Chapala.com Webboard

Chopsticks

They are located in the downstairs section of the Bugamvilia Plaza toward the back parking lot.

Great food and very personable service...

Noodle bowl and the fresh summer rolls are two of my favorites.

M-F 11:30 to 4:30

I had the noodle bowl with chicken yesterday along with potstickers. Also a ginger ice cream. I'll go back for sure. The noodle bowl salad comes with either grilled Thai chicken or lemongrass pork or vegetarian for 75 pesos. A generous portion of chicken, too. The pot stickers were 5 for 40 pesos with either chicken, pork or vegetarian. The ice cream was 20 pesos. They also have Banh Mi for 55 pesos. I might try that next.

They're open Monday to Friday 11:30 to 4:30.

I like Chopsticks a lot also, and the new space is a HUGE improvement. I keep ordering the Noodle bowl, but need to venture out and try other things. If the Bahn Mi is that pork sandwich, I saw one walk by on a plate and it looked great. Want to try the potstickers and some of their specials. And that ice cream blows my mind. I have three "to go" orders sitting in my freezer at home just taunting me while I wait for warmer weather.

We have been enjoying Betty's food since she started at the Tuesday market quite a while ago. Then came the location upstairs at the Mall and now, the private seating downstairs location at the same Mall.

Great food, consistent quality and great service as always...and I sure don't miss climbing those stairs.

We have been enjoying Betty's food since she started at the Tuesday market quite a while ago. Then came the location upstairs at the Mall and now, the private seating downstairs location at the same Mall.

Great food, consistent quality and great service as always...and I sure don't miss climbing those stairs.

What you said. And double that on those dang stairs. I wish Super Burrito could move on down, too.

We went here today for the first time and L-O-V-E-D it. We had both the pork pot stickers and shrimp summer rolls, along with a rice plate with grilled Thai chicken--very much like teriyaki, which I've missed sorely. We also had a ginger root beer (made locally) and hot green tea. And we finished with the homemade ice cream, one coconut and one lemongrass-ginger. Everything that we had was quite excellent and the total bill before tip was 230 pesos. We shall return. Service was top flight.

I have attached their menu, which also has the days and hours they are open, and a phone number.

r7rc7d.jpg

I ate at Chopsticks again today, around 2:30 pm, which is when I normally have my "big" meal. Generally though, I'm a fairly light eater, but today I told Qwee, "I'm STARVING. I'm going to do something stupid and order more than I can possibly eat." He assured me, "You can always take some home..."

So I ordered pork pot-stickers, plus the rice plate with Thai chicken, all just for me. Loved both, including the salad that came with the entree, and had absolutely nothing left over to take home except for a few lonely grains of rice. Ooops. Betty also mentioned that she'd made some coconut ice cream, "If you might like to try something different...". Jajaja! I took some home and it's just waiting for me in the freezer. Perfect!

Congrats to Qwee and Betty on the big move and the much, much hard work that went into it. (If you are reading this, you're doing a GREAT job and the place is firing on all cylinders. Well done, THANK YOU, and see you soon!)

Love this place love the owners. Go there at least once a week.Agree with all the positive remarks so glad they are getting the praise they deserve. I am not an ice cream person but adore the lemongrass ginger that Betty makes. Haven't been to the new space downstairs yet only had take out but hubby says it is an improvement.especially no stairs

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm used to eating Vietnamese food cooked by native Vietnamese. Everything served at Chopsticks is higher-priced than NOB, and served in mini-portions and with the wrong sauces. (Peanut sauce is not traditionally served with a noodle bowl any more than Italian spaghetti is served with tarter sauce--no matter how many expats like tartar sauce!)

I used to buy banh mi sandwiches every week NOB ... They are under $3.50 all over Houston, which is cheaper than Chopsticks. The noodle bowls are also very inexpensive in Texas, around the same price as Chopsticks but Chopsticks noodle bowls are half the size! No wonder folks are eating 3- and 4-course meals at chopsticks just to get full! Normally, only the biggest appetite can finish off a noodle bowl. They are not usually served in an appetizer-size like at Chopsticks.

