Chapala.com Webboard

Major Victory Against Monsanto

Sonia

http://earthweareone.com/monsanto-loses-gmo-permit-in-mexico-judge-sides-with-the-bees/

Excerpt: Roundup herbicide was recently found to be 125 times more toxic than regulators claim.

This is an article from last year and hopefully still in effect.

Sonia

The Monsanto method will ultimately lead to the destruction of all nutritional food. Logic tells me the bees consume the chemicals. In China, these is any area where there are no more bees and the people have to HAND POLLINATE.

GMO- God Move Over. I think God knew what he was doing for us and what we need to be eating. To think, that man knows better, to me, is beyond arrogant.

I'm no farmer, but I think there are many more ways to grow food successfully than ever before, without the use of man made pesticides and modifying the genetics. GMO food creates illnesses.

Good food is medicine.

Fact: moving Monsanto into an area where people are starving--because there is no food--will not stop people from starving.

Fact: Families who are now in debt to Monsanto--for life, as a result of Monsanto's system--will starve to death a lot more quickly. Particularly if the head of the household kills himself because of the debt.

Fact: Monsanto lies about the toxicity of its chemicals: toxins that kill bees and other pollinating insects, which leads to ruined crops, which leads to starvation.

Fact: Monsanto lies more often about its business than big tobacco ever did.

Fact: if Monsanto gave up their deviant ways, and switched from profit to actual assistance, bills wouldn't have to be passed to stop them.

CG: you are entitled to your own opinions, not facts. There is not one piece of evidence that GMO foods harm people. What are hybrid tomatoes all about? What GMO grains are about is increasing yields to farmers, using less water and less chemicals to grow more grain.

Here are some facts. Mexico has to import 9 million tonnes (2,200 lbs.) of corn per year to keep up with demand. Almost all of it is GMO corn from the U.S.A.. Mexico produces 3% of the world's corn. The U.S.A., Brazil and Argentina are the big three - all using GMO corn. GMO grown corn has less processing costs, less water costs, less fertilizer cost, less herbicide cost. No wonder some enterprising Mexican farmers wanted to get aboard - they were denied. They were denied through the efforts of judges, politicos, and activists who have probably never grown anything more than a petunia. They see themselves protecting the romantic image of the campesinos, merrily scratching out their milpas - when in fact this is soul destroying, back breaking work.

As far as bees and Monsanto slave farms, this has been so absolutely and thoroughly debunked, I'm really surprised anyone even brings it up. It is sort of like starting a conversation that you believe in unicorns.

So far, most of these genetic modifications have been to create food crops that are resistant to herbicides and pesticides. This means that farmers can spray more and more toxic chemicals directly on their fields without destroying the food crops. I guess this cuts down on labor expenses for the farmer and increases crop yields to some extent. However, we the consumers wind up with fruits and vegetables coated with more and more chemicals as a result. According to some of the latest research, the poor bees may be dying off due to the combined effects of this toxic overload of chemical soup.

I think I can safely put GMO foods on my list of topics NOT to be brought up with friends or guests, Added to politics, religion, global warming, climate change, Mexican/American War, and US immigration policy. It seems at least 99% of everyone has made up their minds about these subjects and it only causes friction.

On a positive note, I was recently able to delete one subject: PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). My wife saw a great comment on the internet and for me it was game, set and match!

"If God didn't want Us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?"

I guess B.S. means "before science". Luckily there are some, actually a majority, of scientists who are able to look at things with an enquiring mind, employing scientific reasoning to their conclusions. Here is the story of one from Hawaii.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/us/on-hawaii-a-lonely-quest-for-facts-about-gmos.html

There's really no point in continuing to rant about GMO products, as opposed to the actual topic. We've seen through all the smokescreens from this type of argument long ago. There are many instances where modification helps, just as there are many where it does not. The point here isn't the use: it's the application. Good grief.

I guess B.S. means "before science". Luckily there are some, actually a majority, of scientists who are able to look at things with an enquiring mind, employing scientific reasoning to their conclusions. Here is the story of one from Hawaii.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/us/on-hawaii-a-lonely-quest-for-facts-about-gmos.html

This was actually a good article. It's not about a scientist though, it's about a politician in Hawaii looking for answers.

I read your link. I hope you read mine.

I want sustainable agriculture and food with nutrition for my grandchildren and yours.

Monsanto is ONE problem...Syngenta is another. Follow the money.

The problem is their PESTICIDES...that's why there's no milkweed for the Monarchs and fewer bees.

I want a choice and I want food labelled so I can choose. Your choice is yours to make...do not impose it on me please.

CG: you are entitled to your own opinions, not facts. There is not one piece of evidence that GMO foods harm people. What are hybrid tomatoes all about? What GMO grains are about is increasing yields to farmers, using less water and less chemicals to grow more grain.

