Chapala.com Webboard

Will an iPhone work with the Telcel Amigo plan?

Travis

I guess it's time for me to finally break down and get a smart phone. I'll probably only use 5% of what it's capable of, but some of the functionality is just too useful to ignore any longer. The catch is, I don't really want to sign up for a monthly Telcel plan unless I have to because I'm rather contract averse, especially if Telcel insists on billing directly to a credit card.

Also, assuming it will, if anyone has an iPhone 4 they want to sell, let me know. I am certain I don't need the latest and greatest. Thanks.

I guess it's time for me to finally break down and get a smart phone. I'll probably only use 5% of what it's capable of, but some of the functionality is just too useful to ignore any longer. The catch is, I don't really want to sign up for a monthly Telcel plan unless I have to because I'm rather contract averse, especially if Telcel insists on billing directly to a credit card.

Also, assuming it will, if anyone has an iPhone 4 they want to sell, let me know. I am certain I don't need the latest and greatest. Thanks.

My wife has an iPhone and we top it up every two months with a 100 peso Amigo card. If you are an LCS member you can sign up for the iPhone/ iPad classes and find out how to use its various features.

Remember if you are buying said phone in the US that you want the one that works with AT&T or T-Mobile. They use the GSM "SIM" chip that works here in Mexico, and most of the rest of the world.

And yes, the Amigo plans works great with an iPhone. I have had 3 iPhones down here. And I am on my latest, the way too big iPhone 6 Plus. But finally with the big screen, I can actually send a text message making almost no errors. Something this thick fingered old guy couldn't do on his older and smaller screened iPhones.

Oh and with the 4G SIM chip on the iPhone 6, I have seen download speeds of over 40 megs lakeside, really. I'm lucky to get 10 down with Telmex.

Once you know how much data and/or how many calls you may make per billing period,, you can always change your plan.

I treated myself to the Iphone 6 128 gigabits gold. I use so many functions and there is a world of apps. One for people with limited Spanish is a translater which you only need to speak in most any language and it translate in writing or voice plus, it has the ability to wave it over text and it translates. I check my heart beat rate when I fell the need. If there is movement in any of my bank accounts you're are notified. For my business I use turboscan, news alerts etc. Also the siri function easy to call or send messages without typing. Mine names that tune. If there is a song playing I ask siri to tell what the name is. Just too kool! Too many apps to mention. I love the 6 it fits in my shirt pocket light bigger screen than the 5 yet easy to carry. I understand why Apple is so profitable.

That application that identifies which song is currently playing and gives you the name of the artist is absolutely mind-boggling.

Anybody have an iPhone 4 (GSM) they want to sell? I glanced at ebay yesterday, and prices vary wildly depending on whether it is GSM, amount of memory, etc. I have no idea what a decent price is.

Hi Travis, I think it is only with the Iphone 6 but I never tried it with my old 4S. After siri tells you the song it naturally asks if you want to buy it on ITunes.Simply say siri what is this song playing she says give me a moment let me listen then, she tells what song. It works with Spanish songs. Have fun I ask her if she loves me. I get different answers. Mostly I am looking for love in all the wrong places... Still KOOL! With the 6 I can also edit my photos and I am still learning. I know I have changed topics. To the posters question I use a plan but I use to just buy time at OXXO, or the scratch off cards. The phone works just the same. In my business I have to have a plan.

Hi Travis, I think it is only with the Iphone 6 but I never tried it with my old 4S. After siri tells you the song it naturally asks if you want to buy it on ITunes.Simply say siri what is this song playing she says give me a moment let me listen then, she tells what song. It works with Spanish songs. Have fun I ask her if she loves me. I get different answers. Mostly I am looking for love in all the wrong places... Still KOOL! With the 6 I can also edit my photos and I am still learning. I know I have changed topics. To the posters question I use a plan but I use to just buy time at OXXO, or the scratch off cards. The phone works just the same. In my business I have to have a plan.

The Instalyrics apps works on iPhone 4S as I just installed it on my 4S and it identified the song and found the lyrics online with no problem. You do not need iTunes, only the pre-installed “Music" app and the “Instalyrics” app from the App store.

