to notify my pension plan (every penny used after the moment of my death must be paid back). They know that they have to

take my SS card to the consulate in Guadalajara to get it cancelled and to get 20 free copies of my "Death of a U.S.

Citizen Outside the U.S." Death Certificate (this plus the Mexican Death Certificates are required to get Life Insurance payoffs). I had a Power of Attorney drawn up for Mexico and my cardiologist knows the health care parameters I want him

to confine his practice to. I have tried to make it easy for folks to deal with my death and I hope I have thought of

almost everything. I always forget something but my friends will just have to deal with it after I'm gone. Ahh, the pets. They already have homes if they should outlive me and they are good friends with those who will adopt them.

I have seen many times people having garage sales that are moving and their friends think that they can just come in and take whatever they want, this happens even when the people are still alive, when they die it is even worse.

Archived