Chapala.com Webboard

Photos for Canadian Passport Renewal

Ezzie

Attended to an appointment today at the Canadian Consulate in Guadalajara to get our paperwork checked over and pay to have my wife's passport renewed. To my surprise, they are passing out a list of photo studios that they recommend people use in the Lakeside area now due to difficulties they have had recently with some applicant's photos. The list provided has the following recommendations.

Foto Studio del Lago

Av. Madero #238-C

Chapala

Tel: (376) 765-3548

malvagarmx (at) yahoo.com.mx

Estudio Zaragoza

Lopez Cotilla #290

Chapala

Tel: (376) 765-3495

Jaime.zaragoza (at) Sanmina-sci.com

The lady (receptionist?) indicated they have had problems with photos produced for applicants at Foto Luz (in the alley behind the vet on Madero), I believe she indicated the pictures supplied had incorrectly sized subjects relative to the background.

Other interesting thing, they will only accept a Credit Card payment (NOT Debit) or cash in Mexican Pesos (must have exact amount). The peso cost today for a 10 yr. renewal was $3,070 MX (including the Consular service fee). You still need to take the package to a courier and pay to send it to the Embassy in Mexico City as well as pre-pay the return to you.

PS - They still have John Baird's photo hanging in the lobby!!

• 1 month later...

Do you know if they also accept photos from the Genesis Digital photo studio at Ocampo #34 in Ajijic?

I downloaded a Credit Card Authorization from the Government of Canada website and was hoping to use this rather than having to go to the Canadian Consulate in Guadalajara.

I thought the third option is to obtain an international money order in Canadian funds.

Do you know if they also accept photos from the Genesis Digital photo studio at Ocampo #34 in Ajijic?

I downloaded a Credit Card Authorization from the Government of Canada website and was hoping to use this rather than having to go to the Canadian Consulate in Guadalajara.

I thought the third option is to obtain an international money order in Canadian funds.

I renewed mine in January I sent everything including the credit card authorization directly to the Canadian embassy in Mexico city with the prepaid return slip no problem. We used to have to go to the consulate in order to pay with the credit card slip this is no longer necessary. We now can get a 10 year passport making life much easier.

Don't shoot the messenger but I guess I am guilty of unclearly passing along the information I was given in my original post. I did not get the feeling that they will accept ONLY photos from those studios - just that those studios are RECOMMENDATIONS since they have demonstrated that they produce ACCEPTABLE photos for passport renewals. The lady that provided this information said they had had some problems with the photos of people that had used PHOTO LUZ.

PS - took less than three weeks to get the passport renewed.

Thanks for the clarification and changing your post to reflect that more clearly. I was beginning to think that the Mexican bureaucracy mindset has crept into our gov't offices...

(EDIT: not that our gov't doesn't have its own weird bureaucratic flaws.)

A neighbour applied in December for a new passport using photos taken in Chapala and they were rejected so another delay for her.

Archived