Chapala.com Webboard

No point in crying over spoiled milk !!

Arjay

What's up with the local milk lately? In the last couple of months we've found the milk from SuperLake, El Torito and WalMart has been going sour before the expiry date. I opened a new 1.89 litre jug this morning, expiry Feb. 4 and it was already off.

Has anyone else been finding this? It's happened 4 or 5 times in the past couple of months and has never happened before in our 9 seasons down here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't buy milk at any of those places, only at Oxxo. I think the aforementioned places turn their coolers off at night and the milk is not kept cold enough during the night. It will only get worse as the temps rise during the coming Spring. But because Oxxo is open 24 hrs. they keep their coolers running.

I found found the same thing with the silk milk, from Walmart and SuperLake, these are the ones that are not refrigerated. It is clumpy, but does not smell sour. I bought a case at Costco and it was better so I guess I will get it from there.

I used to have a problem with the ice cream at Superlake and other stores in the area. I believe it's right about the stores turning off their coolers and freezers at night because the ice cream was always full of built up frost on the outside but almost melted on the inside.

Floradude, I buy light milk all the time at OXXO in Chapala near the malecon. It has not gone "bad" on me so far. I would think that all OXXOs sell light milk if this one does. The price of the different amounts seems to be equivalent to Walmart and there are more OXXOs than the stores you mentioned locally. I hope you have better luck finding the light milk.

I don't buy milk at any of those places, only at Oxxo. I think the aforementioned places turn their coolers off at night and the milk is not kept cold enough during the night. It will only get worse as the temps rise during the coming Spring. But because Oxxo is open 24 hrs. they keep their coolers running.

I would be very surprised if stores would risk turning off the coolers overnight - much stuff would spoil and be unusable.

I tried Oxxo on the Carretera near Pemex today and they had very little milk on the shelves and there were 10 people at the cash register.

Also very little milk at SuperLake. I usually haven't found any problem finding Lite milk, though. I'm very disappointed in the quality of the milk recently. Even if the milk's not sour it has an off-taste.

We buy only the boxed milk which is ultra-pasteurized and even after opening it lasts a long time.

Boxed milk just doesn't have the taste of fresh milk. It's probably fine for tea or coffee but I like to drink a glass of nice, fresh, cold milk every day.

Guest bennie2

i dont buy milk. his cleaning products can be more 30-50% more. his fish is almost 100% more than the fish place for some fish. milk is not on my menu, but yogart is. so far no problem w/the cooler or the price.

1. Read the chapter in Judy King's book about grocery prices in Mexico, and you will never again complain about Pancho's prices. (Book is actaully on sale for Kindle right now: http://www.amazon.com/Living-Lake-Chapala-Judy-King-ebook/dp/B00FEOO00S).Not only that, last week I bought Breton crackers near stale-date at 10 pesos off and fresh navel oranges for 17p a bag.

2. A little serious thought will reveal that a store could not possibly turn off the coolers every night without spoiling hundreds of items within hours and days. Butter would deform; frozen foods would be covered with ice; pastries would be shrivelled; cheese would curl; sliced meats would turn green; mushrooms would rot, herbs would go limp and brown... etc etc etc. People would be returning products in droves after discovering sour bread, ice cream gone pulpy, seafood leaking, all the milk and cream gone bad...

i dont buy milk. his cleaning products can be more 30-50% more. his fish is almost 100% more than the fish place for some fish. milk is not on my menu, but yogart is. so far no problem w/the cooler or the price.

He provides many products that are only available north of the border. We have friends in Mexico City and their first stop when they visit is Super Lake. They say that there is not a store in Mexico City that carries the variety of NOB items that Pancho does. They always tell us how lucky we are.

We remember before Super lake opened and the 3 to 4 trips a year to the U.S. for groceries that were not available locally.

Guest bennie2

canmex87 i go to superlake 2'xs-3xs per month. sometimes torittos has the same special products so i go there they are less expensive. (superlake is cleaner). in general i shop@ small mex places.

Pancho had to put his ice cream in smaller freezers that he could afford to leave running because when he turned off the big freezers at night the expensive HazenDas ice cream would have problems. He was getting a lot of returns so he had to do something to reduce his waste and still keep his expenses down. He does not turn off the open air coolers that have cheese and meat but he does the freezers and the coolers with doors. Look at how much ice he has in his freezers sometime and feel the frozen french fries sometime right after the store opens.

Even Soriana and Walmart turn off their freezers. You have to be very careful with their ice cream.

Pancho had to put his ice cream in smaller freezers that he could afford to leave running because when he turned off the big freezers at night the expensive HazenDas ice cream would have problems. He was getting a lot of returns so he had to do something to reduce his waste and still keep his expenses down. He does not turn off the open air coolers that have cheese and meat but he does the freezers and the coolers with doors. Look at how much ice he has in his freezers sometime and feel the frozen french fries sometime right after the store opens.

Even Soriana and Walmart turn off their freezers. You have to be very careful with their ice cream.

I truly find this difficult to understand or even believe. For our previous 8 seasons here, we didn't have one problem. Surely for the amount of money they'd save on CFE, they could lose more on spoiled products being brought back and complaints from people getting sick. How do you know for sure that they turn them off? This is really troubling news.

Secondly, what has happened to Lala milk? Up until this season it was available everywhere, now it seems only at WalMart. Never had a problem with Lala. And another thing, the expiry dates are not very long. In Canada, they are usually about 2 weeks.

I truly find this difficult to understand or even believe. For our previous 8 seasons here, we didn't have one problem. Surely for the amount of money they'd save on CFE, they could lose more on spoiled products being brought back and complaints from people getting sick. How do you know for sure that they turn them off? This is really troubling news.

Secondly, what has happened to Lala milk? Up until this season it was available everywhere, now it seems only at WalMart. Never had a problem with Lala. And another thing, the expiry dates are not very long. In Canada, they are usually about 2 weeks.

Believe what you like. Get to the store of your choice when they open in the morning and see what condition their freezers are in. There is not much spoilage that you would notice in the freezers because anything that thawed would be cold, then refrozen and who would know? Electricity is sooo expensive here that it's certainly economically worth it to turn off the freezers.

I buy Lala at Oxxo but they only have one row of regular milk and one row of light (which I think is about like 2%) I'm not sure about here, but in the US a company pays the store for shelf space. Maybe that trend has come to Mexico and Lala isn't buying as much shelf space as Sello Rojo.

Archived