Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Phone Line

beverly111

You can get phone without internet from Telmex. I suggest you go to the Telmex office on the north side of the carretera opposite Plaza Bugambilias (where El Torito is located). They have English speaking staff who can help you. When you go in the staff are on the left hand side and you take a number from the machine and then sit down until your number shows on the display on the wall.

We have two lines, one with no internet or other services. It is less than $20 per month. So it is possible.

In the past, getting new phone lines here was difficult as they didn't have open spaces on the current exchanges. There's a new 106 exchange that might have some space for you.

It is interesting that we are seeing more people here not bother with land lines but instead rely on cell phones. The same thing is happening NOB. I'm assuming you've considered this option.

We have two lines, one with no internet or other services. It is less than $20 per month. So it is possible.

In the past, getting new phone lines here was difficult as they didn't have open spaces on the current exchanges. There's a new 106 exchange that might have some space for you.

It is interesting that we are seeing more people here not bother with land lines but instead rely on cell phones. The same thing is happening NOB. I'm assuming you've considered this option.

That's a good point about usng a cell phone instead. You can either get a pay as you go plan and top up every couple of months, depending on usage or sign up for a plan that starts around 200 pesos a month. The disadvantage is that if you are expecting calls from up north or want to call there, it may be more expensive. But if you have Magic Jack or Vonage that is not an issue.

Another drawback is having to call cell phones from a landline, for which you are charged every minute. So for example when a customer calls me from a cell phone, it costs me just to call them back. And when they do it from a U.S. based cell number, even more so.

I just went to my Telmex account page signed in and it said 044 and 045 are now free with no time limit. I hope what I read is true :) $599 package

Sadly I'm up north and I don't get a break when I call a cell in Mexico from the US or Canada.

Oh something is wrong in Seattle. While many are having snow, we near Seattle are having record setting weather. The old record was 58 and today it reached 63 F

Guest bennie2

i get 200 free cell minutes w/my landline 389 packet. not sure what you get for the one w/out internet. i would never depend upon a cell phone ever. dont even have one.

I thought that changed & that calls to cell phones no longer are charged?

You are right again; I had forgotten about that new perk. My current bill only shows a list of calls to cell phones through December 23. Let's just say it's been a drag until now. I will be a happy camper next bill.

Archived