That application that identifies which song is currently playing and gives you the name of the artist is absolutely mind-boggling.

Anybody have an iPhone 4 (GSM) they want to sell? I glanced at ebay yesterday, and prices vary wildly depending on whether it is GSM, amount of memory, etc. I have no idea what a decent price is.

Travis, Are you thinking of SHAZAM?

Thanks, Hensley. I'll go look. My problem is I have no idea what a fair price is.

Travis, Are you thinking of SHAZAM?

I don't know what the name of the application is. Was with a friend in the car and a song came on. I said, I love this song, do you know who it is? And he put his non-apple smart phone up to the speaker. In seconds it identified the name of the song and the singer. It blew my mind.

Thanks, Hensley. I'll go look. My problem is I have no idea what a fair price is.

I don't know what the name of the application is. Was with a friend in the car and a song came on. I said, I love this song, do you know who it is? And he put his non-apple smart phone up to the speaker. In seconds it identified the name of the song and the singer. It blew my mind.

As mentioned in my previous post, the app is Instalyrics

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/instalyrics/id373944064?mt=8

As mentioned in my previous post, the app is Instalyrics

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/instalyrics/id373944064?mt=8

Notice that he says that the phone is "non-apple smart phone". So an application for an Apple smart phone won't work on an Android.

Notice that he says that the phone is "non-apple smart phone". So an application for an Apple smart phone won't work on an Android.

But it is my understanding that the OP was referring to getting an iPhone - hence my reply. But I agree that Instalyrics appears not to be available on Android. Also, he may want to consider an Android phone - generally they are less expensive than iPhones.

If you use a Mac computer, it's difficult to get an android phone to sync up with it. I had a Samsung that about drove me nuts trying to get my contacts onto it from my iMac. After innumerable Googles for information, I finally managed it, but sheesh. My opinion: iPhone all the way if you're a Mac user.

Travis, I have a 4s that I use with the amigo plan--never a problem. I might be interested in selling it; I'm thinking of getting a 6.

A word to the wise: get the app called Whatsapp. It lets you text for free, it's more flexible and more instantaneous than email, and it costs nothing to acquire from the App Store. For you android users, it works great on android as well, get it from Google Play. And the best of all is you're not giving all that money for texts to Sr. Slim. You sign up for it on your computer, the app icon shows up on your phone, and you can send both national (within Mexico) and international texts to anybody with a cellular phone.

Just remember, for WhatsApp you will use either an Internet data plan on your phone, which means you are paying for Internet time... or you must be hooked up to someone's Internet WiFi. So if I'm on the road, my phone taps into the Internet, which costs more than a basic text via TelCel, I would think (can anyone clarify this pricing for us?)... or I'm at home using my WiFi connection, which then is part of what I'm already paying for Internet.

Travis another phone listed on the Facebook page tonight:

For sale!!
iPhone 4 32gig.
Come with box, charger. Telcel with no problems, no scratches. Very good conditions.. Asking $ 2,700 pesos OBO..
Thanks

¡Muchismas Gracias Hensley!

I've been so busy tarting up golf carts for the Carnaval Parade, then cleaning them afterward, I haven't had time to look at that FB page. Thank you!

(More Liana, if you're serious about selling yours, send me an e-mail or something.)

Also, as an aside and not to start a fight, a friend who uses an iPhone AND another friend who uses a NON-APPLE smart phone both use the application called SHAZAM to identify songs. It's not a lyric thing, just the name of the song and the artist, as far as I know.

¡Muchismas Gracias Hensley!

I've been so busy tarting up golf carts for the Carnaval Parade, then cleaning them afterward, I haven't had time to look at that FB page. Thank you!

(More Liana, if you're serious about selling yours, send me an e-mail or something.)

Also, as an aside and not to start a fight, a friend who uses an iPhone AND another friend who uses a NON-APPLE smart phone both use the application called SHAZAM to identify songs. It's not a lyric thing, just the name of the song and the artist, as far as I know.

Yes! Shazam is available for Android, Apple, Mac and Windows. See

http://www.shazam.com/apps

Archived