Chapala.com Webboard

Mail

Floradude

I still haven't received any NOB Christmas cards. Several weeks back the Guadalajara Reporter said that the Mexican post office (in Mexico City or ?) was holding back delivery of all foreign mail.

It may never arrive, since it was probably bulk-mail from the USA, not first class mail. Could that be the problem?

We loved our 13 years of never getting junk mail (all bulk mailings) from the USA. Now that we are in Tucson, most of our mail is junk.

If you have not yet received your 1099s, etc., you should go online and search for them, as mentioned above. However, if you have kept good records, you can file without them by just adding up the appropriate figures from your own records, or those provided by your online bank in your home country.

Guest bennie2

unless its changes you CAN set up social security w/a mex adress. 3 of my relatives did that. i even went to guad office when they moved to give the new mex address. the $ was audomatic dep to US checking acct,

El Munodo...you cannot set up an account with social security with a foreign address.

Barbara I am assuming you do not use the Mexican post office for your delivery but a private box??

I was wondering if anyone had received it through the Mexican male. It is looking like no-one has.

I set mine up using my Mexico address. No problemo!

Coincidentally, I just received this email today. If you already have an online account set up it should be simple to get Soc. Sec. 1099 forms online. Seems to confirm what has been mentioned earlier.

George

Special Message From Social Security

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

ssa-logo_original.png

You are receiving this email from the Social Security Administration because you have registered for a my Social Security account, and you may be able to use a new online service that helps people who receive Social Security benefits and Medicare have the information they need to file their tax returns. If you didn’t receive or misplaced your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, you can now use your online my Social Security account to get an instant replacement for tax purposes.

You just need to go to www.socialsecurity.gov/signin and log in to your account. Once you log in, select the "Replacement Documents" tab. If you don’t remember your user name and password, we can help you. Just visit the link, select Sign In, and then select whether you forgot your user name, password, or both. After you answer questions to verify your identity, you will be all set.

Even if you don’t currently receive monthly benefits, or you receive benefits and don’t need a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, we hope you will take advantage of the many services available with your my Social Security account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

USSSA_logo.gif Questions for SSA?
Contact Us

Join the millions and discover your benefits!
Open a my Social Security account.

STAY CONNECTED: youtube_icon.gif twittericon_sm.gif facebook_logo.gif pinterestgovdel.png govbubble.png

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
Manage Preferences | Unsubscribe | Help

We received a statement from our Canadian bank 5 months after it was sent. Since November, we received NOTHING until last week.

One day, the mailman delivered 5 letters from Canada. They are obviously holding the mail somewhere and bulking it together.

One of the pieces of mail was a Christmas card from my mother but she had also put a very nice musical birthday card in the same envelope; the latter was no longer in the envelope hmmmm Maybe they thought it was a bomb lol

I got a Christmas card from the US last week that was mailed Dec. 17. And today I got a certified letter mailed Dec 22. How can the postal service or Aduana justify holding certified mail for almost 2 months!! Has anyone heard why this happened? And will it continue to happen? They obviously are not dumping all the held mail into the system but only releasing a bit at a time.

I got a Christmas card from the US last week that was mailed Dec. 17. And today I got a certified letter mailed Dec 22. How can the postal service or Aduana justify holding certified mail for almost 2 months!! Has anyone heard why this happened? And will it continue to happen? They obviously are not dumping all the held mail into the system but only releasing a bit at a time.

It is a scandal that someone should look into. But who?

My bank in Canada will have mailed my T5 forms by now. I will need them to do my income tax but who knows when they might arrive.

"Welcome to SSA’s Office of International Operations (OIO) home page. The purpose of this site is to assist Social Security customers who are outside the U.S. or planning to leave the U.S."

"OIO is responsible for administering the Social Security program outside the U.S. and for the implementation of the benefit provisions of international agreements. Since SSA has no offices outside the U.S., OIO is assisted by the Department of State's embassies and consulates throughout the world. In the Philippines, the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office (VARO) in Manila assists."

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/foreign/index.html

While on vacation in the Caribbean on my favorite isles of Saba and St. Maarten Dec. 9th, I mailed 4 letters from Saba and one from St. Maarten back to myself with their new stamps since they've changed after they broke up the Netherlands Antilles in 2010. (I collect the postal history of the Dutch Caribbean.) The one mailed from Saba to iShop via Laredo arrived two weeks later. Three of the other four were addressed to my house in Chapala and one to iShop but using their local address. None has arrived to date but I'm hopeful now. I had checked with the guys at the Chapala post office three weeks ago and they looked through two small bundles of mail they had for delivery. It was the only mail that had arrived there for weeks.

I suspect the Caribbean mail is routed through Miami. A Christmas card from my aunt in England was mailed the end of Nov. and likewise has not arrived either, so maybe it's routed through the US too.

Mattloleriver

I thought you were on to something with this info. but sadly no.

Clicking on the website and going down the list of services including getting your Income Tax info.

Unfortunately the first step in this process takes you right back to the social security web and asks you to sign up for an account

Has not changed since yesterday.....still need a US address.

Guest bennie2

my important mail never reached to US (ajijic to US). its been 40 days. (sent normal) i want to resend & maybe use "handy mail". how long does that take these days? i used "mailboxes ect" for many years, it was about 10 days or so for arrival. it was the less expensive service, they fly it to texas. the mail goes to lorado. (other option is to do registered from ajijic so they can trace it on the computer). does anyone know the telephone for handymail? do they speak english? who should i ask for?

I just received 3 of the 4 letters mailed to my house from the Caribbean Dec. 9th, they arrived Feb. 23. My Christmas card from the UK is still out there as is the last letter from St. Maarten.

Archived