Chapala.com Webboard

Ribera vs. Rivera

bdlngton

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also noticed that the signs are over the ciclopista and they are not high enough to ride under with your bike...

I just took a good look at the signs today. WOW. Those are ridiculously low, you can barely walk under them. And so many! Another swing and a miss.

I also have been surprised by how many people move here and make little or no effort to learn Spanish. I can understand all the reasons everyone consistently mentions, but it still surprises me and wasn't at all what I was expecting when I moved here.

I've been watching cyclists this afternoon. And tonight in particular, 5 or 6 guys with helmet lights. Whoever installed them actually measured the heights correctly. What they didn't consider was that the last batch of signs, much tougher looking than these flimsy things, disappeared pretty quickly...

Is that not a very judgmental statement, cbviajero? I mean really. Look at the previous post. "People have different interests. Nothing wrong with that."

I don't see his statement as judgmental. He did start with "you would think." Yes, people have different interests but I would think that everybody would have some interest in communicating with the people of their host country. But apparently I'm wrong. People often say to me "We get by." I reply, "But you don't know what you are missing." I applaud those who try to learn Spanish.

What gives you the impression that most people don't? Just because there are only a few on here? I can tell you there are far more people not using this forum and board than are using it. We have a very small sample here.

Upfront,your post doesn't make much sense seeing as how I was referring to people on this forum.

Further, I spend a lot of time trying to pick up more Spanish, and use it with locals whenever I can,

Well,feel free to post any questions you might have here.

Buena Suerte

Pues agachate o comprate una bici mas pequeña y deja de estar chillando.

Excuse me? We brought our bikes here 8 years ago because of the wide streets where we live and the nice Ciclopista and you want me to get rid of them.

Mind your own business.

That's funny CG,when you were a moderator on insidelakeside if somebody got off topic in your little sub forum you got indignant.

Talk about the burro hablando de orejas...

That's not true at all, and a lazy pot-shot, but go ahead and continue to make all issues personal. It certainly makes this place more lively, if not a complete waste of time. Talk about taking a thread off-topic.

CG,when you and another tech geek got into a long highly technical discussion about audio capabilities and I suggested that you just pop a CD in the player and enjoy the music both of you got bent out shape and told me that my remark wasn't welcome in the tech forum.

But you know what,if you guys want to discuss road sign installations in the Learning Spanish forum go for it,me importa pura fregada.

As I recall, you were rude and being typical of so many on that site who love to jab each other. LCSCats and I were moderating, and we really wanted that forum to remain "snipe free". Posters like you were ruining that, and I told you to take the BS out of there and back where it belongs.

You really are insistent on mucking up this forum too, aren't you? I have no further comment, but I'll bet a moderator will. Or maybe you'd like to be a moderator; then you can go nuts anytime.

I believe this is a spelling error. My husband and I deal with this all the time,as,our last name is RIBERA. Our last name is actually Italian. When having to give our last name here in Mexico we get the strangest looks and they still write it as Rivera. One person even told us Ribera couldn't be our last name as it is a place and Rivera is a name!

Taking the thread back to the original topic, of Rivera v. Ribera, is RIBERA really an Italian name?

To understand a language, it's good to keep historical realities in sight. "Italy" as a country is a recent invention, since just the 1870's, with much of what people call "Italy" today being Spanish for much longer than it has been "Italy".

Context: Under the Peace of Cateau-Cambrésis (1559), almost all of Italy fell under the direct or indirect control of the Spanish until 1713, with Naples and Sicily returning to being Spanish territory for 1738 - 1798. The War of the Spanish Succession saw control of much of Italy pass from Spain to Austria, ending with the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713. But, the Spaniards regained Naples and Sicily following the Battle of Bitonto in 1738, continuing until Napoleon moved against the Spanish ("Italians"?) in 1798.

Continuing the theme of parts of "Italy" being Spanish territory, Spanish-born Don Carlos ascended the throne of a reborn Kingdom of Naples in 1734. Carlos (a Spaniard) continued in power until 1759, when he left Naples to become King Charles III of Spain

Considering that Italy did not exist until relatively recently, and that the "Italy" of the RIBERA family was likely Spanish territory for 250 years (versus the 145 years of the country of Italy), is Ribera an "Italian" name, or a Spanish name - or is Ribera a part of the somewhat-garbled use of b and v in Spanish ? - a part of the Rivera vs. Ribera confusion?

Rivera (last name), riviera, rivera and ribera, often interchanged but all with different meanings and uses

To go back to rivera Ribera riviera

riviera is not a French word but it is an English expression

The French Riviera is called Cote d´Azur in French..or blue coast.

in French "riviere" is a river not a coast but "rive" is the bank of a river

Archived