Chapala.com Webboard

Excellent auto repair

judybrick

After having our car at Dalton Toyota for over 3 hours and accomplishing nothing, we picked up our Toyota Rav4 SUV and took it to Escalera. The problem was with our tire pressure warning light which would not go off and one of the tires needed a new sensor. Escalera spent several days trying to find the correct sensor but they were successful and now all is well. Heaven only jbiws what Dalton was doing with our car but when they told us after 3 hours it had not even been in the diagnostic section yet, we gave up. This is the 3rd or 4th time we have had such bad luck with Dalton and we will never go there again! But we would highly recommend Escalera - they did the job and did it for a reasonable price! Kudus to them!

• Like 1

They used to do a great job for us too..... but then apparently we seemed to become targets, and learned after the fact that some repairs had been done improperly, and others overcharged.

At present pretty happy with guy just below traffic light and plant nursery on San Jose in San Antonio, on east side of street.

WIll it last?..... quien sabe :unsure:

I have also had great work done the first time I went to Escalera. Then it was a series of nightmares. I know many, many others with horrible experiences with these shops. All the same story, great reasonable work the first time or two after that it turned bad. One story, which was confirmed by another mechanic, absolutely blew my mind. After 4 years in Mexico, I would say the only long term reliable and honest repair work for me has been Pablo's shop in W. Ajijic.

I also have heard wonderful things about Salvador in Joco, but I can't seem to find his shop to try him out.

• Like 1

The easiest way to find Salvadore's in Joco is to take the new by-pass, then take the exit to Joco (south). Slow down, keep right and you will see the huge gate on the right. He is vy far the best mexhanic I jave used here. Alan Ribas in Riberas is alao very good and reliable.

• Like 2

I have also had great work done the first time I went to Escalera. Then it was a series of nightmares. I know many, many others with horrible experiences with these shops. All the same story, great reasonable work the first time or two after that it turned bad. One story, which was confirmed by another mechanic, absolutely blew my mind. After 4 years in Mexico, I would say the only long term reliable and honest repair work for me has been Pablo's shop in W. Ajijic.

I also have heard wonderful things about Salvador in Joco, but I can't seem to find his shop to try him out.

I no longer go to Escalera but am told by a friend that does go there that it is no longer owned by Escalera. He is just keeping the name because lots of people still go there.

The easiest way to find Salvadore's in Joco is to take the new by-pass, then take the exit to Joco (south). Slow down, keep right and you will see the huge gate on the right. He is vy far the best mexhanic I jave used here. Alan Ribas in Riberas is alao very good and reliable.

Here is Salvador's contact info: Cell: 331-752-0091

Shop: 387-763-2322

Email: perez251328@aol.com

He worked for GM for 27 years and is a certified mechanic and I believe his wife is certififed also. You should see all the "Snap on" tools he has...speaks very good English.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Pablo certainly does. BTW, I've always been satisfied with Dalton. Escalera not to much. They wanted to tear my engine apart due to a strange noise. I said no and went to Pablo. He found a loose spark plug, tightened it, noise gone, No Charge! Never went to Escalera again. Pablo many times, always satisfied. Dalton only because my Rav is still in warranty. After it expires it will go to Pablo.

Does anybody know whether or not Felipe or Pablo have experience working on newer models?

I guess it depends on what work is being requested. I've been very happy with work/pricing with Felipe but it has all been on suspension work (which hasn't changed much over the years). Moreover, I would not hesitate to take a 'bigger' problem to him and discuss his 'ability' to work on that problem. He's not pushy and I found him very easy to work with. Very accommodating. YMMV

I also received good service at the shop south of the traffic light on the east side of San Jose in San Antonio (a convenient location for me, as I live in San Antonio)--until my car broke down on the way to the airport and had to be towed there. When I subsequently inquired about the status of my car, I found that its repair had been farmed out to a shop in Chapala unknown to me. When I finally got my car back and paid the very significant charge, it did not run properly. So I took it to Escalera, after which it did run properly, so the next time it needed service, I took it back to Escalera, where, as far as I know, the service was again good.

The lesson from these posts seems to be that although one may receive good service at a shop, there is no guarantee that the service received there will always be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I also go to Salvador; I think he is the best and I trust him. His wife is also a certified mechanic.

I also use Escalera

Certified mechanics

The person who posted Escalera was sold is wrong. Same ownership

For difficult repairs they are the BEST

I heartily disagree. I'd had good service from them for a couple of years. Then when my engine started making a strange noise they wanted to tear the engine down and wanted a $2,000 Pesos deposit. I went to Pablo's Garage where they found a loose spark plug and charged me nothing. Escalera was off my list forever.

The previous post supports what has been the story on Escalers for years ..I assume that some of their work is legit but there are too many of their shady diagnostics with the vehicle owner taking their vehicle somewhere else to find that the fix was a minor issue and not the major work or

rebuilt that Escaleria said was needed. Proceed with caution..

• Like 1