Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for chihuahua to adopt

Our maid's chihuahua had puppies on 30 December. I will double check with her, but I think the mom was bred by another chihuahua and I don't think all the puppies are spoken for yet.

PLEASE PLEASE don't take puppies under 8 weeks old. No matter how cute. Especially small or toy dogs. The puppies need to have 1st shots at 6-7 weeks and have time to develop an immune system. Plus the mother dog teaches the puppies dog manners and a bit of potty training during that time.

Many states NOB have laws against placing puppies and kittens under 8 weeks of age. I was on a committee that drafted and lobbied for such a law in Colorado so I heard many hours of testimony and discussion.

When her puppies were four weeks old, our Borzoi Zasha had had enough of all 12 of them and absolutely refused to feed them. I took care of them from then on...she liked to visit with them... as long as they stayed away from the lunch counter (which they had abused terribly even though they ate in "shifts") They all turned out fine... and Mikey, the one we kept, turned out extraordinary. If given my druthers I'd have had Zasha care for them till they were eight weeks... but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

My Cookie Baby (long haired Chihuahua) was 5 weeks when her mother got mastitis. Other then bonding to me like a second skin... she did fine... again.... given a choice, I'd have left her longer.

MtnMama is right. It is one thing to care for puppies whose mothers can not. It is another thing to arbitrarily remove puppies from their mothers before their immune systems are developed and they have benefited from her care and "training." Sometimes this is done because the puppies are too much work for the humans or they want the money from a sale. The puppies do not benefit from this and may sicken or even die.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived