Chapala.com Webboard

method for stopping leaf cutter ants on trees

The lime white wash is also very effective at night to increase their visibility, helps keep wayward cars from hitting them... :-D

Hominy grits is corn soaked with an alkali and fermented to remove the hard outer husk, makes it more digestible and also causes the corn to swell to twice its normal size. It is called Pozole here, available "fresh" in vacuum packed bags where you find the cream cheese and bacon at Walmarts. Also sold as masa harina for tortillas when dried and ground to a flour (finer than cornmeal which I am not sure is fermented). Anyway Masa harina is made from freshly prepared hominy and cheaper to buy.....but there seems to be other easier solutions out there where cutter ants are concerned than cooking up a witches brew!

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.
(Macbeth)

• 11 months later...

I use Tree Tanglefoot like the OP suggested and it works very well on trees ...

I threw away a whole tube of Tanglefoot before leaving the States but now I wish I had it back -- the ants have discovered my hummingbird feeder. Is there a local source? I checked online and planetnatural sells 15 oz for $5.00 USD but Amazon wants $50.00 USD for the same item! (What?)

Alternately, since a very small amount lasts a long time, is there anyone here who would like to sell an ounce or two from their stash? Or I could replace a borrowed amount when I bring some back from the States in April (if customs allows it). Thanks.

I threw away a whole tube of Tanglefoot before leaving the States but now I wish I had it back -- the ants have discovered my hummingbird feeder. Is there a local source? I checked online and planetnatural sells 15 oz for $5.00 USD but Amazon wants $50.00 USD for the same item! (What?)

Alternately, since a very small amount lasts a long time, is there anyone here who would like to sell an ounce or two from their stash? Or I could replace a borrowed amount when I bring some back from the States in April (if customs allows it). Thanks.

I have quite a bit and will give you some. PM me to arrange.

Archived