Chapala.com Webboard

Places to Stay along the Way

Zeb

The new "north-west bypass" around San Luis Potosi is not yet completed. You can see it under construction through the mountains north of Hwy. 80 as you approach SLP from the west. Currently you have to go either through the city on Hwy. 80 over to Hwy. 57 or take the toll road around the south west side from the end of the 80D toll road (at Villa de Ariaga) over to Hwy. 57 just south of SLP. That road is pretty crappy and expensive so I personally prefer to go through the city on the elevated motorway.

• 1 year later...
On ‎2015‎-‎02‎-‎07 at 1:18 PM, RVGRINGO said:

For convenience, we usually used Motel 8, one exit west of FM1915, which is the road south to Nuevo Progresso, a good daylight border crossing with a wonderful breakfast stop at René‘s restaurant and bakery. From there, we drop down to Rt 2 and head toward Reynosa, but before getting there, we take 97 south, then 101 to Ciudad Victoria. In Centro we stay in the old Hotel Cierra Gorda, which has a restaurant and guarded secure parking at the rear entrance. It is close to good walking, other restaurants, etc., and it is an easy drive to Lake Chapala the next day.

thank you good information

A small correction:  The route number is FM 1015, not 1915 as was a typo in my original post.  The area is famous for those “1015 Onions“, which are grown there, and are of the sweet, Vidalia type.

For convenience, we usually used Motel 8, one exit west of FM1915, which is the road south to Nuevo Progresso, a good daylight border crossing with a wonderful breakfast stop at René‘s restaurant and bakery. From there, we drop down to Rt 2 and head toward Reynosa, but before getting there, we take 97 south, then 101 to Ciudad Victoria. In Centro we stay in the old Hotel Cierra Gorda, which has a restaurant and guarded secure parking at the rear entrance. It is close to good walking, other restaurants, etc., and it is an easy drive to Lake Chapala the next day.

Seems that you are very knowledgeable about many things conserving mexico and driving .I read somewhere that getting a T I P for the car you would need at least 3 copies of several things.like--passport-ownership -drivers licence-insurance-Now I cannt find that page Do you know where I can find it again???

On ‎2015‎-‎02‎-‎08 at 2:34 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Either Ciudad Victoria, as described above, or downtown San Luis Potosi. If the latter, there are concerts on the plaza Sunday evenings. We used Hotel Concordia in Centro, $40 with inside parking and a restaurant. Good walking in centro.

Another question about driving out of PHARR to Lake Chapala Are these routes TOLL roads or even 4 lane roads??As you can tell I am counting on you for your vast information?/

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2015 at 1:34 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Either Ciudad Victoria, as described above, or downtown San Luis Potosi. If the latter, there are concerts on the plaza Sunday evenings. We used Hotel Concordia in Centro, $40 with inside parking and a restaurant. Good walking in centro.

Hotel Concordia has been closed for almost 6 months and is being completely remodeled inside and out. They have torn down the inside walls and have the outside boarded up on the sidewalk and now are replacing all the outside windows and doors.

Some of the roads have been improved since we last drove that route, and some have the option of libre or cuota. So, just follow the signs and make your choices.

Hotel Concordia was a great old hotel. But, I can see the need for modernization with more larger rooms, maybe even heat and AC. The location is perfect.

Thanks for the update, Alan.

17 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Are there any decent eating places in the Centro that are not very expensive ( less than a VIP's prices). What hotel/motel would you recommend, under 600 pesos, or thereabouts?

La Oruga in the walkway at  Plaza San Francisco, La Parroquia and Carl´s Jr. in Plaza de los Fundadores are the only places I eat at in the Centro Historico. My friend stayed for a week at the Hotel Real Plaza 7 blocks north of Plaza de los Fundadores on Av.Carranza for $600.00 pesos and it is very nice. I see signs on some hotels with special prices and usually the signs on nice looking hotels are all around $600 to $850 pesos. It seems they might always bargain as there are far too many hotels here. I just went to Booking.com and they are quoting about $1,000 pesos or more for these hotels.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2015‎-‎09‎-‎20 at 8:05 AM, Mainecoons said:

I leave here at 6:30 AM and arrive at the U.S side of the Pharr bridge no later than 5:30 PM and usually closer to 5PM. After crossing I stop by Costco for some gas and eats and go to one of the many reasonably priced hotels in the Pharr/McAllen area.

That new west side bypass around San Luis Potosi approaching completiong should shave another 15 minutes off.

Making the trip north on Sunday is also a time saver. A lot less truck traffic.

\

Wondering about gas stations  leaving from Pharr to lake side.Do you  know how many and where.

Fill up in Pharr before you cross the bridge.  Not recommended to stop for anything before you get out of Tamaulipas state.  If you look at the directions I sent you gas stops are included.  Our Honda CRV easily makes it to outside of Ciudad Victoria on 3/4 tank of fuel.

RV   so there is a immigration office at Progresso Do you remember how far past the bridge going into Mexico.I have only walked across that border not looking for immigration.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎14 at 3:40 PM, RickS said:

Ken, remind us about just 'when' you are going to make this trip....

We are crossing the border on November 30 our rental in ajicic starts on December 1st.We are planning on 2 days .

3 hours ago, KEN said:

RV   so there is a immigration office at Progresso Do you remember how far past the bridge going into Mexico.I have only walked across that border not looking for immigration.

Immigration is at the very foot of the bridge. Watch for their parking lot on the right as you approach the end of the bridge.  Banjercito is also there for car permits, and there was an ATM just outside the street door, or a bank across the street when we last used that crossing.

Archived