Chapala.com Webboard

No point in crying over spoiled milk !!

Arjay

Believe what you like. Get to the store of your choice when they open in the morning and see what condition their freezers are in. There is not much spoilage that you would notice in the freezers because anything that thawed would be cold, then refrozen and who would know? Electricity is sooo expensive here that it's certainly economically worth it to turn off the freezers.

Ah, so you're just guessing. But that's okay. I have a really smart friend who started telling me the other day about the CIA conspiracy to take down the twin towers on 9/11, and he's still my friend.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bennie2

CIA was involved but lets get back to freezers/refridge. i dont think they turn them off @ night. they would lose too much business. once ponchos broke & he didnt sell most of the stuff. what could happen is that the products spoil in transit. the other thing that could happen is that it does go off from a power outage & somethings spoil.

Most of us can get milk from an aborrotes within walking distance or even spitting distance so why all this worry about a non-issue.

I don't know if the aborrotes sell lite milk at the same price (haven't tried them to be honest) but spoiled / sour milk is definitely not a non-issue. What a strange thing to say.

I don't know if the aborrotes sell lite milk at the same price (haven't tried them to be honest) but spoiled / sour milk is definitely not a non-issue. What a strange thing to say.

Because I see it coming in fresh every day along with the pan still hot and smelling great direct from the bakery. It's not strange at all and I'm not going to spend money on gas to save a few centavos for milk when I can get it 12 feet away. Never had spoilt milk in the many years that we have been here,so yes,it's a non-issue and it can be for all of you complainers too. In addition,haven't any of you people noticed that you can shop here European style[as in fresh] and that "large" refrigerators and freezers are totally unnecessary?

I am generally not a complainer. I use the three aborrotes near my house to buy a lot of products almost every other day. I do not find light milk at any of them but I do find it at my local OXXO which, unlike my local aborrotes, is open 24 hours a day. I do not buy ice cream at any of the aborrotes because they have always had ice crystals in them and other signs of not being kept at the proper temperature at some point along the route from production to my freezer. I buy big products like chicken, fruit and vegetables from the Mercado which is also within walking distance from my house. I admit I stop at Super Lake when I get my mail just to buy peanut butter (never at any of my aborrotes) and I buy those wonderful 21 peso bags of home made cookies. The person baking them needs a big handshake because none of the cookies--none--are the quality I had before I moved here except those cookies :P ! These aren't complaints. They are just the reality of using the local aborrotes (which I like) that cannot have the same variety of products you might find at a larger store with space. If you need more variety I understand completely and say that to each his / her own.

Ah, so you're just guessing. But that's okay. I have a really smart friend who started telling me the other day about the CIA conspiracy to take down the twin towers on 9/11, and he's still my friend.

No, I'm not guessing. I have done exactly as I suggested others to do--go to the store when it opens and inspect their freezers. You don't have to believe me--in fact it would be unwise if you did. Check it out for yourself.

Because I see it coming in fresh every day along with the pan still hot and smelling great direct from the bakery. It's not strange at all and I'm not going to spend money on gas to save a few centavos for milk when I can get it 12 feet away. Never had spoilt milk in the many years that we have been here,so yes,it's a non-issue and it can be for all of you complainers too. In addition,haven't any of you people noticed that you can shop here European style[as in fresh] and that "large" refrigerators and freezers are totally unnecessary?

Nobody suggested spending money on gas to save a few centavos - those are your words. I expect my milk to be fresh wherever I buy it and when it's sour it is definitely not a non-issue, despite what you say. If the small stores have fresh lite milk for a little extra, I would buy it there with no problem.

Really, behnwau. Where and how a person shops is their business, and doesn't require a judgment call. Labelling everyone "complainers" and using phrases like "haven't any of you people", suggests you may not have attended any classes on diplomacy.

Now, I have two fridges, because I do a lot of prepping, cooking, and storage. I do not think of them as "totally unnecessary". I guess I could have put my 12.5 kilo Christmas turkey out in the snow in Riberas to keep it fresh after cooking...

I thought this issue of SuperLake turning off the refrigerators/freezers overnight had been resolved. A few years ago, when I worked with the organic farm (now gone), the managers told me Pancho turned off the coolers overnight to save money. I am amazed that he still does this. I have told myself that I have to start speaking to him again, that no doubt he has reformed. FORGET that! Perhaps some of us could have a little intervention with Pancho. I would be happy to be part of that. No brass knuckles, just promised local news coverage. I, for one, need SuperLake. But I do firmly intend that the owner/manager/whatever hold up his end of the bargain. Otherwise I will feel obligated to have a giant hissy fit WITH news coverage. Volunteers appreciated: We could all appear as unrefrigerated groceries. I will be the wilted lettuce; I look good in green. AND, while we are at it, I am annoyed that the parking at SuperLake is so, ah, limited. Alas, one has to have eyes 360 degrees and nerves of steel to park at SuperLake. MEMO: either Pancho needs to get with the program or someone needs to open an alternative market. Let's get organized! Who is going to be the spoiled milk? OR, perhaps some of us just need to sit Pancho down and explain the facts of life to him, such as: turn on the coolers overnight or we will, uh, ahem, take steps via the press etc. I look forward to hearing how much Pancho is losing by turning off his coolers overnight. And we are paying for this how? How much do we need to pay? Are there no authorities here who can help??? This is a public safety issue.