I'm happy to read the food is good, but certainly it should be to compensate for the small, over-priced portions.

Zanannarosa, most all of us are from NOB, and admittedly, ethnic food here is different than it was there. Yes, in my native Seattle I could get a banh mi for a little over a buck at a hole in the wall near work, but this isn't Seattle. Tacos from the silver taco truck there were more expensive than tacos here. Imagine. I very much appreciate the effort at producing quality Vietnamese food. I don't care if it's a little more expensive, when I want it, I want it One of the things I appreciate about Chopsticks is they have a small menu and concentrate on making the limited number of dishes the best they possibly can. I always get the noodle bowl, and I've never walked away hungry. So the sauce is different. When I go back to Seattle to visit Vietnamese food is always high on my list of must haves, but for here, I'll happily settle for Chopsticks.

And keep in mind that ingredients here can be much more costly, since they are not widely sought. Asian noodles are way more expensive, and there is almost nowhere to buy in bulk. And certainly not the market saturation of ethnic restaurants. Finally, 55 pesos is about $3.70 U.S. at the moment. I'm the last guy to defend high prices at eateries, but in this case...

I guess it's a mystery, then, how competing restaurants in the area manage to source their own hard-to-find ingredients yet still charge less than comparable restaurants NOB for the same dishes. Rice noodles may be relatively expensive, but other ingredients are dirt cheap. Anyway, true Vietnamese food is practically vegetarian so why does Chopstick affix sirloin prices to their rice noodles? I think their food is okay, but way overpriced considering the ingredients. This is the only restaurant I've found that prices their food higher than NOB. I will be excited to see them gain some competition! I think that's just what they need.

I guess it's a mystery, then, how competing restaurants in the area manage to source their own hard-to-find ingredients yet still charge less than comparable restaurants NOB for the same dishes. Rice noodles may be relatively expensive, but other ingredients are dirt cheap. Anyway, true Vietnamese food is practically vegetarian so why does Chopstick affix sirloin prices to their rice noodles? I think their food is okay, but way overpriced considering the ingredients. This is the only restaurant I've found that prices their food higher than NOB. I will be excited to see them gain some competition! I think that's just what they need.

you seem to be negative when most everyone is positive. We are in Ajijic Hello not NOB enjoy what we have here. For some reason your post really bothers me it seems so mean....

I guess it's a mystery, then, how competing restaurants in the area manage to source their own hard-to-find ingredients yet still charge less than comparable restaurants NOB for the same dishes. Rice noodles may be relatively expensive, but other ingredients are dirt cheap. Anyway, true Vietnamese food is practically vegetarian so why does Chopstick affix sirloin prices to their rice noodles?

Since a package of rice noodles costs, at minimum, 32 pesos for a small bag (enough to make one good bowlful), and since it is not available in bulk, I don't see your point. Other brands cost 39, 45 and more. So let's say they use the cheapest at 32p. Then add the other ingredients, and the work, and the overhead. I think 75p may sound like a lot, but with a 43p margin to cover everything, it's really not. And did you catch my note that a Banh Mi costs about the same as the cheapest one you mentioned from up north?

We are lucky to have a place like this in the middle of Mexico, that is consistent in its quality. Is five bucks expensive for a rice bowl? Sure, if we had 10 more places like it, the prices might be lower.

I might add that the vast majority of local restaurants do not buy anything in bulk. They buy locally, or at CostCo off the shelf, like the rest of us and if they can fruits and veg in Guadalajara.

Grumble, grumble...now I have to wait...but it will be worth waiting for.

BTW, there is no competing restaurant serving good Vietnamese food...they are all pitiful by comparison and very inconsistent. I realize that's only mho but, according to this thread, there are other like minded individuals.

Don't like it? Don't eat there. It's just that simple.

Chopsticks does not seem to be hurting from the absence of people who do not like their food and/or think is too "expensive." Those of us who appreciate what they are accomplishing more than make up for the few who don't.

• 1 month later...

Archived