Chapala.com Webboard

People who nationalized at the "airport"

Intercasa

I have know Gary for almost 10 years and I trusted him when he said he could legally nationalize my car at the airport, as he had done to his own car. How do you suppose I and other friends of his feel? We are more aggravated than any of you. I have talked to him several times since Sept about this issue. He has no intention of moving to Chile--don't know where that came from except from ignorant rumor-mongers. As I said, has anyone asked for a refund and if so, what happened? I talked with him day before yesterday about all of this AGAIN, and he said it's all legal. I don't know if he's in denial or just won't admit to me that he defrauded us. Doesn't matter. He owns property here which he will have to forfeit if he's found to be complicit in fraud and could possibly be deported. Obviously, gringal, you have not been following this situation over the last week or you wouldn't even mention getting "legal wheels rolling". I'm happy to let this matter settle for a bit and let Spencer do his thing to help us all.

I have know Gary for almost 10 years and I trusted him when he said he could legally nationalize my car at the airport, as he had done to his own car. How do you suppose I and other friends of his feel? We are more aggravated than any of you. I have talked to him several times since Sept about this issue. He has no intention of moving to Chile--don't know where that came from except from ignorant rumor-mongers. As I said, has anyone asked for a refund and if so, what happened? I talked with him day before yesterday about all of this AGAIN, and he said it's all legal. I don't know if he's in denial or just won't admit to me that he defrauded us. Doesn't matter. He owns property here which he will have to forfeit if he's found to be complicit in fraud and could possibly be deported. Obviously, gringal, you have not been following this situation over the last week or you wouldn't even mention getting "legal wheels rolling". I'm happy to let this matter settle for a bit and let Spencer do his thing to help us all.

I have been following this, but it's not clear what steps are being taken and the opinions are conflicting, so that's the reason for the questions. Yes, it needs to settle and I'm sure Spencer will do what needs to be done.

Spencer is proceeding with info given by those of us who were defrauded, but is waiting for answers from Mexican civil and criminal authorities to answer questions and cross their t's and dot their i's. He is looking for answers about how this can be resolved without us having our cars confiscated and have a court ruling that we must be paid refunds from "the lady at the airport" as well as Gary. These things take even more time than in the US. We need to be patient and put it on the back burner for a few weeks and concentrate on things that are more important at the moment like the latest price of meat.

PS--what I'm telling you is the absolute truth as I know it personally--can't say the same for anyone else.

Did YOU ask for a refund?

I have been told by someone who spoke directly with Gary that he was thinking about relocating there. Yes, it's hearsay, but have you asked him about that?

Whether Gary actually knew what he was doing was not legal or if he was also hoodwinked by his contact at the airport, the fact that he can still claim it was all legal is upsetting, especially if the story about the insurance company turning him down because his pedimento was fraudulent is correct. I was told this by a person who claimed to actually be present when this happened.

It would be a shame if he had to forfeit property he owns here but that is what can happen when one gets involved in something that defrauds so many people of their money. How much money is involved here? From what I know, the cost to do this process through Gary was between 25,000 and 40,000 pesos. If Gary even kept 10,000 pesos of each car he processed, that's 300,000 pesos, if there are, in fact, 30 people who contracted him to do this for them. That's quite a chunk of change in my book.

I hope that Spencer is able to get a legal judgment against Gary and, most especially, against the lady at the airport who is ultimately responsible for this situation.

To answer your questions:

1) No, I have not asked for a refund. But I did hear from someone today who did and was given the runaround.

2) I asked about Chile and he laughed and said jokingly, "maybe I should stay there," and I said, "maybe you should".

3) I believe that Gary initially thought this was all legal because at one time last year it was. But he can't possibly have thought that it was

legal when he no longer had to take cars to be inspected. This is the crux of the situation, not the pedimentos, because who

could prove what he knew, when? Plates and documents without an inspection is clearly illegal--though he did take some cars for

inspection, that was before I contracted with him. And before the airport amparo was cancelled.

4) About the insurance: I, too, talked to the person (and before you did) who was at the insurance agency when Gary was there and was not allowed to buy insurance. There was nothing said about his pedimento being fraudulent, only that his paperwork wasn't legal. This may be a small thing to you, but I'm trying to be honest and fair here.

