Chapala.com Webboard

MAC Yosemite -to upgrade or not?

Semalu

I keep getting prompted to upgrade to "Free" Yosemite OS for my Mac air (currently running Lion 10.7.5). I read about it online and response to the upgrade is quite polarized; love it or hate it, with little inbetween. Has anyone out there tried this yet and do you have any experiences that you want to share?

I upgraded a couple of months ago, on my iMac, and it was a rather seamless change; so much so that I have noticed little difference of consequence in my type of usage. However, I feel that it is wise to upgrade in order to keep the OS from becoming obsolete for as long as possible.

I have a MacBookPro 2009 that has been on 10.6.9 for yrs. So I purchased a 1Terabit Portable HD partitioned it, backed up all legacy portables kicking around & installed Mavericks in 1 partition. This way on startup if I hold down the option key I can choose the OS system that I want hence all my familiar apps are still their & accessible. Have been thinking of doing the same thing with Yosemite. I usually wait till apple is into 3rd to 4th release.

The Old If It's Working, Do Not Mess With IT!

I upgraded to Yosemite a couple of months ago. It looks a little different--cleaner, I suppose--but otherwise, as someone posted upthread, it's been seamless. No problems, no issues at all.

Thank you all for your replies. Since I preferred the increased security provided by the upgrade and bit the bullet and have now made the upgrade. Other than running a tad slower, there are no ill effects. That slowness may just be me getting used to the new loo ( a tad flat and boring compared to the old but extraneous overall). Mountainview, thanks for the link. It was very helpful. Turns out the text issues mentioned are customizable if required.All in all, seamless.

Hi All,

The "feature" that seems to be greatly disliked by the majority of users that have upgraded to Yosemite is when you maximise a screen it goes into "Full Screen" mode. One must get used to holding down the Option key to avoid this occuring.

I understand some think it's great but I don't know anyone that does so.

YMMV

Archived