Chapala.com Webboard

Upscale Mexican cuisine in New york

cbviajero

Just read a review in the NYTimes about (Cosme) where a meal for two with wine and desert will set you back about 4000 pesos,some of the dishes mentioned were duck carnitas and chicharron with avocado and radishes..

Cosme is a Restaurant by mexican renowned chef Enrique Olvera.

If you want to try out his food, his restaurant PUJOL is in Mexico City and offers the same menu probably.

I lived in mexico city for 5 years and there's more gourmet mexican options than PUJOL for half the price.

I also went last week to a restaurant that offers a mexican menu similar to what you are talking about here in Ajijic, and it's really good.

A family member likes our local food so much, when she goes back to Canada she is always looking for new authentic Mexican places (until recently, most were TexMex jernts). The price is much higher than here, and that's understandable, but she yearns for simple tacos for 9 pesos like on the plaza in San Antonio. (So she's learned how to make a lot of Mexican dishes.) But this New York place sounds like that upper-crust concept that's become so widespread there, where you can easily pay $100 a person for lunch. Truly, there is no food worth that price... unless you have the money.

Just read a review in the NYTimes about (Cosme) where a meal for two with wine and desert will set you back about 4000 pesos,some of the dishes mentioned were duck carnitas and chicharron with avocado and radishes..

Yes, but the ducks are handfed by Tibetan monks at a private reserve in Southhampton. And, for the more modest budget, Cosme offers an earlybird lunch special for just under $2500 MXN. 12-12:30 pm only. No wine included.

In my opinion, i don't mind paying a lot for a meal if it meets my standards. Price has nothing to do with quality; however, paying 2500 for a nice lunch made by one of the best chefs in the world would be something i would definitely do (again)

There's foodies, Gourmands and people who just don't care. So i guess there's always something for everyone.

This is the genius behind Cosme, had the pleasure to meet him back in Mexico City a couple of years ago; easy going, friendly and with a great passion for his countries food.

If you can afford it, i guarantee his restaurants in Mexico and NY wont's disappoint; there's also a couple of restaurants that have taken inspiration of his food, the ones that i have visited that take inspiration of Chef Olvera and come close around this area are: Ofelia Bistro in GDL and the Mexican food at hacienda del lago is also very creative, i posted a review a couple of days ago.

However, don't expect Cosme or any restaurant of Mr. Olvera to be traditional Mexican food. If you want traditional Mexican, go to any street taqueria or small family owned "fonda"

http://www.starchefs.com/cook/chefs/bio/enrique-olvera

The ‘occupied part‘ should explain it all; even the dollar sign. There are other hints right here on this page.

Hmm... no i didn't get it, and as far as i know $ indicates money, not currency (USD stands for United states dollars, MXP stands for Mexican peso, etc) ... i didn't get the "rub it in" part either; i'm not rubbing anything in and if you thought i did i apologize.

I also didn't get where did you just got back from lunch, i would love if you explained it better to me :)

54 bucks for 4 people if the food is good doesn't seem to me that much; of course depending on the food quality, if you had drinks, etc. $13.5 USD each seems average for most restaurants around here.

Sorry for not understanding your post, if you'd be more detailed about what is "occupied" and where did you go for lunch :P

I have never understood how people can equate price with quality and/or pleasure when it comes to food.

I have personally experienced meals that cost less than $3 dollars that have almost brought me to tears with their honest, pure flavours and lovingly-prepared fresh ingredients. I have also had meals costing over $100 dollars from "fine restaurants" that I've shrugged at afterwards.

Cost has nothing to do with the pleasure one should derive from eating. Is a person from a modest upbringing any less a human being than one born with a silver spoon in his/her mouth? Do you look down on someone because of their "pedigree"?

If you can approach food from the same viewpoint as you do people, you will have many more richly rewarding experiences for the effort. And with much more money left over to keep on eating!

I actually just went to a street taqueria in Ajijic that served some AMAZING tacos, it was a 3-4 USD meal and WOW, so far the best iv'e had here, it's just inches away from the "seis esqinas" plaza... A MUST!

I actually just went to a street taqueria in Ajijic that served some AMAZING tacos, it was a 3-4 USD meal and WOW, so far the best iv'e had here, it's just inches away from the "seis esqinas" plaza... A MUST!

Where is this place "seis esqinas"? I would like to try their tacos.

Hmm... no i didn't get it, and as far as i know $ indicates money, not currency (USD stands for United states dollars, MXP stands for Mexican peso, etc) ... i didn't get the "rub it in" part either; i'm not rubbing anything in and if you thought i did i apologize.

I also didn't get where did you just got back from lunch, i would love if you explained it better to me :)

54 bucks for 4 people if the food is good doesn't seem to me that much; of course depending on the food quality, if you had drinks, etc. $13.5 USD each seems average for most restaurants around here.

Sorry for not understanding your post, if you'd be more detailed about what is "occupied" and where did you go for lunch :P

He's referring to Mexico norte, the part that was taken from Mexico in the Mexican/American war. Tuscon, AZ is in that area. But wait, RV, is Tuscon actually in what was the Gadsden Purchase? They needed money and the US wanted to build a railroad line through there if I remember. They also offered all of Baja California but I guess the US didn't have the cash.

He's referring to Mexico norte, the part that was taken from Mexico in the Mexican/American war. Tuscon, AZ is in that area. But wait, RV, is Tuscon actually in what was the Gadsden Purchase? They needed money and the US wanted to build a railroad line through there if I remember. They also offered all of Baja California but I guess the US didn't have the cash.

THX! i get it now LOL.

well, there's also nothing of interest (except beautiful landscapes, wine and beaches) the States would want in Baja.

It's only my opinion, but spending $2500 pesos on lunch is obscene.

How many families, how many children, could be fed for that amount?

But, I guess everyone has their own priorities; helping your fellow man also applies to rich and famous chefs, too.

I'm sorry for being so snide, but I see far too much poverty each and every day down here to understand how casually people can take money for granted.

Yeah, i get it. However iv'e learned everyone has their "eccentric" thing. Some people gather cash for luxury cars, some others have a big home that they don't need, shoes... You name it.

Poverty is a serious matter, and we should all make our part; at least i do... However, i love food, and i don't mind spending some cash for a AMAZING experience if i can afford it.

What makes me really angry is when you spend a lot of cash in a restaurant and it wasn't worth it.

Poverty is a serious matter, and we should all make our part; at least i do... However, i love food, and i don't mind spending some cash for a AMAZING experience if i can afford it.

The two dishes mentioned in the article that I referred to in the OP,duck carnitas in a skillet and chicharron with avocado didn't look at all amazing to me,I could put together the same chicharron platter in five minutes with 30 pesos worth of ingredients.

The two dishes mentioned in the article that I referred to in the OP,duck carnitas in a skillet and chicharron with avocado didn't look at all amazing to me,I could put together the same chicharron platter in five minutes with 30 pesos worth of ingredients.

Well, that may be true, however i can print out the Mona Lisa on office max for 100 pesos...

I thought the same too before going to one of Chef. Olvera's restaurants, and i left amazed, no way to describe what was going on in my palate.

Traditional mexican restaurants are usually on the expensive side in the US. A friend has one in Ireland and he told me prices for simple spices and some ingredients are ridiculous, so that's the reason.

Archived