Chapala.com Webboard

New mexican food at Hacienda del Lago

Rubenfrias

Well,

I went to Hacienda del Lago to try their food for this season last Thursday; even though i had never gone to the place (new in town) I had heard a lot about the setting and they're food quality; however they also mentioned that it was quite expensive... so i went with a heavy wallet to try out.

Pictures truly don't give this place any credit, it looks amazing in photos, i didn't expect it would look better in person: Amazing gardens and great ambiance in general.

i was shown to my table by a very friendly and attentive guy, i don't recall his name but he serves as the waiter-bartender; hands down is the best service i've had so far in Ajijic, absolute KUDOS to that.

When they handed the menu i was expecting very high prices, and i was surprised that they were pretty average to the area; the waiter told me that since they did a contemporary mexican menu, they could now offer better prices; as the past restaurant was french and the ingredients were more expensive.

They offer a three course prix fixe for 290 pesos and it includes a glass of wine or a margarita; i had a margarita and a glass of wine too (well, why not haha) and they were pretty good, they kindly explained that they have an all mexican wine list. The house wine is really good (for 55 pesos) and the pours are really generous, so they got me in love right there.

The menu offers plenty of options, and since all of the dishes in the menu are included in the Prix fixe you will have a hard time picking your dishes; i was between the duck confit in a red fruit mole and the arrechera steak with plantain puree and hibiscus mole, i ended up having the arrechera. For starter i decided to have 3 tacos from their gourmet taqueria of fish pastor.

The tacos were amazing, i had tried pastor tacos before, but had never had fish pastor... Quite an interesting combination, they put grilled pineapple in them too, really nice.

The arrechera was nice and tender, the mole was really good, i had never tried anything like this and was quite impressed.

For dessert i had some homemade ice cream, they had tequila, mint and some other one that is made with a mexican candy and can't remember the name. They were really good, but as a comment, they should work on their dessert menu; as they only have a couple of options.

We ended up our dinner with a fresh made french press and a coffee desert cocktail suggested by the waiter made from some spanish liquour... WOW! i have to go back just to ask what liquor is this as i don't remember and was fantastic.

They also gave us some house made tequila infusions as a comp. they were pretty nice and unique.

For sure we will be going back, i wan't to try that duck confit!

Archived