There is evidence, but I won't spend my time sourcing it to prove my point here. You can check on this yourself if you want the facts. These things shouldn't be a matter of opinion, but fact.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure a scientist in product development at a biotech company would not agree with some of the below findings, maybe none of them. However believing the dependent scientist who is being paid by the biotech company to develop genetically modified products for corporations like Monsanto over independent scientific studies could be bad for your health.

And BTW, Mr. Gates, hybridizing (such as tomatoes) and genetically modifying an organism ( such as GMO corn) are two different things. Look. It. Up.

Study reveals GMO corn to be highly toxic (2013)

http://rt.com/usa/toxic-study-gmo-corn-900/

excerpt:

According to the analysis, GMO corn tested by Profit Pro contains a number of elements absent from traditional cord, including chlorides, formaldehyde and glyphosate. While those elements don’t appear naturally in corn, they were present in GMO samples to the tune of 60 ppm, 200pm and 13 ppm, respectively. Honecutt says that the United States Environmental Protection Agency (FDA) mandates that the level of glyphosate in American drinking water not exceed 0.7 ppm and adds that organ damage in some animals has been linked to glyphosate exposure exceeding 0.1 ppm. ...These studies come on the heels of a recent decision on Capitol Hill to approve an annual agriculture appropriations bill, even though a provision within the act contained a rider that frees GMO corporations such as the multi-billion-dollar Monsanto Company from liability. The so-called “Monsanto Protection Act,” written by a lawmaker that has lobbied for the agra-giant, says biotech companies won’t need federal approval to test and plant GMO-crops, even if health risks are unknown.

10 reasons to avoid GMOS

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/10-Reasons-to-Avoid-GMOs

excerpt:

1. GMOs are unhealthy.

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) urges doctors to prescribe non-GMO diets for all patients. They cite animal studies showing organ damage, gastrointestinal and immune system disorders, accelerated aging, and infertility. Human studies show how genetically modified (GM) food can leave material behind inside us, possibly causing long-term problems. Genes inserted into GM soy, for example, can transfer into the DNA of bacteria living inside us, and that the toxic insecticide produced by GM corn was found in the blood of pregnant women and their unborn fetuses.

Numerous health problems increased after GMOs were introduced in 1996. The percentage of Americans with three or more chronic illnesses jumped from 7% to 13% in just 9 years; food allergies skyrocketed, and disorders such as autism, reproductive disorders, digestive problems, and others are on the rise. Although there is not sufficient research to confirm that GMOs are a contributing factor, doctors groups such as the AAEM tell us not to wait before we start protecting ourselves, and especially our children who are most at risk.

The American Public Health Association and American Nurses Association are among many medical groups that condemn the use of GM bovine growth hormone, because the milk from treated cows has more of the hormone IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1)―which is linked to cancer.

3. GMOs increase herbicide use.
Most GM crops are engineered to be "herbicide tolerant"―they deadly weed killer. Monsanto, for example, sells Roundup Ready crops, designed to survive applications of their Roundup herbicide.

Between 1996 and 2008, US farmers sprayed an extra 383 million pounds of herbicide on GMOs. Overuse of Roundup results in "superweeds," resistant to the herbicide. This is causing farmers to use even more toxic herbicides every year. Not only does this create environmental harm, GM foods contain higher residues of toxic herbicides. Roundup, for example, is linked with sterility, hormone disruption, birth defects, and cancer.

• 3 weeks later...

Another great victory for U.S. corn farmers, who can continue export millions of tonnes of GMO modified corn to Mexico without worrying about competition from Mexican corn farmers. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it is the U.S. farmers secretly bankrolling the anti GMO campaign here.

By the way, is was an aqueous form of Roundup which successfully cleared the lirio/water hyacinth from Lake Chapala. The same water that is pumped to Guadalajara for general use and drinking.

Isn't that the real problem with corn, that imported corn is so cheap that they can't afford to grow it here now?

In other words, isn't the problem more about economics than it is about the technology of corn?

http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/a-flood-of-u-s-corn-rips-at-mexico/

One of the ballyhooed successes of the North American Free Trade Agreement has been the opening of Mexico to American farmers, who are now selling millions of bushels of corn south of the border. But why would Mexico, whose people still subsist on maize (mostly in tortillas), whose farmers still grow more maize than any other crop, ever buy corn from an American farmer? Because he can produce it much more cheaply than any Mexican farmer can. Actually that’s not quite right—it’s because he can sell it much more cheaply.

This is a little old but from other reading appears to still be quite current and germane to this situation.

A large corporate farmer can grow corn more for less money than a small family farmer. Having large farm machinery running with GPS and not having to pay a driver is one of many factors. And exports don't exist in a vacuum, rather there has to be an importer on the other side of the transaction.

Archived