Chapala.com Webboard

TelMex speed

jrm30655

I was told by my computer guy that there are a lot of problems with Internet in west Ajijic and TelMex knows it and denies it is their problem. I have had intermittent and brief outages on a daily basis. Adrian has been in several times to tell them of these similar experiences with some of his customers in West Ajijic and nothing happens. He thinks that useage in our area exceeds current capabilities.

I've noticed that videos load much more slowly, sometimes to where I can't even watch them, no matter the platform.

I've also heard that internet speeds go down in the winter months because so many gringos are here downloading movies...just sayin'... I've also noticed that video problems occur more often on the weekends...

It's unlikely TelMex would bother "turning down" any individual customers, other than something that would reflect a change in billing. More likely it is something else.

My question to you is "how do you know your speed changed?" If you are using speedtest.net or one of those sites, your "speed" can change in seconds. Test again by downloading a large piece of software and watching the Windows gauge.

After, first thing to do is reset your modem to factory, by holding a paper clip in the hole on the back for 30 seconds or so (until the lights start changing).

A while back with my $599 package I was getting per my modem 6 megs down. I went in and asked if I could get it increased. And after about ten days the modem showed 12+ megs down. (no increase in price) A couple of months later, I discovered that my speeds went back to where they were. 6 megs down. No problem I went in with copies showing my modem settings and speedtest.net settings both before, during and after and they increased my speed again

The lady helping me at the telmex office phoned up and a few days later, I was back at 12+ down.

Who knows what it will be when I return in a few days from my month trip up north.

Archived