By media are you thinking of the Guadalajara Reporter? Good luck with that. Whenever there is an issue that needs to be looked at by the media, soft ball questions are asked and the status quo remains. Remember a couple of years ago when for one billing cycle the CFE bills were astronomical? A reporter talked with the new head of our CFE office and got a lot of BS about the billing system. As it turned out, he had been playing around with the billing system and screwed it up. How in the world is a gardener living in SJC supposed to pay and 10,000 pesos power bill. And Guad Reporter didn't even report about the real estate scandal for fear of losing advertisers.

Pancho is only the manager. The owner is interested in making as much money as he can. How many of you even knew the freezers were turned off? Did your frozen produce, pizzas, meats etc. seem as if they had been semi-thawed and refrozen repeatedly? But you noticed the ice cream. That's why the ice cream is now in separate freezers that can be left on overnight.

And why is anyone getting so worked up over something that I said, without going to check it out for yourself? Check Walmart freezers and Soriana, too.

Frozen foods like ice cream don't lie about the conditions they are exposed to. I find it difficult to buy ice cream or ice cream bars for example. Just visited Zhuat and sure enough the local commercial (related to Mega) sold me many melted ice cream bars just like here. I don't know who turns off freezers but I do know the vast majority of ice cream products are not handled properly. Where the mis handling occurs I have no idea. Maybe everywhere.

Yes of course boxed milk lasts longer as it is basically sterile milk after an extensive heating process. Commercial milk uses a different process which allows milk to maintain much but not all of its fresh taste. In Chiapis for example boxed milk is all they have. No fresh commercial milk available even at big supermarkets in many parts of southern Mexico.

So now we're just going to accept as "fact" that the freezers are being turned off? What is this, some cable news channel?

And just so you know, the Guadalajara Reporter does not have any "investigative reporters". There is one person at lakeside responsible for getting all the news, and simply reports what is said during interviews and research, CFE or otherwise. The paper does report frequently on negative news, putting it in the headlines. And they most certainly did report several times on the whole real-estate issue, but of course some people here think they know more than the paper does. Don't forget, there are many unsubstantiated story items that, when unverifiable, can not be responsibly reported.

And get your facts straight about Pancho and his family.

Okay, moderator, now I'm turning to you. The board has a policy about rumours, and this thread is turning into the most vicous and hurtful to two very strong local businesses.

Pancho's uncle Leopoldo owns the store, Pancho is merely the manager. Those are the facts of Pancho and his family, ComputerGuy.

I am NOT talking rumors. I am asking people to check out the freezers for themselves before they make up their minds if I am telling the truth or not, about Superlake, Walmart or Soriana.

I think I can safely say I know about the family. Saying Pancho is "merely" the manager is quite revealing. And yes, you started this with a bald-faced statement about the freezers, and not just in SuperLake, but WalMart and others. Telling people to check it out for themselves does not change your statement in any way. Now you have others repeating and supporting your statement, and this has become a hugely overblown and unnecessary issue, disparaging SuperLake, The Guad Reporter, and even (heaven help us) WalMart.

I've stated my piece. I will not engage in this "conversation" any more.

I like the chicken pot pie that the guy from El Chante makes and sells through Superlake. They keep them in the glass doored freezers in the back. The last time I took one out to check the date I thought my vision had suddenly gone as it was all blurry. It turned out there was 1/8 of an inch layer of ice over the whole surface.

Something seems wrong with those freezers. 4 or 5 times I've seen them closed to the public by a long tape.

I usually by lite milk at Walmart but occasionally at Superlake. I have never had sour milk.

Guest bennie2

yes i have seen the tape over the freezer in superlake. (that was years ago). i dont buy frozen food anymore but for other reasons. now i buy fresh fruits & freeze @ home. the yogart is ok from the fridge. so there are 2 reasons here why things are re frozen or thawed: 1) the system doesnt work correctly. they are too cheap to have it fixed or replaced. OR: they turn it off @ night. im convinced its one of these 2. once i was buying fish @ SL, but there was a thick piece of ice covering. could get it out. regardless of the reason its disgusting. as for confronting poncho? why go thru all the drama? i have a good relationship w/him, he has done favors for me. i buy fish @ the fish store, meats from a butcher. just avoid the freezer there & dont buy the milk.

I like the chicken pot pie that the guy from El Chante makes and sells through Superlake. They keep them in the glass doored freezers in the back. The last time I took one out to check the date I thought my vision had suddenly gone as it was all blurry. It turned out there was 1/8 of an inch layer of ice over the whole surface.

Something seems wrong with those freezers. 4 or 5 times I've seen them closed to the public by a long tape.

I usually by lite milk at Walmart but occasionally at Superlake. I have never had sour milk.

A Mexican named Martin who lives in SJC makes CPP and sells them for 3 for a 100pesos at the Tuesday market, also quiche..check the wife and husband team out

I have tried those ones as well as those made by Arturo who sells outside Superlake. The latter has the best pastry IMHO.

Archived