Chapala.com Webboard

Ubuntu OS

Kiko

Anyone have first hand experience with Ubuntu that comes loaded on the Dell laptops nowadays, pm me or share it here please.

Compared to Win 8, am interested in knowing about reliability, surf speed, and if the interface can be customized between Spanish and/or English.

I had Ubuntu and dropped it for two reasons. At first I really liked it. It was faster than windows 8. The first problem was that it was difficult to download many commmon programs. Either they could only be downloaded manually or wouldn't download at all.

Ubuntu had cloud as security but it was revealed that it was not secure and hacking was taking place. At that point I decided to drop it.

thx for the feedback,

Ubuntu runs very slick and most laptops and desktops are usually not run off the cloud and are usually stand alone installs like any ordinary Windows or Mac OS, so yes its pretty secure. I have a couple of high end machines running it as well as some very old machines that are 10 years or older.

The Ubuntu software installer makes most installations very easy, in fact I have installed it on a a few client machines and it works well. Probably the worst part of the whole scenario is from a computer techs standpoint, usually nothing gets corrupted which is why it is used more and more in corporate environments "much less maintenance"

I have yet to find something I could not do in Windows that I could not do in Ubuntu for that matter any other version of Linux.

Nah, it's the damned interface. Everything starts with the Start Screen, which is the tablet interface, instead of the Desktop, which is what everyone is familiar with. Free Start buttton replacement software pretty much fixes this, and then most people never see the difference. Is Windows 8 better technically, underneath the display? I can't tell. I know the wifi causes more problems, and for many people that's a deal-breaker.

I don't use Ubuntu or any form of that OS on a daily basis, because that's not what most people have; however, those that prefer it love it. I cannot find any data on the Web about sales of these Dell Ubuntu machines, or whether they plan to continue offering it.

Certainly lots of ways to give it a try on any Windows computer... a basic download can be put on a disk and booted right into, without having to change your Windows settings, to try it out. Then later creating a partition for it can preserve Windows, if necessary, for a full-on Ubuntu install. So it's not necessary to buy a laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed.

Archived