5) I don't know how much money is involved but I doubt he was making 10K pesos on each car. Of course, I

could be wrong but regular facilitators don't make even close to that amount. It doesn't really matter how much he made on each car, only that we get a refund of some sort from him.

No, bdlngton, you are most assuredly wrong. The lady at the airport maybe responsible for duping all of us and Gary for going along with the fraud, but ultimately those of us who used their services are responsible for the decisions we made in this situation. I believe that most of us were trying to be legal without going to the border but contracted with Gary after the amparo was rescinded. It is what it is.

I think I've answered every question that anyone involved could possibly be interested in. Those of you who have no stake in this issue, butt out. We don't need to know how stupid, ignorant (insert anything you'd like here) you think we are. Those of you involved, sit back with as much patience as possible and wait.

To answer your questions:

No, I have not asked for a refund. But I did hear from someone today who did and was given the runaround.

I'm shocked!shocked to hear that they got the runaround!

Often people who are suspected of a crime are imprisoned while the investigation is done. That can take years. That would be enough for me to want to skip the country, even if I owned property here.

Depends on the crime. Financial fraud or embezzlement type crimes can be handled much different here. They can investigate the crime, ask for the money back and you are free to continue on your way without being detained at all. It might take a long time to sort out, even 2 years at times.

People need to come and see me, we are making copies of the pedimentos and finding that many people have the exact same pedimento number, the excuse the lady and other make is for pedimento with a date prior to meeting her or the other two guys in Ajijic was that they get them in bulk and then put the vehicle info later which is a lie, but two or three people cannot have the same exact pedimento number.

An Ajijic law firm is still sending people to one gringo, not mentioned here who has given fake pedimentos so beware.

Depends on the crime. Financial fraud or embezzlement type crimes can be handled much different here. They can investigate the crime, ask for the money back and you are free to continue on your way without being detained at all. It might take a long time to sort out, even 2 years at times.

I'm not sure my friend Rebecca Roth would agree with you. If you don't know her story, you can read about it here:

https://innocentvictimsinmexico.wordpress.com/rebecca-roth-a-prisoner-in-paradise/

and here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/lake-oswego/index.ssf/2010/03/former_lake_oswego_resident_rebecca_roth.html

Rebecca was not even involved with the financial crime, even the criminal said so, but ended up serving 4 years of her life in prison unjustly.

I have phone numbers with the documents and this week we will be personally going to PGR, Secretaria de Finanzas, Fiscalia, Aduana and PRODECON. We need to make sure everybody is on board and we have a plan where we get results.

I am also glad to see you take this on Spencer. Someone misinterpreted my response that you were good at putting together class action lawsuits as a sort of insult. I didn't bother responding because I know, and you know, this is the toughest form of legal work, ever. You have a group of clients, each with their own personalities, trying to keep everything focused, and still be the confident leader. It must be like trying to herd a crowd of cats! Anyways, I know you are up to the job. You go Daddio!

I am also glad to see you take this on Spencer. Someone misinterpreted my response that you were good at putting together class action lawsuits as a sort of insult. I didn't bother responding because I know, and you know, this is the toughest form of legal work, ever. You have a group of clients, each with their own personalities, trying to keep everything focused, and still be the confident leader. It must be like trying to herd a crowd of cats! Anyways, I know you are up to the job. You go Daddio!

Amazing post chillin.

You go Daddio indeed..

Let me clarify, fraud would be found when replacing plates which requires an inspection of the vehicle in Guadalajara, mere renewal is a simple payment and there is no search of the vehicle history or vehicle.

You won't "appear" to be legal unless your vehicle shows up in the Jalisco and Federal database. Even if your vehicle appears in both of these databases, you are only "quasi-legal" because you don't have a valid pedimento or a valid factura and can't sell your car in Mexico. This is where I am; my plan is to sell my car in the US, return and buy a legal car, in all respects, in Mexico. Even though no one would probably ever find out I'm not technically legal, including the insurance company, it just doesn't feel right to me. I hope everyone else will do whatever feels right for them.

Let me clarify, fraud would be found when replacing plates which requires an inspection of the vehicle in Guadalajara, mere renewal is a simple payment and there is no search of the vehicle history or vehicle.

WOW, we brought our papers in and spoke to someone in your office. Guess we need to bring them back. Who shall we show them to?

Have Denise can license plate receipt from when you got plates, title, pedimento and any receipts for monies paid to nationalize.

Archived