Chapala.com Webboard

Medications mailed to Mexico

roxelle44

Medicines can be shipped from the USA into Mexico, but the importer has to have the applicable permit, which means typical private individuals cannot legally ship medicines into Mexico. If Aduana finds unauthorized shipments of US prescription meds, they confiscate them. The OP's route through Laredo may use a licensed broker with the appropriate permit.

I have had mine shipped through Sol y Luna quite a few times. They get here, but I am not happy that Customs opens the plastic envelope they come in, takes out the paperwork and all I get is a bottle of pills. I never get the invoice or paperwork Sol y Luna charges 90 pesos plus 50% of the invoice amount for Customs. Since my meds are generic it is not too much. I see my Dr. in the U.S. Once a year, she writes me a 90 day RX with a year of renewals. I get my Medicare part D to give me a vacation refill which gives my 6 months. Get them filled at any Walmart in the states and then you can get refills at any Walmart in the States. I make at least 2 trips NOB per year.

I have been using Sol y Luna since we arrived 3 years ago and have several presciption meds shipped here through them. They may have the proper permits to do so, I don't know, nor do I care. As long as you have a prescription for your meds and you are getting them legally, then you should not worry. Yes, the packages are opened up and inspected, and sometimes they hold the paperwork, BUT, I have always got ALL my meds ALL the time. They never let me down. Just be sure to follow Sol Y Luna's instructions on how to write up your invoice. Write down "exactly" what it is and the price you PAID, and refer to them as "medical supplements".

I came across a snag when U.S. laws changed the way doctors write prescriptions for pain meds. They used to be able to write scrips for 6 months, but now, they want to see the patient every 3 months. So , it was getting costly to fly back 4 times a year. If it is pain meds that are controlled that you are getting, then you may want to consider another option. Most other meds are not affected by the new U.S. CS laws.

I now use Lakeside Medical Group (previously in Ajijic) now in San Antonio, next door to Magna Cafe. Somehow, they work with insurance companies up North and they can get MOST prescription meds that are available NOB here in Mexico, AND they bill your insurance company direct!! You pay a $100 peso co-pay!!

Lakeside Medical Group has a billing address and an office in Nevada and they work with several health insurance company's and VA. Not only did they get my meds paid for, but they covered my visits and paid for a cervical disc replacement surgery that I had done in Guadalajara in October. Three days in a private hospital room, with an extra bed for my wife, and cable TV!! All paid for by my U.S. health insurance company!!

Good luck!

I have had mine shipped through Sol y Luna quite a few times. They get here, but I am not happy that Customs opens the plastic envelope they come in, takes out the paperwork and all I get is a bottle of pills. I never get the invoice or paperwork Sol y Luna charges 90 pesos plus 50% of the invoice amount for Customs. Since my meds are generic it is not too much. I see my Dr. in the U.S. Once a year, she writes me a 90 day RX with a year of renewals. I get my Medicare part D to give me a vacation refill which gives my 6 months. Get them filled at any Walmart in the states and then you can get refills at any Walmart in the States. I make at least 2 trips NOB per year.

Joyfull, explain your situation to your doctor and ask him to write your prescription for a qty of 360 and no refills. The pharmacies have no problem with this, even Walmart fills mine withour complaint. Of course you have to do this when you can bring them down.

Archived