Chapala.com Webboard

Places to Stay along the Way

Zeb

I know this information is on the board...somewhere. I did some searches and couldn't find what I wanted without reading so many posts....

We'll be driving from Texas to Ajijic and crossing at Pharr. I'd appreciate suggestions on places to stay along the way. Comfortable bed is important. I think having options along the way will be helpful in case we have to make more stops than anticipated. First stop probably McAllen.

For convenience, we usually used Motel 8, one exit west of FM1915, which is the road south to Nuevo Progresso, a good daylight border crossing with a wonderful breakfast stop at René‘s restaurant and bakery. From there, we drop down to Rt 2 and head toward Reynosa, but before getting there, we take 97 south, then 101 to Ciudad Victoria. In Centro we stay in the old Hotel Cierra Gorda, which has a restaurant and guarded secure parking at the rear entrance. It is close to good walking, other restaurants, etc., and it is an easy drive to Lake Chapala the next day.

RV's route is a fair piece out of your way if one wants to make the run from Pharr to here in one day. From where you are coming from, you'll be coming in on Texas 281, a very fast divided four lane road.

There are numerous budget motels right on 281 between Edinburg and Pharr. We've had good results with the Comfort Inn in Edinburg and the more expensive but very nice and well located Holiday In Express in Pharr.

Crossing at Pharr is an absolute snap, from the entry point you go immediately onto an express cuota to the 97 south without any stops other than the toll and without driving through any urban area like you have to do if you cross at Reynosa or Progreso.

If we hit the border just as it is becoming light, we easily arrive in Ajijic with two hours of daylight to spare.

Just a reminder to check what is happening around Reynosa. My last read a day or two ago was that the autopistas and rural roads around that area was the scene of running gun fights and blockades between Federal Police and Narcos. Just be very careful, and if stopped by a blockade, probably best to do just as they demand. Hopefully, all will go good for you.

Either Ciudad Victoria, as described above, or downtown San Luis Potosi. If the latter, there are concerts on the plaza Sunday evenings. We used Hotel Concordia in Centro, $40 with inside parking and a restaurant. Good walking in centro.

Either Ciudad Victoria, as described above, or downtown San Luis Potosi. If the latter, there are concerts on the plaza Sunday evenings. We used Hotel Concordia in Centro, $40 with inside parking and a restaurant. Good walking in centro.

Thanks. I found it on line.

Anybody have suggestions on where to eat along the way.

That is along the way from McAllen to Chapala; In Ciudad Victoria, there are motels just north of the city, and other hotels on the same downtown square as the Hotel Sierra Gorda. In San Luis Potosi, there are many chain motels as you approach, circle or leave the city. What else might you need? Or, are you looking for other places in other towns along the way? You can find them all if you use Google to search, “Hoteles en __________“. The US travel sites will give you the expensive ones, while the government lists of hotels will also include the more economical options.

I usually stay at the Hampton Inn in Cd. Victoria. It is at the north end of the city near Liverpool and Home Depot.

• 3 weeks later...

We've stopped a couple of times now in hotels along the road to the airport, in NE Monterrey. Lots of good clean chain hotels along the road to the north entrance to the airport, and an extremely easy short route back onto the highway north (although we've been doing Laredo not Pharr).

Unfortunately I can't give you directions to get to that road from the roads north to Chapala as we've gone in circles both times and wandered all over Monterrey before we hit on it (2 weeks ago we ended up going through the middle of downtown Monterrey, while hauling a horse trailer). Theoretically it should be easy. Sigh. We have a GPS but it goes blank once we get south of the Rio Grande - we keep on saying we should get another one, and we don't....

BTW - several nice restaurants along that road too, a few chains like Chili's and then a lovely local Mexican one. Trip Advisor has good reviews of them.

• 3 months later...

In Monterrey I recently stayed at the City Express on 85 just north of the Saltilo-Monterrey cuota. Very clean and a little over $800 MX for a single - similar format to a Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn. Bonus - they just opened up a big new Carl's Jr. in the front parking lot of the hotel - one spot stop. Also, you can jump onto Hwy. 1 right across the street (if crossing at Columbia) or continue up 85 (if crossing at Laredo) for an early start for a run to the border in the morning.

Thanks for that info.

Have/would you actually take Highway 1 from there up towards the Colombia crossing? That is right out through the 'plaza' that seems to have the most 'action' in that are of the border. That may have calmed down in the last year, but......

Highway 1 goes north from Monterrey up towards the border and 'generally' towards the Colombia crossing. It runs to the west of highway 85 Monterrey-Laredo and is not toll.

My question has to do with "previous" cartel activity 'out in that neck of the woods'.

Note that that crossing is spelled Colombia, not Columbia.... just saying.

Yes, I have used Hwy#1 going northbound as recently as last week. Very light traffic and you can make good time on it as it comes out right at the Colombia crossing. It is a typical 2 lane Mexican road with no shoulders so may not be to everyone's liking. Some spectacular scenery though and different than the 85 route. North of Anahuac you turn left on the feeder road that takes you into Colombia and for the first 5-6 kms. there is a stretch of road with a lot of potholes - probably water damage due to the recent rains. If you are careful you can avoid them. Also very isolated as is Hwy. 2 so not a place I would venture into after dark.

• 2 months later...

Would it be safe for 2 females to drive by car from Texas 281 to Ajijic? Can we make it in one day if we start early? Is it toll all the way?

Lots of ladies do it, and it is possible in one day but not recommended for your first trip. Plan an overnight stop and drive in daylight only, taking it easy and paying attention to the big green signs. Know where you are toing toward, passing by, and where you actually want to enter the various cities along the way, always favoring the next place you are going toward.

Remember that the days are getting shorter as winter approaches, giving you less and less daylight.

I've made the border to Ajijic run many times by myself and with others. I know it seems scary when it's your first time but just relax, plan on a stop to sleep one night and make it into Ajijic a lot less stressed. If you have good maps or a GPS, stop as many times as you have to to study where you are going and hope your navigator doesn't panic if you miss an exit. Follow the signs for the next one or two cities ahead. Mexican freeways are similar to US freeways in that if you miss an exit, go to the next exit where you see an overpass or a light under the freeway to make a return (and don't panic). I've gotten mixed up in Monterrey, San Louis Potosi, Lagos de Moreno and missed the one exit from the highway coming up the mountain from Monterrey to freeway going south to Chapala and wandered around even going the wrong way up a short on-ramp and went thru the same toll booth twice(even though I had been through it 10 minutes before I still had to pay.) I'm alive to tell and laugh at the story because I didn't panic but kept my head. The most helpful motto for driving in Mexico is, "as long as no one gets hurt, everything is OK". It's really not too bad and you will later laugh about your first trip.

Let me know if you want photos of the burros I was dodging while on a mile long dirt track between an east and west length of freeway. Ya do and go where you gotta go.

Would it be safe for 2 females to drive by car from Texas 281 to Ajijic? Can we make it in one day if we start early? Is it toll all the way?

You can easily make THAT in a day, but not a lot of tolls. Ask Mainecoons.

You can easily make THAT in a day, but not a lot of tolls. Ask Mainecoons.

I leave here at 6:30 AM and arrive at the U.S side of the Pharr bridge no later than 5:30 PM and usually closer to 5PM. After crossing I stop by Costco for some gas and eats and go to one of the many reasonably priced hotels in the Pharr/McAllen area.

That new west side bypass around San Luis Potosi approaching completiong should shave another 15 minutes off.

Making the trip north on Sunday is also a time saver. A lot less truck traffic.

\

Archived