Chapala.com Webboard

Passport renewal

gwynne

It's a good thing I looked at my passport.......it's about to expire! EEEK!

I seem to recall that you can take care of this at the LCS when the people from the consulate are there. Can you still do that? Do you have to be a member of LCS? What paperwork do I need?

My passport expires in May, so I'm assuming I still have enough time......?

Gwynne, we just did ours last year and it was so easy. We did ours at the Legion, they come on the same day as LCS but just 1 hour earlier. After you get it back make sure you check the date. A lady in front of us only got hers renewed for 5 years and had to have them re do it.

Here's the relevant link to the US Consulate page:

http://guadalajara.usconsulate.gov/service/reference-lists2.html

I renewed at the legion last summer. There was no photographer, but I got my pictures ahead of time. I live in Ajijic and I got my pictures at the photographer on Ocampo, across the street and just east of Manix restaurant. I got my check at Banco CI in the Laguna Mall.

I went to the American Legion. It was a fun group and I had a good breakfast while I waited.

For Nopalesflower. While the permanente card may be officially recognized for legal purposes, few institutions will accept it. Why? I would guess its because it is too easy to fake.

You will soon discover that most banks, notaries, government offices and police will only take a copy of your valid passport as proof of identification. They will not accept the permanente card.

You will soon discover that most banks, notaries, government offices and police will only take a copy of your valid passport as proof of identification. They will not accept the permanente card.

That is not correct.Banks,police,and government offices have accepted my Temporal card on many occasions.

There are circumstances when your passport will be required,the original, not a copy.

OK.......I'm ready to go. I have my old passport, my DS-82 Renewal Application, and my 2" x 2" photos.

What I don't have is the fee. The government site says the fee is $110.00 USD. So do I go to the CI bank when they open at 9:00 in the morning and ask for a bank check for $110.00, paying in pesos at whatever the exchange rate is?

My plan is to go to Chapala and catch the consulate people at the American Legion at 9:30. Then, when something isn't filled out correctly, I MIGHT be able to correct it and catch them at the LCS at 11:00.

Sound like a plan?

OK.......I'm ready to go. I have my old passport, my DS-82 Renewal Application, and my 2" x 2" photos.

What I don't have is the fee. The government site says the fee is $110.00 USD. So do I go to the CI bank when they open at 9:00 in the morning and ask for a bank check for $110.00, paying in pesos at whatever the exchange rate is?

My plan is to go to Chapala and catch the consulate people at the American Legion at 9:30. Then, when something isn't filled out correctly, I MIGHT be able to correct it and catch them at the LCS at 11:00.

Sound like a plan?

Yes, you have a good plan. Just take pesos to CI Banque and get the check. I printed off the page from the consulate and took it to CI Banque so I would be sure they made out the check correctly. I went to the Legion maybe half an hour early and got my name on the list. Then I had breakfast. Everyone who was waiting was helpful and cheerful. The consulate was very patient and helpful.

Fees to be paid in Chapala:

"Basic passport application requirements can be found at the link provided below. Please note that additional documentation may be required. NO CASH/CARD TRANSACTIONS IN CHAPALA (ONLY TRAVELERS CHECKS OR BANCO CI CHECK)"

http://guadalajara.usconsulate.gov/pptrenewals2.html

"Fees

The total fee for an adult passport renewal is $110 USD + delivery service fee.

Fees must be paid in the Consulate at the time of your appointment. Payment must be made in cash, either U.S. dollars or the Mexican peso equivalent, or with a major credit card. Credit cards will be charged in U.S. dollars. Checks cannot be accepted. The delivery service fee must be paid in cash in Mexican pesos.

"Appointments - Passports

Adult passport renewals using form DS-82 do not require an appointment, and walk-ins are accepted between 2:00 PM – 2:45 PM Monday through Thursday. Other passport applicants must make an appointment and apply in person. Appointments are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 11:30 am."

I went to the US Consulate in Guadalajara in December without an appointment and paid in pesos [$50.00 USD equivalent] for a notozised document that I had used both middle names on my documents and my US passport has only one middle name and am the same person for the INM office here who requuired the notorized document from a US Consulate in Mexico.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of Canadian Passport Renewals from abroad: last time I did this I mailed the application et al to the Embassy in Mexico City. At the time the consulate in Guadalajara was not taking them. Now I see on the renewal site (http://travel.gc.ca/assistance/embassies-consulates/mexico) that the consulate in Guad is listed, but does not specifically state "Passport services available"... while the Mexican Embassy does make that statement.

I personally found it easier to mail off a registered letter to Mexico City than to go to Guadalajara to the consulate. And will be happy to do the same again... but is it known whether or not the consulate will take applications, or do they just mail them to Mexico City as well?

Archived