Chapala.com Webboard

imss catarac surgery

elrich

I would NOT suggest IMSS for surgery. IMMS is the public healthcare in Mexico, that caters to all employees (legally the company they work for has to pay IMMS)

It's not bad... however you will get your procedure done somewhere around 2016-2019.

Try a private hospital, they're way cheaper that their counterparts in the US and Canada, same quality of service (or even better) The biggest group of hospitals is the Angeles Group.

I had it done with Dr. Vargas who comes to Ajijic Clinic on Tuesday nights. 24000MXN per eye at a hospital in Guad.

The service was perfect and so was the results. Highly recommend both the doctor and the service

Some of you need to understand that paying $1500 to $2000 USD per eye is simply not an option for some people. Certainly in a perfect world everyone could simply decide whether to go to Del Carmen or San Javier, who has the nicest rooms. Unfortunately for too many people, raided pension funds, stock manipulation in 2008, mortgage fraud, and on and on, have depleted savings to the point that inexpensive options must be considered. The OP asked if anyone has experience with IMSS, can anyone answer that?

The process of getting done through IMSS is one thing, and perhaps the most difficult or frustrating part. Yhe operation itself is a piece of cake. The lens is replaced and you go home with the eye bandaged. There is no pain. The next day, the bandage is removed and you will see the result, which will continue to improve over the next week or two.

No need to be nervous.

Eirich ... A few years ago Cataract Surgery arrived in Ireland where I presently reside. An acquaintance - an Accountant with vision requiring glasses with extra-thick lens - decided to "risk it" via Galway University Hospital. The two surgeons told him he was their first "victim"! The procedure (it is NOT an "operation") was 100% successful.

I coincidentally had just made an appointment NOB for the same procedure. The cost was horrendous and included pre-medicals and after-care visits a large number of which while welcome I felt "over-icing the cake".

RV Gringo describes the procedure 100% -- It IS a piece of cake and no need to worry at all (from someone who required a nurse to hold my hand when "forced" to have the blood test!)

Go for it!

PS... I felt given my pathetic lack of guts I'd be doing the surgeon a favor to be "knocked out" - thereby adding to the horrendous cost. Since then I have met several people who had the procedure in the U.K under the National Health Service and via injection. After listening to them very carefully I would do that myself should I ever need the procedure again.

I took a friend to have cataract surgery at IMSS several years ago. The waiting room was not pretty but I could see the "operating" room when the door opened and it was clean and professional.

The procedure was successful. When he was returned to the waiting area to get his clothes, which I was holding,and then went to get dressed, he was all set and off we went.

The biggest problem with getting cataract surgery at IMSS is the waiting time to have it scheduled.

Archived