Chapala.com Webboard

People who nationalized at the "airport"

Intercasa

Please contact my office if you used a customs agent to nationalize your car at the "airport." Many have reported to us that their papers are fake and this could cause serious problems and we would like to see how big this problem really is and protect people from criminal liability due to the acts of others.

Office 376-765-7553

Renewal did not require the inspection of your documents; simply your license plate number and cash. It seems that some fake papers have only been discovered when trying to register such a vehicle in another state, with the associated scrutiny of the car‘s history.

Some years ago, a friend with an imported vehicle wanted to sell it and I knew a Mexican national looking for such a vehicle. In gathering and reviewing the paperwork to assist my friend in preparing for the sale, I noticed several glaring inconsistencies and obvious fake names, etc. Since the transfer was in the same state, in Chapala, these papers were not inspected any further than signing the back of the forms over to the buyer, who was also registering in Jalisco with the same plates.

Problems would arise if the vehicle was impounded or checked such as if a plate was lost as they require you to go for inspection and there they would see the papers were faked or never existed. Also if the car was stolen or totaled the insurance could investigate and not pay.

Unfortunately, the non-NAFTA cars done at the "airport" in 2015 are fakes as I noted before and as I confirmed by Aduana.

Sonia

Problems would arise if the vehicle was impounded or checked such as if a plate was lost as they require you to go for inspection and there they would see the papers were faked or never existed. Also if the car was stolen or totaled the insurance could investigate and not pay.

What is the website that we can go to and put in the info and find out if we are legal?

IF it wasn't done at the border it is not legal.

It's certainly beginning to sound that way. The other thread on this topic ("RECOMMENDATION WITHDRAWN") was closed today. I don't know why. "Old news" is all it said. But the thread was only started a few days ago, and I got the impression that some of the participants in the thread were only then discovering that they had paid for fraudulent papers.

IF it wasn't done at the border it is not legal.

I was under the impression that as recently as August people were nationalizing their cars through custom brokers at the border without the car physically being there. I remember I contacted someone about this and was quoted a price but then received an email from that agent that those channels had been shut down. I was also under the impression that Sonia had (and might have again) a way to nationalize cars without their being physically at the border. Was I mistaken about that?

There were ways to do it through amparos but those were granted supposedly by bribing federal judges then the judges were removed and amparos canceled as well as changes were published for nationalizing cars and what once was a thriving business came to a halt starting in August.

Unfortunately, the non-NAFTA cars done at the "airport" in 2015 are fakes as I noted before and as I confirmed by Aduana.

Sonia

Ok, I guess I am confused. When did the idea that non-nafta cars could be nationalized happen? And in 2015?

I thought all this was about nationalizing Nafta cars. I remember someone saying there was some short window in 2014 when Non Nafta cars could be notarized.

We have G and J cars and fully expect we will have to sell them when we become permanente. I imagine the best thing for us to do at that time is to go NOB and sell them and return and buy something here.

I remember "Gary" posting that he was the Rep. and the only one allowed to help at the airport and that he received a fee for each customer he brought. THEN, he posed the question "Is it legal?" AND, his answer was "I don't know". And, he was taking your money too. Geez, Louise ! THAT should tell everyone something, no?

There were ways to do it through amparos but those were granted supposedly by bribing federal judges then the judges were removed and amparos canceled as well as changes were published for nationalizing cars and what once was a thriving business came to a halt starting in August.

Wow! that is a huge slight to the Mexican justice system. Like it or not, amparos play a valuable role in the constitutional rights of Mexican citizens. The amparos that Sonia might use are not from "bribing judges" but are as a result of extensive lobbying and political pressure from the U.C.D. organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurso_de_amparo

I remember "Gary" posting that he was the Rep. and the only one allowed to help at the airport and that he received a fee for each customer he brought. THEN, he posed the question "Is it legal?" AND, his answer was "I don't know". And, he was taking your money too. Geez, Louise ! THAT should tell everyone something, no?

I do not remember Gary's saying he didn't know if it was legal. Was that posted on this forum?

He didn't say, "I don't know" he said that he provided the same paperwork as if you went to the border to nationalize. However, his statement is not true. You can get LEGAL papers at the border.

Some have reported he did not provide a Factura from the broker. It takes 2 documents to nationalize, the Pedimento and Factura. The Factura must stay with the car and is required when plates bought and car registered first time and for every sale of the car for the life of the car just like the "factura" bill of sale when buying a new car. It too follows the car.

Sonia

Wow! that is a huge slight to the Mexican justice system. Like it or not, amparos play a valuable role in the constitutional rights of Mexican citizens.

Amparos are probably the most abused legal mechanism in the "Mexican justice system".

Yes, to a refund. But he refuses to see that he has done anything wrong. No factura and not having the car inspected are proof that he has defrauded people. I don't see how he can deny this, but he does. He has also been getting threatening phone calls which is waaaay beyond the way people should react. While I agree that he has perpetuated a fraud on his clients, threats are just wrong!!!

Has anyone ever met a con artist who didn't seem "nice" and "honest" upon first contact?

That's part of their stock in trade. And of course, they are never going to admit to deliberatly doing people wrong. C'mon folks, we've seen a few pass through here in recent memory.

How about those who have been defrauded filing a denuncio for the purpose of at least having the possibility of justice done?

Meanwhile, I hear he is moving to Chile.

Folks should file denuncias with MP and have him arrested for fraud. That is probably the only way to make him refund his ill-gotten gains before he escapes to Chile. Once out of Mexico, he will b out of reach.

At least Gary will probably "refund" his fee to you since he accepted money for helping "fleece" people. That would be the "moral" thing to do, no?

It would be the "moral" thing to do but so far it appears he is not making any effort to refund our money. Perhaps as Yo1 says he has not accepted that he has done anything wrong even though apparently he was denied insurance when he took his pedimento to an insurance agent based on the fact that the pedimento was fake. And now he is going to Chile supposedly on vacation. I think it's questionable whether he'll return to Lakeside knowing the storm contact at the that is forming against him and his contact at the airport.

He is going to Chile on a trip that was planned last summer. Come on--it's not necessary to spread untrue rumors among the rumor-mongers on this board. He's NOT fleeing the country. He has no reason to flee because he doesn't think he's done anything wrong. Has anyone actually asked for a refund from him or are we all assuming his answer is no? Spencer is taking care of this and it will take a few weeks for anything concrete to happen--you know how slow the Mexican wheels turn. The more of us to take our paperwork to Spencer for copying, the better for the powers-that-be not to sweep this all under the rug and a chance to get some of our money back.

Yo1, you seem to be more inclined to believe what Gary says than some others do. I may have erroneous information supplied by others, but I understand that this is a vacation in Chile in preparation for a move there.

How do we know whether he "thinks" he has done nothing wrong? That sounds like a real stretch in belief, since so many people are out a considerable amount of money. Has anyone asked for a refund? If so, please report what he said.

If he hasn't offered to give the money back voluntarily, then it is time to get the legal wheels rolling to compel refunds. What has happened to all these folks who trusted Gary is just plain wrong. Morally and legally.

(Personally, I'm speaking strictly as an observer. I've had a legal car for over four years.)

Archived